Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just wondering what kind of gas is proper to put into a BiTurbo lets say the year 1987?
thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's something, although I don't know how well it actually answers your question.

"I'm sure you remember that I own a 2.24v, wHich I love. Since I wrote last time a lot of things happened. One of them was really bad. I will not fully explain now, what happened, because it is a very long issue, but I beg you to give this advice to all Biturbo owners on your pages, that 2-litre engines up to 01/92, cannot, must not, use unleaded fuel.

Worst still if you use 100 octane fuel. Bad if use other level of octane. Maserati never explained or cared about this issue, and people like me who drive there cars, I still do 30,000 kms per year, end up suffering the consequences.

Even if you use additives the problem will happen!! When I used Shell V-Power 98 ron with Shell Millenium additive, the problem was there but it only showed after 40,000 kms or so. I know this because I did almost 220,000 kms with my 4.24v, and started to use unleaded fuel in the last 20,000 kms or so, then I sold the car."

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's allways best to use 91 or 93 in turbocharged cars. Higher octane is needed if you've modified the car and are running higher boost than original.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 87 Biturbo Si, going on 7 years.

93 octane all the way. Don't look at it as money wasted for the higher octane, look at it as cheaper repair bills.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1993 430

NAPerformance said:
It's allways best to use 91 or 93 in turbocharged cars. Higher octane is needed if you've modified the car and are running higher boost than original.
Thats interesting, BTW my 430 has unleaded stamped under the fuel cover. So they must be copatible from 1993 onwards. Waht fuel would you recommend in the unleaded variety?

Regards
Terry

·
Registered
681 Posts
twm153 said:
Thats interesting, BTW my 430 has unleaded stamped under the fuel cover. So they must be copatible from 1993 onwards. Waht fuel would you recommend in the unleaded variety?

Regards
Terry
For your F430? 91 or 93 should be fine, but you also live in AU our octane ratings are different over here. I'll do some research tommorow morning since it's 2:00 a.m. over here and get back to you on the AU octane I'd recommend for your car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep in mind, in America our typical options at the station are only 87, 91 and 93 octane.

I don't know how it is in Australia.

My father owns a 430 just like what you are talking about, his is an 89 model and he only puts in 93 octane.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well here in canada we have 94 octane do u think that is important to put the best grade of octane in or does it not really make a difference?

·
Registered
28 Posts
From your name I would assume you have a 4200 Coupe.

That is a high compression v8, it would behoove you to put in the 94 octane. Besides, this engine was produced and tested in a land where 95 octane is "regular" so that is what the engine is tuned for there. To be honest, I'm not sure if they tune them for each place's spec gas, perhaps they do and if that is the case they are tuned for the highest. In the US my fathers Gran Sport reccommends only 93 octane.

·
Registered
5 Posts
98/95 ron in AUS

Hey There

I tried some 95ron the other day (unleaded 1993 430 18v) and immediatly felt a difference it seemed smoother for some reason, did not seem to have so much harshness in the motor. Hard to explain and qunatify but with 98, the motor feesl like it is getting a quick bang on ignition, whereas the 95 seemed to be pushing on ignition, which is odd because I though the the higher the octrane the slower the fuel burns.

I will try this a gain and see what happens

Go on though give an idea of the problem, so we all might learn if there is something to watch for?;)

Regards

Danilo said:
Here's something, although I don't know how well it actually answers your question.

"I'm sure you remember that I own a 2.24v, wHich I love. Since I wrote last time a lot of things happened. One of them was really bad. I will not fully explain now, what happened, because it is a very long issue, but I beg you to give this advice to all Biturbo owners on your pages, that 2-litre engines up to 01/92, cannot, must not, use unleaded fuel.

Worst still if you use 100 octane fuel. Bad if use other level of octane. Maserati never explained or cared about this issue, and people like me who drive there cars, I still do 30,000 kms per year, end up suffering the consequences.

Even if you use additives the problem will happen!! When I used Shell V-Power 98 ron with Shell Millenium additive, the problem was there but it only showed after 40,000 kms or so. I know this because I did almost 220,000 kms with my 4.24v, and started to use unleaded fuel in the last 20,000 kms or so, then I sold the car."

·
Registered
17 Posts
My friends,

I'm the one who wrote what Danilo quoted.
I wrote the issue to inform all the viewers of Enrico maserati pages.
But the internet is a global matter so...

Let me explain to you all, that all maserati engines 18v, 2.0 or 2.5 can use unleaded fuel from engine nº 15048 made in March 1987.

The 24v, 2.0, up to the 16th january 1992 can't.

In Australia the octane level is different from Europe and America.
I think they give a different value, nevertheless the octane level is always around 95, anyway.

Regards,

Miguel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
mont
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing