Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
prince karim aga khan said:
What dont you like about the maserati quattroporte, it has many admirable qualities, i only wish to find out the negatives.

Maserati asked me.
1. Everything about the Nav system
2. Problems fueling
3. Only one cup holder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
For me, it's really only enjoyable in manual-shift mode. And I sort of associate manual shifting with midsize to small cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Qp

I love the exclusivity... b4 i purchased the QP sort GT ( i test drove a variety of new cars Bentley Flying Spur, M5, M6, Audi A8 and an MB S65)
the QP had the most personality and most straight forward "turn key and go"

what i DON'T LIKE

as mentioned:
-dumb ass nav
-one cup holder

not mentioned:
-i had a sqeaky instrument cluster which i guess happens on a few. the dealer fixed (no charge)
-don't like the CD changer under the steering wheel, tends to skip when flying over stupid speed bumps
-no spare tire


in conclusion:

I Personally wish the QP sport GT had a bigger more aggressive brake upgrade.
it would also be cool if the sport GT had a more aggresive fascia like AMG's and M cars

drive safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
one cupholder is fine for me. (they will have 2 cupholders in the new center console for 07 auto). the navi is fairly useless.
there is a antisqueak kit / recall. as well you can get a spare tire, which i have.

i thought the suspension was too soft even in sport, and too hard in normal. the transmission could be quicker (as in the Sport GT). going into R could be quicker. the transmission should default into Manual instead of Auto everytime you start the car. the sport button should be linked to the exhaust system as in the GS or 90th spyder.

i didn't like the size of the trunk.

the finishes are great except for the blue enamel key (do a search and you can see how easily it chips). the leather didn't smell as fragrant as in the GS, ferrari's, aston martin, or jaguars. and it is very delicate.
the size of the steering wheel can be smaller.

there is quite a bit of learning curve to get use to the transmission, as well as the traction control's behaviour. you really need to know the car well to enjoy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MrTheKid said:
I love the exclusivity... b4 i purchased the QP sort GT ( i test drove a variety of new cars Bentley Flying Spur, M5, M6, Audi A8 and an MB S65)
the QP had the most personality and most straight forward "turn key and go"

what i DON'T LIKE

as mentioned:
-dumb ass nav
-one cup holder

not mentioned:
-i had a sqeaky instrument cluster which i guess happens on a few. the dealer fixed (no charge)
-don't like the CD changer under the steering wheel, tends to skip when flying over stupid speed bumps
-no spare tire


in conclusion:

I Personally wish the QP sport GT had a bigger more aggressive brake upgrade.
it would also be cool if the sport GT had a more aggresive fascia like AMG's and M cars

drive safe!
I like your avator, is that your car, may i ask how old it is, and what do you dislike about the nav system.

I am making a note of all comments, as we want the next QP to have none faults, if possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M! said:
one cupholder is fine for me. (they will have 2 cupholders in the new center console for 07 auto). the navi is fairly useless.
there is a antisqueak kit / recall. as well you can get a spare tire, which i have.

i thought the suspension was too soft even in sport, and too hard in normal. the transmission could be quicker (as in the Sport GT). going into R could be quicker. the transmission should default into Manual instead of Auto everytime you start the car. the sport button should be linked to the exhaust system as in the GS or 90th spyder.

i didn't like the size of the trunk.

the finishes are great except for the blue enamel key (do a search and you can see how easily it chips). the leather didn't smell as fragrant as in the GS, ferrari's, aston martin, or jaguars. and it is very delicate.
the size of the steering wheel can be smaller.

there is quite a bit of learning curve to get use to the transmission, as well as the traction control's behaviour. you really need to know the car well to enjoy it.
Do you not think the enamel key by being chipped gives it style, do people love the key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
prince karim aga khan said:
Could you possibly explain 1 & 2 in more detail, your comments are appreciated.
The nav system is quite old technology requiring the use of many CDs. The design is poor at many levels. Many of us have simply bought a small portable unit to use instead.

The QP has some gas filler design that makes the vapor recovery system of gas pumps in the U.S. pop off constantly. You seldom can just set the gas pump to fill and walk away. It will keep popping off and you have to move the pump nozzle all around to find a suitable position. An annoyance is all.

Speaking for myself though; I love the car. I have nearly 50,000 miles on my 05 and, for the first time, plan to keep the car past 50K miles. Very passionate car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
(1)The design of the front, it's grown on me quite a bit but it does have room for improvement.

(2)The only way I would consider one personally is if it was offered in 12cyl, I think there should be an option of 8cyl and a 12cyl for the people that want the 12cyl.

(3) The OEM sound system is not that great, I'm not one to replace sound systems in cars, it's one modification I hate doing so I expect OEM to be decent.

(4) The fact that it's not offered as a 6spd, I know there's a very very small amount of people that want a 6spd Quattroporte but it would be nice if it was available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
prince karim aga khan said:
Do you not think the enamel key by being chipped gives it style, do people love the key.
yeah, not only does it give it style, my model friends rave about how sexy those chips are.

beyond that, i can recognize my key from a pile of QP keys at the shop.

personally i prefer a high polish finish that is *more resistent to chips*.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I really wanted to like the QP so much.......I really wanted one but........ First of all is an uncomfortable car for tall people to drive, believe it or not it has less space in front than the coupe, I guess they had to save some space for the rear passengers, second issue is the gearbox but I guess you know that by now, third is the size of the trunk how can such a large car for people to travel long distances can have such a small trunk?, not really forgivable and last not very important but the holes on the side do not serve any porpouse at all which in a car of this price to have something like that added on just for looks......c'mon!!, I got an M5, monstrous trunk, big space up front and back, the gearbox is not made in heaven but is better than maser's.

fix it..... I'll buy it I really want one

regards

maximus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
As has been said before:

1. NAV - not very good at all
2. CD Changer under Steering Wheel Column - not very clever
3. Gearbox - Does need some getting used to - works well in the end, though there is room for improvement
4. Trunk is sufficient for 2 people only - not really a car u can travel in with luggage.

Other than that I love my QP. Maximus above has a point, but I wouldn't trade the QP for a M5. Drove the M5 - awesome car there is nothing wrong with it at all but it never feels like there is anything particularly right either. The gearbox in the M5 is by no means better than the QP's. Just my biased opinion though :)

Why oh why is Maserati deluding the QP with a "standard" automatic ?! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
maximus136 said:
I really wanted to like the QP so much.......I really wanted one but........ First of all is an uncomfortable car for tall people to drive, believe it or not it has less space in front than the coupe, I guess they had to save some space for the rear passengers, second issue is the gearbox but I guess you know that by now, third is the size of the trunk how can such a large car for people to travel long distances can have such a small trunk?, not really forgivable and last not very important but the holes on the side do not serve any porpouse at all which in a car of this price to have something like that added on just for looks......c'mon!!, I got an M5, monstrous trunk, big space up front and back, the gearbox is not made in heaven but is better than maser's.

fix it..... I'll buy it I really want one

regards

maximus
thats what i thought until i drove the QP sport GT the day after i drove the M5 (took the M5 up tp 150 on CA highway)
drove the QP Sport GT, loved the gearbox, loved the control--- wired the cash next day!


ps where i live M5's are like assholes.... everybody has one.


cheers

drive safe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Similar to above:

1. Gearbox takes time to get used to. Should default to manual, the auto mode is useless. Even in manual, can show severe hesitation from a slow rolling start. Does not handle steep hill starts gracefully.

2. Nowhere to put coins, cds, etc.

3. I had problems with door seals initially, now ok.

4. CD player badly positioned & skips.

5. Nav. system is terrible. Our Acura MDX system is MUCH better.

6. Quality control of interior not great. Squeaks, loose trim, etc. All fixed under warranty.

With exception of gearbox, the rest are minor issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
a few convenience issues:
i would like to add, both front seat's heater and massage buttons should be visible and accessible by the driver.
the front park distance control should be automatically be switched on at low speed (<5kph).
the clock (!) should behave itself.
and the Navi WARNING MESSAGE should go away so that i can use the stereo controls (even on the steering wheel) without pressing the "ACCEPT" button.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
In case you missed it, this thread has a few things not yet mentioned:
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290

A few more points (after putting about 8k miles over the last 6 months on a used QP 2004):
- the gearbox in low revs (i.e. driving in a steep incline at low speed, such as a parking)
- there has been discussion about a short clutch life; probably not a real problem its still a nagging feeling in slow traffic, parking maneuvers etc. which is easily resolved with a warranty of some sort
- the trunk needs to be bigger and be heat insulated from the exhaust (its cooking my wine!): this is a 2t GT car made for long distance travel, still it doesn't fit 2 adult gear for a week
- build quality is not 100%: I have had two flat batteries
- the sat nav is hopelessly slow, which makes it a driving hazard. how about a Bluetooth keyboard?

Incidentially, is your screen name a pseudonym?

- Toffe
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top