Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2005 Coupe Cambiocorsa in black and some after market alloys came with it (19" Cargraphic Racing). I now have a bit of a dilemma because:

1. I've never paid too much attention to aftermarket rims and don't know much about them - I tend to stick with OEM wheels when given the chance; and

2. Although these wheels are obviously good quality I'm not 100% for them or that they are quite in keeping with the car.

At first I thought it was the wheel centers and, particularly on the fronts, the way they have convex dishing but I finally realized my main issue was the stainless or chrome rims/lips that are just a little too bling.

Looking at the custom alloys out there, there's a lot even less in keeping with this car. There's always the Coupe OEM wheels but I do want to stick with 19" size, so perhaps the GS wheels (if I can find a set). So I was hoping to benefit from the experience on the forum on three counts.

1. Does anyone know of some sweet aftermarket wheels out there so I can short cut trawling the endless websites and brochures?
2. Anyone recommend an OEM wheel and best places for finding them (apart from Ebay)?
3. If I stick with these Cargraphics I wondered if it would be possible and economical to have the stainless lips painted (and a quality job at that) without touching the centers?

If it's possible to do I would certainly consider painting out the shiny lips. I was thinking a flat black for several reasons - blends with body and removes the bling, blends with the tires and reduces the apparent wheel size and also reduces the low profile effect both of which will give the 19's a more conventional 18" look, and finally will allow the attention to fall on the more understated grey wheel centers and the racing bolt pattern. But can a quality durable finish be achieved - and would the wheels be disassembled to do that?

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wheels look quite nice! I too am looking for some nice aftermarket wheels for the car I recently purchased.
Im just not sure of the offsets and such for these cars to achieve the best look.

Hard to tell by your pics, but it looks as if the lips are polished and not chrome.

If you want to have them refinished, ask this guy....... http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6239
he just had his done.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I Want Them!

I will buy them from you right this minute! Perfect for my blue coupe! PM me and let me know, or let's do some talking, I will even send you my stovkers for the mean time...
PLZ!
Jon

·
Registered
581 Posts
I agree - don't change a thing - look great! If you want my stock rims I will swap you....

·
Registered
624 Posts
Those wheels look great man, stock wheels are freakin' boring....c'mon a little bling is good thing within reason, no one buys a Maserati and says, man I hope no one notices....lol.

Ok so I'm getting a similar set of Veloche's this week from Wheel-1.com, I'm so damn excited, fat chome lips, will post pix and then if you guys want to give me a week or two after this Sat (when they get put on) to try them out and be sure they perform like they should I'll give you my local hook up - GREAT prices (about 1/2 of what I've normally seen), all colors and finishes, 100%warrantied, package deals too.

If anyone knows the brand or the dealer please share your experience. My best friend has sworn by this company thru the years on his Benz's and Porsche's, zero issues...we'll see how they hold up on a real car!

S-

·
Registered
439 Posts
Those wheels look great man, stock wheels are freakin' boring....c'mon a little bling is good thing within reason, no one buys a Maserati and says, man I hope no one notices....lol.

Ok so I'm getting a similar set of Veloche's this week from Wheel-1.com, I'm so damn excited, fat chome lips, will post pix and then if you guys want to give me a week or two after this Sat (when they get put on) to try them out and be sure they perform like they should I'll give you my local hook up - GREAT prices (about 1/2 of what I've normally seen), all colors and finishes, 100%warrantied, package deals too.

If anyone knows the brand or the dealer please share your experience. My best friend has sworn by this company thru the years on his Benz's and Porsche's, zero issues...we'll see how they hold up on a real car!

S-
Very interested in a set of aftermarket wheels myself. Please share your info. on these once you feel comfortable enough.
By chance, do you know what the offsets are on them?

This is probably the most important aspect of getting them to sit near flush with the fenders w/o using spacers.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sure be happy to share, not sure what the offset is but I took the car in and they "fitted" the wheels front and back just to be sure all was copasetic and I asked about spacers and the tech said steer clear - if you can get a wheel fitted right it's a better ride and the car will be truer to performing as it would from the factory without them whenever possible - bear in mind I am a complete novice so they could be talking circles around me...we'll see I guess. I'll call tomorrow and see what the specs are and get back to you though....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Looks fine as is, better then stock, great fit...not too bling at all, a little chrome helps accent the Trident on the pillar.:cool:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I agree. Those look pretty sweet - classy kind of like a BBS LM or HRE C22. Keep em.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sure be happy to share, not sure what the offset is but I took the car in and they "fitted" the wheels front and back just to be sure all was copasetic and I asked about spacers and the tech said steer clear - if you can get a wheel fitted right it's a better ride and the car will be truer to performing as it would from the factory without them whenever possible - bear in mind I am a complete novice so they could be talking circles around me...we'll see I guess. I'll call tomorrow and see what the specs are and get back to you though....
Thank you! I can't seem to find any info on these wheels though.
The wheel-1 site is under construction at the moment.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree - don't change a thing - look great! If you want my stock rims I will swap you....
I agree. Those look pretty sweet - classy kind of like a BBS LM or HRE C22. Keep em.
Wheels look quite nice! I too am looking for some nice aftermarket wheels for the car I recently purchased.
Im just not sure of the offsets and such for these cars to achieve the best look.

Hard to tell by your pics, but it looks as if the lips are polished and not chrome.

If you want to have them refinished, ask this guy....... http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6239
he just had his done.
Leave it the way it is, look great!

Looks and fit (offset), looks spot on!!
I will buy them from you right this minute! Perfect for my blue coupe! PM me and let me know, or let's do some talking, I will even send you my stovkers for the mean time...
PLZ!
Jon
Looks fine as is, better then stock, great fit...not too bling at all, a little chrome helps accent the Trident on the pillar.:cool:
Thanks for the positive feedback. Reassuring. I can live with them for a while and see in time if the niggle keeps up or I REALLY learn to live with them.

If I can't I'll be sure to let everyone know in case someone wants them.

Cargraphic confirmed today they can dismantle them and powder coat the rims if I want to head down that road (for a fee of course). But I'll check out the thread *MaSeRaTi* provided too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

S-
I know what you mean - Maserati isn't exactly ducking below the radar! But what I love about these cars is the curves themselves get attention. They don't really need to try hard with accessories. It's incredible the amount of positive comments they get. Some how Maserati manage to get admiration from others without any negative envy or bitterness that some exotics can attract.

Anyway, I'll have to check out the wheel brand you mention. Let us all know how you get on.

·
Registered
624 Posts
MaSeR,

Pls try it again, it's working just fine for me, I've never had an issue with it being under construction:

http://www.wheel-1.com/

Click wheels and you'll see the brands, click Veloche and you'll see on top wheels for cars and on the bottom wheels for trucks and suv's - the wheel on the very left lower bottom under trucks and suv's has now been sized for exotics, that's the one I'm putting on my car in 20".

Thank you! I can't seem to find any info on these wheels though.
The wheel-1 site is under construction at the moment.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Absolutely you make a great point - the car looks great on it's own, it's like driving around in a Davinci, everyone admires and most smile....I'd never negate that but everytime I see one with chrome it gives it just that little extra that makes it stand out and I wonder why they all don't come with chrome but I'm sure it's a performance purist thing, and also being that chrome is a heavier material. I will definitely keep you posted and get pix up once they're on....and thx for being generous with your thread, apologies if I took it too far off the track but you touched on a great subject where the core issue is that most of us don't pay sticker for these cars by any stretch and I for one simply don't want to lay out $5 grand + for wheels/tires.

I know what you mean - Maserati isn't exactly ducking below the radar! But what I love about these cars is the curves themselves get attention. They don't really need to try hard with accessories. It's incredible the amount of positive comments they get. Some how Maserati manage to get admiration from others without any negative envy or bitterness that some exotics can attract.

Anyway, I'll have to check out the wheel brand you mention. Let us all know how you get on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mind if I ask the price?, and also, what are the specifics, you know, offset and etc in case I want to call them up and...hehe...order something.

MaSeR,

Pls try it again, it's working just fine for me, I've never had an issue with it being under construction:

http://www.wheel-1.com/

Click wheels and you'll see the brands, click Veloche and you'll see on top wheels for cars and on the bottom wheels for trucks and suv's - the wheel on the very left lower bottom under trucks and suv's has now been sized for exotics, that's the one I'm putting on my car in 20".

·
Registered
624 Posts
ok i'm probably jumping the gun but i'm buying the whole package for less than $2,500.00, wheels and tires...i really didn't want to post it b'c it may all suck ass....and if it does this is not something i want to post here....and of course there's the scrutiny with so many pros on the site..so what i'd like to do is to subject myself to the scrutiny and if it works great i'll share, and if not, ill put my old wheels back on and say lesson learned! fair enough?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Those rims look nice. Especially compared to many of the other aftermarket rims that look like they came from that "race prepared" Tercel down the street.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Veloche HOT CHROME Wheels for '04 CC Coupe

.....as promised, pix now uploaded on my album - I have both before and after on 2 sep albums - these you see are 20", 1 piece, chrome, I had them put on Sat morning, 2/7, and haven't stopped driving a daylight moment- the car looked good before but now the reaction it gets....I just can't even begin to explain it, outrageous, jaw dropping at every light and everywhere I park..really fun to watch. Not only does it widen the stance (NO spacers and check it out) but it rides fantastically, even at ummm....very high speeds, to me actually seems more responive/sensitive to the touch with the 20's and WOW just gives the car a nasty evil take no prisoners look. All this for about 1/2 of what a 2 or 3 piece wheel would cost and that's WITH brand new tires too so while I'm worried about curb rash....for this cost it's in the budget..lol.

If you like them and are interested PM me b'c I can and will gladly get you some 411 and can totally hook you up too but please...I am NOT an expert, I don't do track stuff etc... just a guy that takes his kid to school, likes to burn it up around long windy roads and of course hit the town looking like best in class, so please do your homework first - the site is www.wheel-1.com, lot's of choices but they are wholesalers only. I was able to buy through my best friend/bro-in-law b'c he buys from Wheel 1 for his commercial business fleet (totally unrelated to auto).

Happy motoring!

Scott

1 - 20 of 32 Posts