Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. need some expert knowledge here.. perhaps Maser of Minneapolis can give me a hand..

my QP is a 2005 model ... but i seem to have bought it before the idea for an "Executive GT" and a "Sport GT" came out... so I think.

Now, i'm confused, would my QP be just a regular new Generation that does not fall under either of the 2 above-mentioned categories. Or is the Executive GT just another name given to all the new Generation QP's without the new 2006 Sport Package?

The reason for my question is that I am considering upgrading to the new Sport GT via a buy-back contract that I have with my dealer. I asked my dealer about this already, but I havent been impressed with the so-called 'expert' advice that they have offered me in the past, so im going to take my chances over here.

Thanks all!
JB

P.S. Oh.. and what is the difference between the 'lined' front grill QP's and the mesh-like front grill QP's? or is this just a new design? Cheers. =)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes there was originally a single QP model, that came as standard with 18" wheels, but you could have the sport package as an option with 19" wheels and some other changes. The executive GT and Sport GT models came later, but are still basically just options packages on a single base model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
houghn said:
Yes there was originally a single QP model, that came as standard with 18" wheels, but you could have the sport package as an option with 19" wheels and some other changes. The executive GT and Sport GT models came later, but are still basically just options packages on a single base model.
houghn - thanks for your reply.

so mine would be in between both in way since I dont have woodwork or rear tables,etc.. and I have sport pedals. (which are features of the Sport GT) ... but I dont have the updated ECU and updated tranny with quicker gear changes that the Sport GT has but the Executive doesnt.

damn Italians confusin' the heck outa me. I'll just say my QP is a hybrid of the Sport/Executive GTs. sound about right?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the Executive GT is a QP with executive package and a badge.

the Sport GT is a QP with sports package + MORE, which you may or may not be able to get individually. (MofM please confirm).

basically, Maserati is happy to customize the way you want it (within reasons). i think you can configure anyway you want:
Exec GT + Sports Package
Sport GT + Exec Package

not sure how sticky they are with the trims.
i think you can op-out the carbon on Sport GT for wood, very much like you can op-out the hi-tech fabric out of a Gransport for leather.

my 2005 QP, for instance, is a QP+Sports Package+ most executive options.

and remember there was the Neiman Marcus edition, which was a regular QP with a bunch of well chosen options and colors by Pininfarina. (i dont think you can change the options on that one).

the reason why i think they came out with the two submodels was to lessen confusion in ordering - so that some owners can get the comfort, while some go for the sport; and when it comes to resale, those cars can be easier identified.

the grilles are just to idenitify them quicker, but also most likely planned way back in the design stage.

·
Registered
196 Posts
and remember there was the Neiman Marcus edition, which was a regular QP with a bunch of well chosen options and colors by Pininfarina....
.... if you like the 1920s Vienna bordello look with the dark red piping that is..... not that I have ever been inside a Vienna bordello in the 1920s ;)

BTW, if you order a Sport GT or en Executive, your QP badge will not say "Quattroporte" anymore.... something to keep in mind I think!

·
Registered
909 Posts
That Bordeaux Neimanns car was hot.

Here is the official list of changes, from Maserati; my comments in (these)

Sport GT
20" Alloy wheels (design based on the MC12 rolling stock from what I've seen)
Front black mesh grill, Trident with red accents
Titanium-colored calipers
Drilled brake discs with metallic braided brake lines
TPMS
Skyhook software calibration
Duo-Select software - 35% faster in sport mode (I think its the same in standard mode)
New exhaust system 'tuned for a sportier note'
Carbon fiber interior trimming
Sports steering wheel
Aluminum pedals
Sport GT exterior badges
$8850 package

Executive GT
ball polished 19" wheels
chrome front and side grilles
folding wooden rear tray tables
rear side window blinds
rear climate controls
comfort package seating
alcantara headliner
wooden steering wheel
executive gt exterior badging
$13170 package

I believe none of these items are available individually, but you should be able to add other options on top of these packages.

- Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Response to JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 said:
Hey everyone.. need some expert knowledge here.. perhaps Maser of Minneapolis can give me a hand..

my QP is a 2005 model ... but i seem to have bought it before the idea for an "Executive GT" and a "Sport GT" came out... so I think.

Now, i'm confused, would my QP be just a regular new Generation that does not fall under either of the 2 above-mentioned categories. Or is the Executive GT just another name given to all the new Generation QP's without the new 2006 Sport Package?

The reason for my question is that I am considering upgrading to the new Sport GT via a buy-back contract that I have with my dealer. I asked my dealer about this already, but I havent been impressed with the so-called 'expert' advice that they have offered me in the past, so im going to take my chances over here.

Thanks all!
JB

P.S. Oh.. and what is the difference between the 'lined' front grill QP's and the mesh-like front grill QP's? or is this just a new design? Cheers. =)
I'll try to also explain the differences

I'll try to explain the differences. Prior to the 2006 model year, the Sport GT and Executive GT model designations did not exist. You could order a QP and specify the Sport Package Option( $ 4,800 Option ), which included (19" wheels, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Titanium colored calipers, Drilled brake disks, Brake pipe in metallic braid, Skyhook specific software, Perforated leather). IN 2006, in addition to still being able to order a "regular" QP and specifying the Sport Package ( $ 4,800) as an option, you could order a new model, that carries the model designation, "Quattroporte Sport GT". The Sport GT lists for $ 8,850 more than a regular QP. The Sport GT includes everything that was in the Sport Package, except the perforated leather, and adds 20" wheels rather than 19" wheels, Front black mesh grill, Maserati Trident with red accents, Improved Duo-Select gearbox with 35% quicker shifts in Sport mode, New exhaust system tuned for a sportier exhaust note, carbon fiber inserts on dashboard and center stack, Sports Steering wheel, Aluminum racing pedals and Sport GT exterior badges. You can specify the wood trim rather than the carbon fiber at no additional cost, but you cannot specify the wood wheel to replace the black leather Sport Wheel.

Priot to 2006 you could order a " regular" QP with the Executive Package option ( $ 5,800 ) which included ( Comfort package rear seats, Rear climate control, Rear side window sunblinds ). In 2006, in addition to still being able to order a " regular" QP and specifying the Executive Package, you could order a new model, that carries the model designation, " Quattroporte Excecutive GT. The 2006 Executive GT lists for $ 13,170 more than a regular QP. The Executive GT includes everything that was in the Executive Package and adds Ball polished 19" wheels, Chrome front and side grills, folding wooden rear tray tables, Alcantara headliner, Wooden Steering wheel, "Executive GT" exterior badges.

The Executive GT model designation is nothing more than a package of options which costs approximately 11% less than if you ordered each option separately.

The Sport GT includes certain features that cannot be ordered separately, e.g., the 20" wheels, different exhaust, 35 % faster Duo Select transmission, etc.

Hope this helps and good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also looking to get a QP and from what it look like the 2006 interior looks much better the the 2005. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I believe 2006 fixed some interior trim issues. I remember seeing used 2005 QPs with sagging glove box doors and floor carpet pulled out from under door sills.

Wrt 'better looking interior", I personally miss the deletion of the rear picnic tables when the airbag system was updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Bcube
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing