Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
I agree with F. Yu, I can't see them coming down that far on the 03. 50K is my guess. The '02 at plaza looks to be really clean. 40K seems low but it's a great place to start. Worst they can say is no :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
IMO, I would try to stick with 2003 (or newer) models concerning the Spyder. There were major changes between 2002 and 2003. Later annual changes were minor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bcube said:
IMO, I would try to stick with 2003 (or newer) models concerning the Spyder. There were major changes between 2002 and 2003. Later annual changes were minor.

Could you please inform me. I tried to search but this is the best place for information regarding Maseratis. I wish I could get my hands on some factory information with differences from year to year.

1. what are the differences?
2. Is the convertible top an issue on spyders? for example not going up or down or being stuck?
3. I love that blue! what is the factory color name for that blue 2003?


Also if I did buy the 2003 in so cal (I live in AZ) who you reccomend I bring the car to check it make sure its a good working/running car? In AZ I do know of 2 top notch Ferrari gear heads who I would bring Maserati too. (Highly regarded individuals on ferrarichat.com (if you need me to mention names just pm me!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
1) 2002 Spyders have plastic rear window, I believe the change to glass is model year 2003

2) 2003s have major structural and suspension changes over 2002. In order to satisfy complaints of unacceptable (for a $100K car) cowl shake.

3) I'm sure there are other changes as well. As is there are for any second year over the first run production. (Software changes for example)

I don't have any particular recommendation for a PPI. I am not sure if Ferrari/Maserati of Orange County do them anymore. (Maser of OC is my dealer.) But it would not hurt to give them a call to see if they can recommend anyone. www.fmsocal.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
There are issues with the top... I think Demoe had his self destruct for an $18,000 bill (fortunately covered under warranty). Mine got stuck halfway open also fixed under warrranty and blamed on "debris in the mechanism" - can't understand that one. There's an extensive section in the manual on emergency top closing procedures.

2002->2003 they stiffened the chassis to reduce scuttle shake. Don't knowwhat else...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bcube said:
1) 2002 Spyders have plastic rear window, I believe the change to glass is model year 2003

2) 2003s have major structural and suspension changes over 2002. In order to satisfy complaints of unacceptable (for a $100K car) cowl shake.

3) I'm sure there are other changes as well. As is there are for any second year over the first run production. (Software changes for example)

I don't have any particular recommendation for a PPI. I am not sure if Ferrari/Maserati of Orange County do them anymore. (Maser of OC is my dealer.) But it would not hurt to give them a call to see if they can recommend anyone. www.fmsocal.com

Thanks for the information. Plus the wheels look so much better on the 2003 vs the 2002 !

I will then probably go for the 2003. I would like to purchase a Maserati around March - April. I would be all over that 2003 blue but currently my funds will be going towards a condo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
STFA would get you some answers...

Alex said:
Could you please inform me. I tried to search but this is the best place for information regarding Maseratis. I wish I could get my hands on some factory information with differences from year to year.

1. what are the differences?
2. Is the convertible top an issue on spyders? for example not going up or down or being stuck?
3. I love that blue! what is the factory color name for that blue 2003?

Also if I did buy the 2003 in so cal (I live in AZ) who you reccomend I bring the car to check it make sure its a good working/running car? In AZ I do know of 2 top notch Ferrari gear heads who I would bring Maserati too. (Highly regarded individuals on ferrarichat.com (if you need me to mention names just pm me!)
... but I'll save you some time and repost something I wrote a few months ago. I think the color is Mediterranean Blue on that Spyder; always hard to tell because color depends strongly on lighting and the camera's settings at the time of the photo. Finally, you can get a PPI at a local Maserati dealer; I'd recommend FM of Orange County. You'll need an appointment, they're really busy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There were minor changes between the introduction year (2002) of the Coupé and the current model, no major engine changes. There were several changes to ECU/transmission programming and as far as I'm aware, these can be made retroactively to older models (and is done automatically by dealers during services, unless you ask them not to; some forum members have done so out of personal preference). There also have been minor changes to the color mixtures you can choose. Here are the changes I'm aware of:

2002: Introduction year
2003: Many small gremlins fixed, shortened production year
2004: Center console revised, cupholder added and armrest storage increased; "hillholder" feature added to tranmission
2005: Front grill enlarged (looks like GranSport), rear grill added, now allowed to choose contrasting color for center of seats, trident wingbadges added, some option packages (like Vintage) added
2006: Some exterior color choices were removed from standard list, no mechanical changes I'm aware of

If you're interested in the Spyder, I believe that one major change was that the 2002 MY used a plastic rear window whilst the 2003 and later years used a glass window and also the body was reinforced to reduce cowl shake.

If you are looking for a GranSport-look, the 2005-2006 MYs have a similar-sized grill, although it is dark grey instead of the chrome that the GranSport has. Also, the GranSport has a more aggressive-looking lower spoiler lip. The GranSport also has side skirts, which, in my opinion, actually look a little dorky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ thank you

now when someone else askes the same question as myself I can copy paste your quote!

thanks again the color of the blue as well
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top