Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does everyone change their oil?

According to our service manual it says we should change the oil atleast once a year. However, our services are 6,000 miles then 18,500 miles?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think we have a 12,000 mile service? If you are putting 8-12K miles on your car each year how often should you change your oil?

My service guy "recommended" having the oil changed for $350.00, every 3,000 miles if you drive the car hard? He said 6,000 miles would work if you are a normal driver?

I certainly do not want to over maintain my car, I just want to follow all the proper maintenance.

What is everyone else doing? Can these cars go 12,000 miles between oil changes?

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
513 Posts
I beleive the type of oil has a lot to do with the service intervals. Our oil or at least the oil which was last recommended, AGIP, used to be some form of Shell in the past also, ...allows for the later intervals.

My rule of thumb is to change every 6000 miles in my other cars since I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic, and will go 1 year or 10,000 in my Spyder.

If I ever get a car which uses traditional oils, I would change every 3500 miles.

I also believe we have a trickier oil change procedure which cannot be done at any old drive-in lube place.....this also is a factor in frequency changes of oil......if I was able to use a quick lube place, I use a 6000 mile interval. ...

·
Registered
146 Posts
chris7469 said:
How often does everyone change their oil?

According to our service manual it says we should change the oil atleast once a year. However, our services are 6,000 miles then 18,500 miles?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think we have a 12,000 mile service? If you are putting 8-12K miles on your car each year how often should you change your oil?

My service guy "recommended" having the oil changed for $350.00, every 3,000 miles if you drive the car hard? He said 6,000 miles would work if you are a normal driver?

I certainly do not want to over maintain my car, I just want to follow all the proper maintenance.

What is everyone else doing? Can these cars go 12,000 miles between oil changes?

Thanks. CM
Just follow the service intervals quoted. You guys in the US typically dont use synthetics which are a must in this and most European cars which have at least 12k service intervals like the Maserati.

·
Registered
7 Posts
since I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic, and will go 1 year or 10,000 in my Spyder.

Once a year is what I have done also, partly because a $400 oil change seems reasonable once yearly. And, it is only a 5-6,000 mile interval for me, although I think 10,000 miles would be fine.

edited for clarity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Dez
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing