Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, curious to know about what it costs to replace a maserati clutch? Appreciate your input in advance!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Avoid the dealer at all costs basically its the price of 2 clutches at the dealer compared to an independent place that also works on Maeratis and people who say only a dealer can do it have no clue what they are talking about but I must say if you are under warranty go to the dealer. If you are in LA I can recommend a place to u PM me

·
Registered
340 Posts
On a somewhat related question, how often do you replace the flywheel on average? (ie every 2nd or 3rd clutch).

·
Registered
280 Posts
What is the S2/3 software?

Ali, bring me up to speed; is this for F1 or Manual 6 speed or either transmission; what do I ask the shop for when inquiring, will they know what I am talking about? dogdoc

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hey Max.

The SD2/3 software is software created especially for "Italian Supercars"... Think of it like an advanced OBD2 reader: one that can also tell the car what to do (instead of just "read").

In terms of clutch change, it works with the car to get the "kiss point" of the clutch (where it FIRST "touches"). If it isnt done, then your clutch will slip all the time and burn out much faster.

Ask if they have SD2/3. If they dont know what it is, they dont have it ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
HI the manual clutch

hi
The info you need is that if you got a manual there is no need to reset the clutch as its just a slave cylinder, any one can change the clutch but you got to check if you have an early or late style clutch.
the book time for the job is about 6 and half hours.
any questions please ask cheers
anthony

·
Registered
280 Posts
early or late style clutch? How do I tell??????

I heard there was a single or double tang? I have a 2004 that was made in Fall 2003...........dogdoc

·
Registered
173 Posts
My car is 02 with 6 speed. It need a new clutch soon. I get the quote from the shop in Pittsburgh area for about $2100 not include tax. The clutch itself is about $850, the release bearing is another $500. This parts price is cheaper than Eurospare. The guy that i contact said that he order parts from Ferrari dealer. From what i get the quote, it look like 7-8 hours to change clutch.
pganmol

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd heard that they updated the clutch to a double tang (twin plate presumably) & that the updated part will be fitted by the dealer network - I'm guessing you probs can't even buy the old part now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi
The info you need is that if you got a manual there is no need to reset the clutch as its just a slave cylinder, any one can change the clutch but you got to check if you have an early or late style clutch.
the book time for the job is about 6 and half hours.
any questions please ask cheers
anthony
The clutch still needs to be balanced and you require the SD2 for that. You also need it to bleed the clutch system which needs doing after a replacement.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anyone do a recent clutch replacement?

If so would it work for a 2005 spyder with the F1? What is the part number and where did you order from?

Thanks
-Tony

·
Registered
21 Posts
the clutch being balanced

hi
this roomer about the clutch being balanced is a big roomer and nothing more!!
i have changed more 4200 and QP clutches they i can remember and i have never balanced one with manual 4200 you have NO gear box ecu so that means you can not balance them
you need to carry out a self learn with sd2 so that the gear box ecu can measure the new clutch
the spigot bearing must be changed as it will become noise then pulling away and gets very anoying :(
a little tip make sure the garage that changes the clutch fit new exhaust gaskets as they can leak and make the cats over heat and melt and they are about 1500 each, some garages leave the exhaust bolt out as they snap and they are too lazy to get them out and do a good job
i know i am a very positive person
anthony

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi
i have changed more 4200 and QP clutches they i can remember and i have never balanced one with manual 4200 you have NO gear box ecu so that means you can not balance them
you need to carry out a self learn with sd2 so that the gear box ecu can measure the new clutch
the spigot bearing must be changed as it will become noise then pulling away and gets very anoying :(
a little tip make sure the garage that changes the clutch fit new exhaust gaskets as they can leak and make the cats over heat and melt and they are about 1500 each, some garages leave the exhaust bolt out as they snap and they are too lazy to get them out and do a good job
anthony
Anthony, you seem to know quite a lot with respect to the maser clutch! For people like me who are absolutly worhtless/newbee when it comes car mechanics can you put this in laimen's terms?

What is the Sd2? what is the spigot bearing, and why is it relevant to the clutch? and the same question with respect to the exhaust gaskets? are you saying the exhaust gaskets are 1500 each, or are you implying the cats are 1500 each?

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi

the sd2 in a maserati diagnostic machine, the spigot bearing sitts in the flywheel and the input shaft i will try and upload a picture but untill then please trust me. if you want you car to be perfect and stay in that condition you got to replace these items.
the cats will over heat and melt the honey con inside and that will have to be replace and will set you back around £1500 per cat and you unluck people got two cats
i hope that helps i will get some pics tomorrow for you

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi
anthony
Well frankly you are an idiot then. Do you want me to post the procedure for balancing a clutch as laid out by Maserati?

I just had mine changed on my manual 4200 for £1100.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts