Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen:

I think my battery is about to die. I would like to replace it.

Seems easy and straight forward but I just want to see if I am missing anything Maserati specific?

What Batterys do you recommend? Any potential pitfalls and or resets I have to be careful of?

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
54 Posts
Battery Replacement

Get an OPTIMA battery. They look like a six pack of soda. They have six sealed cells and can be discharged and recharged many times.

DrEvil

·
Registered
214 Posts
Second the Optima. I replaced the factory battery with a Red Top and it made a HUGE difference. The car turns over faster, and it's such a great feeling to turn the key and know the car will start, something I didn't have with the original battery.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Called the dealer....

I called the Dealer to ask about a battery. The parts manager was a real nice guy. He told me they use Interstates in their Ferraris and Maseratis.

He said he could ship one to me, but it would be quicker and cheaper to pick one up from a local dealer.

The Battery had to be ordered. If anyone is interested the Interstate Part number is MTMX5.

cM

·
Registered
530 Posts
Any of you guys with the Optimas notice different behavior with the Low Bat warning?

As I was driving my new acquisition home lasat October, I noticed I was getting the Low Bat warning so one of the first things did was replace the old battery with a new one (also Interstate) but that didn't really help the problem.

Come to find out that the electrical systems on these cars are under amped and are actually designed to shut down "non necessary" functions like the climate control when under heavy load.

I know the Optimas are used by thee Porsche crowd to address spillage/corrosion problems in the battery box, and by the cars that go boom to provide extra amps, so I'm kinda curious.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Steeldream said:
Any of you guys with the Optimas notice different behavior with the Low Bat warning?
No Low Bat warning on my '06. But Optimas are generally very well regarded. They can stand deep-discharge better than regular batteries.

Interstate usually does well in Consumer Reports' tests.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I do second the Optimas (remember you ahev to ask for the REVERSE polarity one, or you are stuck, as cabling is the Maser is the other way around). To change the battery you need to fiddle a bit (remove the trunk carpet, side-cover and off goes the crap FIAMM which comes as default).

Remember to (1) turn your alarm OFF (as you can open the trunk with the alarm on, so it's easy to forget) (2) lower your door windows about an inch, (3) cut-off power using the dedicated knob, (4) UNEARTH FROM CHASSIS FIRST, negative follows, then positive terminal (so you work left to right, or back to front), (5) Presto!

BTW if anyone happens to get stranded at night (battery low, needing a boost) NEVER-EVER do it WITH THE LIGHTS ON. There is a system design screw-up somewhere which means that charging in that situation (hey, you're at night, pitch-dark) closes a circuit which has the F1 pump linked to it, and it gets fried. If you jump-start the car, well, you know you have to cut the power feed or else... but trickle chargers don't need that, so if you try to power-up with the gadget connected + lights on, the F1 pump goes toast quite fast (the relay says bye-bye).

You've been warned.

Ed
Ed

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you turn the alarm off?

How do you turn the alarm off? Is there something special?

Or does do you mean just keep the car unlocked with the windows down?

Thanks. CM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts