Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ghibli Trofeo Fuoriserie Blu Maserati / Red int.
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read a post comparing a 2000's Maserati to a 90's Toyota supra, Needless to say I was perplexed as to how someone could draw such a comparison. It did get me thinking how do people rank Maserati as a brand today?
An Idea of some categorical ranking by History, Mystique, exclusivity, uniqueness, and performance. From highest to lowest. I consider these similar competitive branding levels. Luxury performance could be bigger but starts adding minutiae. After luxury performance level just one off cars by mundane Mfg. (Yes Ford makes the GT but the brand is common car Mfg and Acura NSX, Lexus LFA, many other Mfg make one off cars doesn't change what the brand is).

Hyper cars / 1) Bugatti 2) Pagani 3) Koenigsegg? Newer

Super cars / 1) Ferrari 2) Lamborghini 3) McLaren

Luxury boutique / 1) Rolls Royce 2) Bentley 3) Maybach?

High performance boutique / 1) Aston Martin 2) Maserati 3) Porsche

Luxury performance / 1)Jaguar/Rover 2) Mercedes 3) BMW 4) Lexus 5) Audi / no Idea what order

that's it Maserati 2nd in the high performance boutique class due to Porsche making 50k 718 and 60k macan not to mention 924, 928, 944, 914, and the 912. What do you guys think, ranking wars start now. Try to be nice we all have are own reasons for rating cars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes Ferrari, Lamborghini and McLaren make hyper cars but they are know for their supercars. I also could have added Alfa Romeo to luxury performance but they only have 3 models if they are luxury performance they are last. I also rank some brands just a step down like Acura, Infinity, Genesis, Cadillac, and Lincoln. I did not rank these brands probably just considered luxury brands. Again this is about the badge not just one car. I owned a 2020 Giulia I would rank that car higher than 95 percent of the luxury performance cars made by the brands in that category.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
260 Posts
I think this is a pretty decent breakdown. I wouldn't strongly argue with any of this. Maserati is trying to get back in the slot you placed them after slipping half, maybe a full tier down when they tried to flood the market with all those lightly optioned, $599 dealer special early model ghiblis. But because of that, I'd put them behind Porsche (for now). Repositioning the brand upmarket and the MC20 helps. Now let's see this new GT.

Reactions: MaseratiByChance

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Maserati builds the most beautiful cars, and appearance is very important for me, that's why I see them far ahead in all segments (except hyper cars, Masi has nothing there)

·
Registered
99 Posts
That’s an interesting discussion, and I agree, nothing to argue about with the ranking. I would say that in a year to 18 months, Maserati could move up a slot, or at least close the gap. In September or so, there’s the new Gracale; next year the MC20 Spyder (Cielo), plus the new GT (being shown next month at Monterey along with the Gracale Trofeo), then there will be the new Lavante (maybe next year), followed by a new Qporte. So there’s a lot of new product, and my feeling is improved product across the board. The next few years will result in a pretty significant reboot. It will be fun to watch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like everything except word boutique
Can we throw GT in there
High performance GT
High performance GT / Boutique class is probably a better name/ description for the class.

I don't know how to edit that yet I will figure it out 😅

7,158 Posts
Porsche forgot more about making cars than Maserati and Aston Martin combined about making them...I like Maserati, but you have to want one honestly to be different than the regular Tom, Dick, or Harry...These other manufactures really do a better job of making cars and providing service...Jason

Reactions: MikeDownunder

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Porsche have not forgotten anything the 911 evaluation is scaled very similar when compared to the geological scale. Also just like all German brands, especially VW owned they have no problem watering down their offerings. I struggled putting them in with a boutique class as only one or two of their offerings feel special or exclusive. Where else would you put them, I do think they are less watered down than the other big German brands. I don't know where to put them they make performance cars and one or two exclusive cars but they live on mass market Mid-priced SUV and the new 928 class. As far as making car Toyota, Honda, hell I've had Fords that I absolutely abused last 400,000 miles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The big problem with Porsche is if VW decides next week the make the new 912, and the badge takes a huge hit.

7,158 Posts
I think all these cars are watered down...They are all just trying to sell cars and it's a product...Just like a toaster or dishwasher...It is just a bunch of plastic, metal, and some leather at the end of the day..I don't blame them for that..You can't stay in business...Sit down with a pen and write all the car manufactures down...There is too many IMO..Plus more coming to market...J

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They do have to sell cars true enough, however many of these car companies listed are owned by Big Auto Groups (BAG). That in my mind changes the conversation of "having to sell high volume to survive". They do have to turn a profit, being owned by a big brother can definitely help with that. They have access to many common used interchangeable parts i.e. power window components, AC compressors ,and shared tech. They can use the discounted high volume purchasing power to access parts that suppliers make for them i.e. ZF transmissions selling to the BAG makes in the group as a whole. Also using the huge financial power to borrow for New product development as needed and paying it back to the BAG when the ROI is made down the road.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In reality Porsche exists because VW sells millions of cars, Ferrari is the same because Fiat. that doesn't mean you add a Porsche badge to a VW or a prancing horse to a Fiat 500 and call it good business that is watering down the product. Leaves Porsche fan's with a bad taste in their mouth.

7,158 Posts
Ferrari is not part of FCA or now Stellanis...They are there own deal at this point. They literally have there own stock listed...ticker..race....J

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I work for a company that WAS owned by a huge international conglomerate. Big brother wanted to make some very unpopular cuts to employees, and move operations mostly to a low cost labor county, and change the quality of the product for the purpose increased profit. But they didn't want people boycotting the big brother brands so they mysteriously had a PRIVATE equity firm make an offer to by us. We were sold to the equity firm from a foreign country. With big brother still owning a 30 percent minority stake. They fired people moved most operations and changed the product to lower quality. Who do you boycott an equity firm with 35 employees, just our HR department employees 100-200 people. How can you even run a company this big with 35. Ferrari is most likely in a similar type situation but I think they did it to protect the badge not to make profit for big brother. I of course could be wrong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW I could Put Porsche with Lotus in a sports cars class. Problem is Porsche makes SUV's that out sell their cars so I see the badge changing to more of a performance boutique.

·
Registered
40 Posts
reality Porsche exists because VW sells millions of cars
that is in fact the other way around, Joe. Porsche was doing fine on its own, but overstepped their own mark by investing too heavily in VW, which turned the situation upside down in the end, Porsche selling their own shares to VW and keeping their VW shares

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought Porsche bought shares in VW as an investment to provide capital for their own new product development but it went south because the recession. The plan was to buy cheap stock driving up the stock price, cash out and use the money for themselves. But the stock plunged due to the recession, so they were joined at the hip hence forth. They were even taxed heavily for the merger back then. I mean I could be wrong but the VW group alone sold 7-8 million cars a year back then. Porsche averaged 90K cars a year 1/2 of those cayman/ boxster before SUVs diluted the brand but massively help increase sales. Now they sell 300K a year.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
300k a year that makes Dodge more exclusive than Porsche.. ha. I'm not suggesting Dodge is the same prestige, attention to detail or interior material quality. But they have unique build's with hellcat everything. They have great sound, good looks, and more useable as daily drivers. They have what will be a legendary engine and use ZF transmissions. They have a longer history and lots of racing trophy's. On paper they compare well with many car brands on this list including Maserati.

But they are missing that badge prestige that's what we as consumers must insist these companies not sell so cheaply for some quick cash grab. WE LOVE OUR BRANDS we must defend that sacred mystique.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts