Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday we tried to put the top down for the first time since we picked up the 2004 Spyder from the seller. Everything seemed to be working correctly until the process stalled when the top was about 3/4 of the way down, not once but several times. Just stopped. I contacted the seller and they suggested that I have my wife hold the button down and that I should "help" the top go the rest of the way down. Admittedly I don't know much about the car but "helping" the top go down doesn't seem an advisable thing to do. Anyone smarter than I have any thoughts/suggestions? (Sorry about the 90 degree tilt to the picture, technical difficulties.)

Frustrated,
Kendal
View attachment 137559

·
Registered
528 Posts
The literal answer to your question is "no good", but to try and answer the question you should be asking is that this is a common problem. It is usually elastic straps that become weak and can't fold the top correctly as it goes down. Do a search of this forum and you'll find the info. A guy called Lorenzo used to make replacement straps.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Yesterday we tried to put the top down for the first time since we picked up the 2004 Spyder from the seller. Everything seemed to be working correctly until the process stalled when the top was about 3/4 of the way down, not once but several times. Just stopped. I contacted the seller and they suggested that I have my wife hold the button down and that I should "help" the top go the rest of the way down. Admittedly I don't know much about the car but "helping" the top go down doesn't seem an advisable thing to do. Anyone smarter than I have any thoughts/suggestions? (Sorry about the 90 degree tilt to the picture, technical difficulties.)

Frustrated,
Kendal
View attachment 137559
Just curious as to how the top functioned, if you tried it, pre-purchase.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good answers both. Tony H, yes I had the strap discussion with seller and was originally told that the straps had been replaced with a better version that were not as prone to stretch as the OEM. He said he sells a lot of Maseraties. However when we went to pick up the car and requested a demonstration of putting the top down and up (timado404), the man who was helping us discovered the the straps had not been changed. He went to his office and got a set of the new, better design straps and installed them. I checked the straps when I was trying to get the top to go down and, as far as I could tell, they were in place and I have no way to judge the tension. What do I know?

Kendal

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Very good answers both. Tony H, yes I had the strap discussion with seller and was originally told that the straps had been replaced with a better version that were not as prone to stretch as the OEM. He said he sells a lot of Maseraties. However when we went to pick up the car and requested a demonstration of putting the top down and up (timado404), the man who was helping us discovered the the straps had not been changed. He went to his office and got a set of the new, better design straps and installed them. I checked the straps when I was trying to get the top to go down and, as far as I could tell, they were in place and I have no way to judge the tension. What do I know?

Kendal
Ok...and sorry you guys are experiencing this, I know it must be completely frustrating. Hopefully you get it sorted soon and have many miles of top down driving. (y)

·
Registered
684 Posts
had the same problem... got two straps from Lorenzo.. and works perfect again

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
had the same problem... got two straps from Lorenzo.. and works perfect again
My understanding/belief is that the straps have been replaced with straps from Lorenzo. I suspect that the real issue may be that the straps are either in the wrong place(?) or at the wrong tension. The problem is I don’t know where they should be exactly, and I don’t know what the tension should be. Too bad there are no smart top people in Petoskey Michigan. The driver’s side looks pretty good but the passenger side, I’m not so sure. I can try to take some pictures if that would be helpful. You have no idea how much I appreciate everyone’s help here on the forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If they are Lorenzo's straps, they can be pulled tighter or repositioned. They worked great for me. Pics would help...

·
Registered
528 Posts
There was an error in my first post so I've corrected it.

In the diagram the top folds like an accordion with the points marked F being relatively forward and B back. The black line is schematically how it folds. Of the forward folds only hoop 2 (F2) is fixed and F1 and F3 are free folds. So the problem starts when hoop 1 (B2) doesn't go back to make a fold between the front of the top and hoop 1.

If you look at the OP's picture you should notice that hoop 1 is stuck under the front hoop of the top. To free it I would move the very front of the top forward to take the weight off hoop 1 and then I'd try to move hoop 1 back to get the correct folding. I've never tried this because my top works fine.

The red loop is where the strap should be.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chap on the UK site put up some useful info:

Purely for reference and found on ML:

Haven't needed to repair/replace straps yet - but curious to know how/where Lorenzo's straps fit in.

5,381 Posts
If the straps are the issue you can generally kinda reach your hand in there and flip the bar in the middle backwards manually as it closes so it doesn't bind up best I remember...Jason

·
Registered
684 Posts
YOU PLACE STRAPS NEXT TO THE EXISTING ONES... LARRY'S STRAPS VELCRO TOGETHER

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it spyder 13, thank you. From what I could see, I think the driver side strap is positioned correctly but the passenger side might be too close to the center.

Kendal

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the straps are the issue you can generally kinda reach your hand in there and flip the bar in the middle backwards manually as it closes so it doesn't bind up best I remember...Jason
My wife and I finally got up the courage to try the top again. I followed your suggestion to the letter Jason and down she went. Success! Now, if we can figure out how the new velcrowed straps should be adjusted, we'll be able to avoid this hassle in the future. Sincere thanks, Jason, for your help. And my most sincere thanks to all who responded to our call for assistance.

Kendal

·
Registered
791 Posts
My wife and I finally got up the courage to try the top again. I followed your suggestion to the letter Jason and down she went. Success! Now, if we can figure out how the new velcrowed straps should be adjusted, we'll be able to avoid this hassle in the future. Sincere thanks, Jason, for your help. And my most sincere thanks to all who responded to our call for assistance.

Kendal
Yeah you’re gonna start to love Jason. SRSLY.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts