Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is a reasonable chance that my new place in the SF Bay Area might not have a garage.

What are some suggestions to minimize the chances of my car being broken into if it is parked on the street or in an open lot? Do those car covers with the cable and lock work?

What do you all do if you live in a place without a garage?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
* Don't leave anything visible in the car.
* Don't put aftermarket wheels or stereo in the car.
* Do cover the car with a lock to keep out the easy interest
* Lo Jack will help you recover in minutes, well worth it and you can move it to another car in the future, if needed.

·
Registered
722 Posts
So there is a reasonable chance that my new place in the SF Bay Area might not have a garage.
Where in the bay area? In Cupertino, no problem. In SF "the city" proper, forget it and buy a 5-year-old Honda.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Can you not rent a garage or find an old lady with a garage/drive etc.. i thought that a Maserati would not be suited to SF with all those hills and dips everywhere. What effect will it have on your clutch wear?

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Or, make sure you have an agreed value insurance policy and then don't worry about it. If it's stolen, hope it doesn't come back and go buy another. Mine isn't a daily driver but I take it to the train station a few times a week. I park where I won't get dings but otherwise, if you want it that bad, take it. I love seeing junkies in the lot with the steering wheel bar. I get a chuckle.

·
Registered
224 Posts
No secured parking? That can be rough. I actually didn't have problems with people breaking in to my car if it was parked on the street (a porsche, as that was the pre-maserati era), but I had issues with people parking by the braille method (i.e. running into your bumper to feel where it is) and other damage (never take your car to Candlestick - someone took a huge gouge out of my paint with their door). For the maserati, I'd really want some sort of secured off-street parking, even if it wasn't an individual garage.

I'm assuming you're living in the city - most of the other towns in the Bay area (except Berkeley and parts of Oakland) finding a place with a garage isn't that difficult. Certain neighborhoods in SF are pretty good (I had three different places in Noe Valley, all of which had parking - one of which had space for 3 cars!), but a lot of the neighborhoods are not.

·
Registered
491 Posts
What do you all do if you live in a place without a garage?
Answer: Move.

Long ago when I used to live in the appartments, one had on premise parking... when I moved out of it, the management asked for reason, I told them "There's no parking when I come home late and tired, and that the last thing I wanted to deal with is to find a parking spot blocks away from my building"

If you are going to live in SF, it can mean 2 hours of circling around within 10-block radious and not finding anything available.

I live in sf bay area, and I don't go to sf unless I have to.

Why do you tell us where you are moving to and maybe we can give some directions on where to find better alternatives?

Welcome to the sf bay area

·
Registered
793 Posts
---If you are going to live in SF, it can mean 2 hours of circling around within 10-block radious and not finding anything available.
Milanojess is spot on. Look for alternatives.

SF is no place for a decent car even if you have parking because you'll have to share a common garage. nEven if the car is not stolen or broken into, it will be dinged to death!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are right. SF is no place for this kind of car. I think Sausalito will be it. I would rather deal with the hills there than the sketchy neighborhoods in surrounding areas.

Good thing I have a company car because that will be the only car I drive into the city!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow don't know what to say but I will try

Sounds like some of these posts are from people who don't even live in SF

1. I have a garage with a space
2. Lot's of places have garage space with a space assigned to each unit
3. Lot’s of houses with garages if that’s your lot
4. Don’t park on the street, you will get dinged or worse
5. I don’t take my car out to clubs and so on but will go out to restaurants with parking.
6. Hill’s not a problem unless you live on a nasty one. You can drive around most depending on your location.

Paul

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
LOL! I agree with calcoupe.... They have no idea about the bay area.... If you have a Maser in the bay area..... Live in Millbrae or Foster City in a house with a 2CG (have a few kids while you're at it.. and learn to speak Chinese (did I say that? My bad!)).

The Half Moon Bay ride down 92 to PCH is a wet dream most Maserati owners will never experience (although the fastest I've ever driven is 150 on 280 in my Viper (or was that 280 on 150?) SWEET!) DAMN I MISS THAT PLACE!!!!

Dallas is nice :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL! I agree with calcoupe.... They have no idea about the bay area.... If you have a Maser in the bay area..... Live in Millbrae or Foster City in a house with a 2CG (have a few kids while you're at it.. and learn to speak Chinese (did I say that? My bad!)).

The Half Moon Bay ride down 92 to PCH is a wet dream most Maserati owners will never experience (although the fastest I've ever driven is 150 on 280 in my Viper (or was that 280 on 150?) SWEET!) DAMN I MISS THAT PLACE!!!!

Dallas is nice :cool:
I have a 2003 coupe plus a few kids and I can speak Chinese. What are you getting at?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have a 2003 coupe plus a few kids and I can speak Chinese. What are you getting at?
I have a 2005 coupe, 3 kids and lived in Hong Kong for 2 years. Nothing wrong with it at all :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts