Maserati Forum banner

What Does An ILLEGAL Maserati Sound Like?

4K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  BigFoot 
#1 ·
#6 ·
cats removed

sounds impressive! Did you get any cel issues?

any change in performance?

any change in fuel consumption?

did you remove all four cat? I mean I understand that there are two pre-cats and two further cats down the exhaust system. I just love my tubis and there arent enough tunnels where I live.

Although my exhausts are loud no one complains because the sound of a Ferrari engine with TUBIs is just exhilirating!! Definitely best bang for your buck!

#8 ·
sounds impressive! Did you get any cel issues?

any change in performance?

any change in fuel consumption?

did you remove all four cat? I mean I understand that there are two pre-cats and two further cats down the exhaust system. I just love my tubis and there arent enough tunnels where I live.

Although my exhausts are loud no one complains because the sound of a Ferrari engine with TUBIs is just exhilirating!! Definitely best bang for your buck!

The car has an AMAZING high end... I can get to about 100 mph by the time I am off the on ramp... I am hoping that adding the sport cats will give me the low end as well...

Fuel consumption didnt change much... it may have even gotten better?

I removed both the pre-cats and the two cats donw the system.

The CEL is on at the moment, but it just says that the cats are not warming up... nothing about NOT HAVING THEM!

#10 ·
It sounds great!

I remember Jeff saying that removing the cats would make the car sound like a Camaro, but your car doesn't at all.

Why don't you keep it like that?

#21 · (Edited)
what symptoms were you having that led you to the conclusion the cats were damaged?

Was it a slow onset or did you find a specific problem develop all at once?

I am curious because you are the 2-3rd person I've read about having problems with the
cats falling apart.

Also, were you on Rodeo drive while doing that last video? You did a prior one on Rodeo, no?
I go there quite a bit in the evenings and don't want anyone to confuse my parked car with yours.
Sorry man, but I don't need the "key ranger" or "mr. 16 year old lesson teacher" messing with
my car.

#22 ·
I hit a very bad dip and smashed the passenger precat... it broke apart, blew up the secondary cat on the passenger side, and the pressure differential destroyed the cats on the drivers side.

All this happened within two days or so... Noticed a change in the exhaust tone.

Dont understand what you meant by the last paragraph though.

#23 ·
I see, so it wasnt really a mechanical failure but more a road incident. Thats good to know.
Must have been a bummer hitting that dip. I hit that bump on the 405 freeway North at
Santa Monica Blvd, 90mph+ and it was a serious wake up call that we live in a city that
maintains roadways geared for SUV suspensions.

I was semi joking with you about the rodeo drive thing. I have the same color car as you do..black,
and I would be hesitant about reving my engine and/or then leaving the car unattended...
I would think it draws more attention, BH police & public including souvenier hunters.

#24 ·
They go out more commonly than you may think... we hear it all the time.

Here's the progression the best I can tell:

1. You'll start hearing the fragments flying around tinging when you are idling.
2. You may start seeing what appears to be smoke coming out when you rev the engine... it may be dust of a disintegrating catalytic convertor.
3. You may start to get the "Slow down" light from the cats overheating.
4. You exhaust note starts to change (gets deeper, more muffled and quieter)
5. Your car starts to slow down because it's so clogged up.

At that point you need to remove the exhaust system clean it out and replace cats. We have high flow performance cats if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.