Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 GT Cabrio new to me and I am trying to figure out if I need a new battery preemptively. No issues, but they will pop up at the worst moment.

The Model number is a FIAMM 673001440 and there is a date code burned into the top that looks to be 90512 and maybe a big 1 at the end? im attaching a photo of the code. not sure if there is any other markings without removing the whole battery.

Attachments

7,572 Posts
Don't you think you should just replace the battery? It is not that much money.. I don't think anyone on here is gonna know to how read their date codes...I imagine your time isn't worth the hassle...I just replace batteries every 3 years and move on...Not worth my time to save a few bucks..Jason

Reactions: tasnam

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,282 Posts
Don't you think you should just replace the battery? It is not that much money.. I don't think anyone on here is gonna know to how read their date codes...I imagine your time isn't worth the hassle...I just replace batteries every 3 years and move on...Not worth my time to save a few bucks..Jason
Well Said Jason. I scratch my head when people are on this forum and they own a Maserati and would risk all kinds of issue over a couple hundred-dollar battery.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Well Said Jason. I scratch my head when people are on this forum and they own a Maserati and would risk all kinds of issue over a couple hundred-dollar battery.
Some people here got their cars at a reasonable car price and not a New Maserati car price... so it's good to be mindful that not everyone is "ballin" with their money. ;)

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,282 Posts
This has nothing to do with that at all.
If you purchase a Maserati (even if at a steep discount). Why would you risk having a battery issue? How many posts on here are about gremlins with battery issues? For a few hundred bucks every say three years it is not worth it. Then maybe someone should be purchasing a Ford Focus if that is going to be a concern.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow... i was just trying to find out if the battery was new or not... im not a cheap ass trying to skimp on my new-to-me ride. I tried to decipher the date code via the internet, and it's either not the actual date code or something else. The car was very well taken care of and has brand new Pirellis, new wipers so maybe it had a new battery too?

I will go buy another battery... no problem! I just didn't want to spend unnecessary money if it was brand new.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Wow... i was just trying to find out if the battery was new or not... im not a cheap ass trying to skimp on my new-to-me ride. I tried to decipher the date code via the internet, and it's either not the actual date code or something else. The car was very well taken care of and has brand new Pirellis, new wipers so maybe it had a new battery too?

I will go buy another battery... no problem! I just didn't want to spend unnecessary money if it was brand new.
Yeah, that escalated quickly! 😝 To each his own, indeed. It sounded to me like you didn't want to just throw unnecessary money at it so I think we were on the same page in that regard. Regarding the heat stamp on your battery, it didn't look like any manufacturer date that I'm familiar with. Depending on the manufacturer of the battery, the date can be hot stamped in a different format. Very commonly used is a letter followed by a number.
A=Jan, B=Feb, C=Mar, D=Apr, and so on. (The letter "I" is skipped because it is confused with the number 1). The number will correspond to a 10 year window. 1=2001, 2=2002, 3=2003, 4=2004 and so on up to 2010. But of course your battery would not be in this decade as it would most likely be too old to still be in your car. So 1=2011, 2=2012, 3=2013, 4=2014 and so on, up to 2020 is possible for your battery. Your battery would have to look fairly new to be manufactured in this decade. 1=2021, 2=2022...
You can also contact the manufacturer and ask which date code they use on their batteries. 👍🏾

·
Registered
941 Posts
The production dates are on the top of the battery and the appropriate dots are poked when when the the liquid is added...at least that is supposed to be the case. My battery in a 2018 AGM. I will test it next spring and if not perfect, change it, but my almost always tendered batteries last a long time! I have not a had a battery fail in less than 5 yrs....

I suspect that is a 2012 battery 9/05/12

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
The production dates are on the top of the battery and the appropriate dots are poked when when the the liquid is added...at least that is supposed to be the case. My battery in a 2018 AGM. I will test it next spring and if not perfect, change it, but my almost always tendered batteries last a long time! I have not a had a battery fail in less than 5 yrs....

If the manufacturer uses that as their heat stamp format, it's possible, though 10 years would be incredible but not impossible. My BMW M6 had a battery that lasted 11 years. 😮

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
The round sticker that is placed on the battery can sometimes be the manufactured date but not always. Manufacturer's will always heat stamp the manufactured date into the battery, somewhere. If the heat stamp and the sticker dates are different, then the sticker is when the battery was last charged/warranty begin date or the date the battery was shipped.
In the picture example, the sticker and the manufacture date happen to be the same.
H=August, 4=2014. The other letters can tell you which plant manufactured the battery as well. Again, contact the manufacturer or go onto their website to see how they decode their particular date stamp.
Amber Font Gadget Circle Electric blue

·
Registered
4,443 Posts

Could be May 9th 2012, if it's an AGM battery.
Head Human body Font Circle Auto part

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2015 GT Cabrio new to me and I am trying to figure out if I need a new battery preemptively. No issues, but they will pop up at the worst moment.

The Model number is a FIAMM 673001440 and there is a date code burned into the top that looks to be 90512 and maybe a big 1 at the end? im attaching a photo of the code. not sure if there is any other markings without removing the whole battery.
Hi Demkarcom,

If you keep the battery fully charged and the plates covered with electrolyte (assuming it is a lead acid battery), it should be fine until you need your second triple bypass. Attach a trickle charger whenever the car will sit for a week or more. The book Rich Dad, Poor Dad suggests that the rich dad does not waste money, while the poor dad spends as much as he can for as long as he can. Beware: There are a lot of consumerists on this site who believe that more expensive products are naturally better than those reasonably priced, and that Joshua Bell is no good because he played in the DC Metro for a day for chump change. Even when the battery runs down it is not a big deal, although with all electronic gizmos it can be confusing.

Good luck,
Ted

7,572 Posts
Hey Ted, batteries don't have caps on them anymore were you can see the level anymore and haven't in forever...You should be aware that there are people on this site that talk out of their ass...You frequently come up with these long winded explanations that make no sense and then sign off like it was factual...Those are not facts and lead acid batteries don't last forever...Keep reading that book...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Ted, batteries don't have caps on them anymore were you can see the level anymore and haven't in forever...You should be aware that there are people on this site that talk out of their ass...You frequently come up with these long winded explanations that make no sense and then sign off like it was factual...Those are not facts and lead acid batteries don't last forever...Keep reading that book...
Hi Jason,

My last lead acid battery, manufactured this century, did indeed have caps that I could pry off, though that was not obvious. And while they might not last forever, I never had one fail that was well maintained. What book would you recommend?

Ted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts