Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while my car has only 13K miles when I just bought it is now 5 years old in that it was made in Fall of 2003 even though it is 2004 model; I do not know if the battery has been replaced or not; what is the OEM battery and what do you guys put in these and approx. cost...thanks, I prefer to be proactive than calling a tow truck; however, WHAT happens when I change, is this a DEALER thing; can I even get to the battery, because all my settings, electrical stuff, codes thrown etc gonna happen; I hate to reset radio and all that stuff all the time........aaagggggghhhhhhh:mad:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I replaced the oem battery in my coupe with an optima red top a few months ago.

If I rememebr correctly the pos./neg. posts are "reversed" from the standard config.
and took 2 days to deliver to autozone.

cost was somewhere around $200.00

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'm glad this topic comes up periodically.

I had major battery failure issues. I replaced the battery with an Optima Red Top (reversed posts). While the battery rocks, I soon relalized that the Maser sucks over 100 milliamps while sitting idle. Add a dome light left on or a radar detector... the battery goes flat after a few days REGARDLESS OF THE BATTERY!!!!! So, while I'm glad I have my Optima, I still need my battery charger sometimes; especially during the stereo install.

·
Registered
62 Posts
With my '06 GS, stock battery (not even two years old) went dead after GS sat in the garage over Christmas/New Year (not even 9 days in total). Replaced it with Interstate MT-34R, $98.21, half the price of Optima (put an Interstate in our 550 Maranello as well). Note that I've seen some references to MT-MX5 on the board as the Maserati-suitable battery but it is not the correct one, you need a 34R battery (R for reversed terminals).

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Wait huh... I'm confused Buzz...

What causes the battery to die when you install the V1?

Keeping it on when you leave the car (obvious)?

or does it actually die even if it is off, etc.?

·
Registered
722 Posts
...Replaced it with Interstate MT-34R, $98.21, half the price of Optima ...
Was the battery terminal height an issue on the Interstate? Many people have commented that the Optima is tall and wants to short its red post against a nearby bracket.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Wait huh... I'm confused Buzz...

What causes the battery to die when you install the V1?

Keeping it on when you leave the car (obvious)?

or does it actually die even if it is off, etc.?
Ali,

The normal car electronics pull current when it's off. Leaving the V1 on excellerates the process, but as Squid pointed out, it'll die on its own over a few days.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
So... unlike most other cars, leaving the car off and not driving it (to use the alternator) will lead to a dead battery in about a week?

Thats CRAZY!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Interstate batteries are fabulous for Italian cars. Odyssey is lighter by about 30% if weight is a consideration.

I replaced mine in my 360 1.5 years ago with an MTP-91 Interstate, and it spins that engine like a rocket motor.

Should also keep the battery on a tender when not in use.

I swap my tender between two cars weekly, and the batteries are always up to par.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Was the battery terminal height an issue on the Interstate? Many people have commented that the Optima is tall and wants to short its red post against a nearby bracket.
Yep, it is a tad higher and narrower than the stock FIAMM; you have to be careful not to break the fuse-box supports and short the terminals. I did install an Optima Red-Top on my 4200 and the difference was HUGE in terms of cold-start performance. However, what Buzz points out may suggest a Yellow-Top (deep cycling) would be a better choice. But dunno if they do fit, as they are slightly bigger than the Red-Top, and only a couple of the Yellow-Top batteries come with reversed terminals.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My experience is that if you leave the car locked (alarm on), it runs down in 1-2 weeks. Unlocked (alarm off), more like 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My experience is that if you leave the car locked (alarm on), it runs down in 1-2 weeks. Unlocked (alarm off), more like 2-3 weeks.
Ermmm... mine sat for 2 weeks until today, locked and alarm engaged, today turned the ignition on (going for a spin...) and it started like a charm, with plenty of power (14 amps showing from start). And... still on the factory-fitted FIAMM. Touch wood :D

·
Registered
603 Posts
Optima for QP

The local Maserati dealer replaces all the Fiamm batteries with Interstates when they die. Is there much difference between these and the Optima? If so, I don't believe Optima has a direct match for the QP battery. Has any one figured out the closest match to the OEM, and if so, is it worth using instead of the Interstate battery specifically matched to the QP Fiamm battery?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ermmm... mine sat for 2 weeks until today, locked and alarm engaged, today turned the ignition on (going for a spin...) and it started like a charm, with plenty of power (14 amps showing from start). And... still on the factory-fitted FIAMM. Touch wood :D
I still have the stock battery in my 04, and regularly let the car sit for 2+ weeks, and have never had any problem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts