Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

It's been years now that I've been looking to buy the perfect GranTurismo S to start my Maserati adventure. Finally, I've found a good offer and it's time to make a decision. I've read all the buyers guides that I could find here and still one question remains:

How do I find out which clutch is installed on the GTS that I am looking to buy?

Is it right that the GTS either comes with the 6-speed auto OR the sequential clutch? I've also heard the F1 term a lot and I suppose that's the sequential one? Which of them is newer and which of them is preferable? Or did I miss out on something? The car that I am focussing right now is a 2014 GTS with 80k kms down.

Thanks in advance!
Tim

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you see a gear shift lever, it's an automatic. If you see just buttons ("1" and "R") then it's the F1 gearbox (Maserati calls it the Cambiocorsa).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I do see a gear shift lever so it can not be F1 then. So the automatic transmission is the sequential one then? Trying to sort this out.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The automatic is a regular automatic. It has paddles on the steering wheel for you to shift manually if you like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect. The paddle shifters I do know of but I wasn't sure about the difference in the clutch type. Thanks again!

Is there any GranTurismo S (2013 and on) driver active here who would share his experience on how long the automatic clutch lasted until it needed to be renewed and at what price? I am not sure if 80k kms (50k miles) isn't a bit tricky for buying a car like that.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Perfect. The paddle shifters I do know of but I wasn't sure about the difference in the clutch type. Thanks again!

Is there any GranTurismo S (2013 and on) driver active here who would share his experience on how long the automatic clutch lasted until it needed to be renewed and at what price? I am not sure if 80k kms (50k miles) isn't a bit tricky for buying a car like that.
it’s a standard ZF torque converter transmission that does not require maintenance. It’s the one you want.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte 4 Evolutione V8 silver/black advanced engine management 415 HP
60 Posts
The automatic is a torque converter automatic gearbox.
There is no clutch to renew.(yes my technician friends , there is a clutch, but i don’t want to make it this specific)
The MC Stradale got the robotized gearbox with a normal double disc friction clutch.
For the automatic gearbox i would suggest an oilchange every 60-80k kilomoters or every 5-6 years .
ZF says its a lifetime filling , but with an oilchange and maybe flushing you could extend the lifetime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! So you would not hesitate to buy this car with this mileage as long as the price is ok? Anything specific that I should take a closer look at when I do the in-person inspection?

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte 4 Evolutione V8 silver/black advanced engine management 415 HP
60 Posts
Depends on general condition, service history and price.
At 80k brakes front an rear can be worn and at 80k is a service scheduled.
Maybe tires .
So,if the owner will avoid these costs, you’ll have to pay it .
Without tires including spark plugs it a 5k € job .

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks! So you would not hesitate to buy this car with this mileage as long as the price is ok? Anything specific that I should take a closer look at when I do the in-person inspection?
At 75k miles it calls for new plugs. It’s very easy to do. Otherwise just the usual car stuff. Oil, filters, brake and tire condition.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
150 Posts
Well 4 tips are better than two large ones, they seem to add just enough interest to the bottom of the bumper and balance it quite nicely - at least for me anyway.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The car has 80,000kms or almost 50k miles. I would not be as concerned about the transmission as I would about other wear items on the car and the overall condition/maintenance. Tires, brakes, valve cover gaskets, control arm bushings can be expensive wear items. Also consider the cost of changing all the fluids: brake, steering, differential, coolant etc. if you are having them done by a shop. This can be expensive if you are not doing any of the work yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts