Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, while trying to remove the long moulding spanning my dash, it cracked on me notwithstanding some reports that the backing is aluminum (mine is plastic). I was going to wrap it or paint it gloss black. Can anyone suggest where I could get a replacement (ideally in gloss black)?

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you’re going to wrap it, why not fix it? If you’re an American (for shipping reasons) I’ll fix it for you, i used to make automotive plastics for a living (pods, carbon, etc). I still have my hot stapler and all that stuff.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thanks to all the great suggestions. My apologies though: My ohmmeter says 0 resistance, so the backing is not plastic.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
EBay has a lot of auto dismantlers that sell Maserati parts.
How many Maseratis could possibly have been totaled in accidents to generate a substantial enough market for dismantled parts ?! I would have thought finding any salvage / used Maserati parts would be a near miracle ; if maybe a person here and there switching some stuff with aftermarket products and selling their OE parts on eBay.. Well, that’s both good ( for anyone looking for parts ) and a bit disturbing wondering what happened to all those cars ending up in salvage yards .. :oops:

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
How many Maseratis could possibly have been totaled in accidents to generate a substantial enough market for dismantled parts ?! I would have thought finding any salvage / used Maserati parts would be a near miracle ; if maybe a person here and there switching some stuff with aftermarket products and selling their OE parts on eBay.. Well, that’s both good ( for anyone looking for parts ) and a bit disturbing wondering what happened to all those cars ending up in salvage yards .. :oops:
Take a look on eBay and you'll see just how many GT parts are available. Lots!

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
Take a look on eBay and you'll see just how many GT parts are available. Lots!
That‘s why I was surprised when I read this, what would possibly cause the abundance of second market parts‘ availability ?

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,517 Posts
The platform's been around for more than a decade, so of course there would be plenty of parts available.

That also explains a bit why the GT has such terrible resale value. Maserati made way too many of them, so there's way too much supply to meet demand.

I'm sure there were also unsold GT's which were bought by salvage yards and scrapped for parts.

The GT is actually worth a lot more in separate parts than as a whole car.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
I'm sure there were also unsold GT's which were bought by salvage yards and scrapped for parts.
The GT is actually worth a lot more in separate parts than as a whole car.
Interesting, never thought of that ( salvage yards buying unsold GTs ) but makes same given how profitable that business could be.
And well, pretty much every car is worth a lot more in separate parts ( even used ones ) than whole.
There were a bunch of articles in Panorama magazine ( a Porsche publication ) asserting that even for the millions of “run-of-the-mill” 911s , the car is worth 3 X to 4 X in salvage parts than its cost new.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps a judicious application of epoxy?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Perhaps a judicious application of epoxy?
Well the issue is the rigidity of the repair. Sure you can epoxy them together, but the first time it flexes it would just snap again. There are techniques where you actually remove some material, add some holes and use a mesh weave to create a new structure, cure it then grind to shape.

There's also one on eBay for $280

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well the issue is the rigidity of the repair. Sure you can epoxy them together, but the first time it flexes it would just snap again. There are techniques where you actually remove some material, add some holes and use a mesh weave to create a new structure, cure it then grind to shape.

There's also one on eBay for $280
Thanks. Yes, but there are some issues according to the listing.

"There are cracks (refer to photos)*
There are scratches and scuffs (refer to photos)"

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 20 Posts