Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this term used quite a bit here and have no idea what it is reffering to. Can someone please explain..

thanks

·
Registered
909 Posts
It is what you do when you "heel-toe" shift. When you go from say 3rd gear to 2nd gear, you may be at 3000rpm in 3rd, but in 2nd you would be at 4500rpm, it will blip, or briefly rev the motor to about 5000rpm while the clutch is dis-engaged, and it will spin down to 4500 as it re-engages the clutch.

I'm not sure what the benefits are on modern full synchro transmissions, but it was essential on older transmissions, especially when shifting quickly. I think its mainly for racing situations, where you are at or near the performance capabilities, and maintaining traction under braking. This prevents sudden grabs and instability.

... plus it sounds cool.

- Mark

Although I should note that heel-toeing also involves using the brake at the same time... Three pedals, two feet, and a lot of 'fun' to master.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy Crap!

thanks for the info...

how do I do all that while changing the radio station, holding a cup of coffee, and shaving?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
maserati of minneapolis
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing