Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

It's been years now that I've been looking to buy the perfect GranTurismo S to start my Maserati adventure. Finally, I've found a good offer and it's time to make a decision. I've read all the buyers guides that I could find here and still one question remains:

How do I find out which clutch is installed on the GTS that I am looking to buy?

Is it right that the GTS either comes with the 6-speed auto OR the sequential clutch? I've also heard the F1 term a lot and I suppose that's the sequential one? Which of them is newer and which of them is preferable? Or did I miss out on something? The car that I am focussing right now is a 2014 GTS with 80k kms down.

Thanks in advance!
Tim

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you see a gear shift lever, it's an automatic. If you see just buttons ("1" and "R") then it's the F1 gearbox (Maserati calls it the Cambiocorsa).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I do see a gear shift lever so it can not be F1 then. So the automatic transmission is the sequential one then? Trying to sort this out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The automatic is a regular automatic. It has paddles on the steering wheel for you to shift manually if you like.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect. The paddle shifters I do know of but I wasn't sure about the difference in the clutch type. Thanks again!

Is there any GranTurismo S (2013 and on) driver active here who would share his experience on how long the automatic clutch lasted until it needed to be renewed and at what price? I am not sure if 80k kms (50k miles) isn't a bit tricky for buying a car like that.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Perfect. The paddle shifters I do know of but I wasn't sure about the difference in the clutch type. Thanks again!

Is there any GranTurismo S (2013 and on) driver active here who would share his experience on how long the automatic clutch lasted until it needed to be renewed and at what price? I am not sure if 80k kms (50k miles) isn't a bit tricky for buying a car like that.
it’s a standard ZF torque converter transmission that does not require maintenance. It’s the one you want.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte 4 Evolutione V8 silver/black advanced engine management 415 HP
62 Posts
The automatic is a torque converter automatic gearbox.
There is no clutch to renew.(yes my technician friends , there is a clutch, but i don’t want to make it this specific)
The MC Stradale got the robotized gearbox with a normal double disc friction clutch.
For the automatic gearbox i would suggest an oilchange every 60-80k kilomoters or every 5-6 years .
ZF says its a lifetime filling , but with an oilchange and maybe flushing you could extend the lifetime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! So you would not hesitate to buy this car with this mileage as long as the price is ok? Anything specific that I should take a closer look at when I do the in-person inspection?

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte 4 Evolutione V8 silver/black advanced engine management 415 HP
62 Posts
Depends on general condition, service history and price.
At 80k brakes front an rear can be worn and at 80k is a service scheduled.
Maybe tires .
So,if the owner will avoid these costs, you’ll have to pay it .
Without tires including spark plugs it a 5k € job .

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks! So you would not hesitate to buy this car with this mileage as long as the price is ok? Anything specific that I should take a closer look at when I do the in-person inspection?
At 75k miles it calls for new plugs. It’s very easy to do. Otherwise just the usual car stuff. Oil, filters, brake and tire condition.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
350 Posts
Well 4 tips are better than two large ones, they seem to add just enough interest to the bottom of the bumper and balance it quite nicely - at least for me anyway.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The car has 80,000kms or almost 50k miles. I would not be as concerned about the transmission as I would about other wear items on the car and the overall condition/maintenance. Tires, brakes, valve cover gaskets, control arm bushings can be expensive wear items. Also consider the cost of changing all the fluids: brake, steering, differential, coolant etc. if you are having them done by a shop. This can be expensive if you are not doing any of the work yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here comes another chapter of questions: what's the difference between the MC Shift Automatic transmission and the "normal" Automatic transmission? Any big difference in maintenance or cost wise? MC Stradale seems to come with the MC Shift Automatic, unless it has the F1 one. The F1 I've already learned about. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,757 Posts
As far as I know they are basically the same hardware and no difference in maintenance. Software upgrades and some fairy dust.

C

1 - 14 of 14 Posts