Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a "Factory Owned" Maserati dealership vs. a Maserati dealership? (I know it's owned directly by Maserati N.A. & not a private owner.) Are they less willing or able to discount their inventory, new & pre-owned? Are there any benefits from purchasing from one? And finally, how many are there - I know Maserati of San Francisco is one... who else? Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Factory owned implies it's owned and financed by the manufacturer (In the case of FMSF that's Ferrari NA not Maserati).

Presumably there's less financial pressure to sell cars as there's no carrying cost for inventory (can't imagine the Factory wants to charge itself) and you may get slightly lower but more inflexible pricing because of that.

May also have an advantage in availability/choice, better maintenance, more responsiveness to customer problems - more conscious of brand.

If the factory has a finance arm you may get a better deal on lease or loan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steeldream said:
Factory owned implies it's owned and financed by the manufacturer (In the case of FMSF that's Ferrari NA not Maserati).

Presumably there's less financial pressure to sell cars as there's no carrying cost for inventory (can't imagine the Factory wants to charge itself) and you may get slightly lower but more inflexible pricing because of that.

May also have an advantage in availability/choice, better maintenance, more responsiveness to customer problems - more conscious of brand.

If the factory has a finance arm you may get a better deal on lease or loan.
That is interesting. I would think that everything is the opposite, aside from availability, maintenance, and response to customer problems.

I agree there is less financial pressure to sell cars. But this would mean that their prices would be higher as there is not as high of a need to sell the cars. This is why you always see the F-cars and Maseratis on Ferrari and Maserati's car database consistently $10K over average prices you can find elsewhere. Perhaps this is trying to keep the name up and selective.

For financing, I've always learned that you should never finance with the dealer or manufacturer. I have yet to do so, but from what I have been told, interest rates are astronomical when you finance with the manufacturer (I'm talking 18%+).

Lastly, I would say that buying from a factory owned dealership (new or used) would carry more clout in the resale of the car. People are quirky and often prefer the car that was maintained by a factory owned dealership over a private dealership, even when the private dealers can employ better technicians.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Doubt prices are higher - they still want to sell cars, and they don't have to factor carrying cost of inventory in (or if they do it's likely to be on more friendly terms)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts