Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the "basement" of my coupe's trunk (bottom of spare tire well) was wet after I picked up the car, so I dried it out. It was fine for a while.

Now, it is wet again.:confused:
I am not able to corelate the wetness with either rain, or washing the car.

There is no sign of moisture on the flat part of the trunk, but it is wet at the bottom of the spare tire well. Sometimes wet enough for water to pool

While I plan on having the dealer look at it, is this a common issue? Has anyone tracked down the source of water? I would hate to bring it in for something simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Fred said:
I noticed that the "basement" of my coupe's trunk (bottom of spare tire well) was wet after I picked up the car, so I dried it out. It was fine for a while.

Now, it is wet again.:confused:
I am not able to corelate the wetness with either rain, or washing the car.

There is no sign of moisture on the flat part of the trunk, but it is wet at the bottom of the spare tire well. Sometimes wet enough for water to pool

While I plan on having the dealer look at it, is this a common issue? Has anyone tracked down the source of water? I would hate to bring it in for something simple.
Could be condensation. Where are you? Is it humid? Warm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are in New Jersey

If it was condensation, the entire trunk would be wet.

This is only in the sub basement of the trunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Most spare tire areas in the trunks have a rubber plug (so that you can drain water out). IF the Maserati has one down there, and its missing, the rain from driving could be coming up from the underside.....

I know my old 1980 Maserati 4Porte had 3-4 rubber plugs in the spare tire area.

Mike
'02 GT Coupe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
That was me.......it was the boot seal as I said. Once I cut the drain holes in the seal it cured the problem for ever. Should not have had to do it but the dealer was 2 hours away and I like fiddling!

Fred said:
Great link....

It looks like the last poster found the cause, but never confirmed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Fred said:
I noticed that the "basement" of my coupe's trunk (bottom of spare tire well) was wet after I picked up the car, so I dried it out. It was fine for a while.

Now, it is wet again.:confused:
I am not able to corelate the wetness with either rain, or washing the car.

There is no sign of moisture on the flat part of the trunk, but it is wet at the bottom of the spare tire well. Sometimes wet enough for water to pool

While I plan on having the dealer look at it, is this a common issue? Has anyone tracked down the source of water? I would hate to bring it in for something simple.

Were you at Algar on Monday or last Friday? I was there both days (sofa downstairs) waiting on service on my car and I remember there being a car in there with sometype of water leak problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mille162 said:
Were you at Algar on Monday or last Friday? I was there both days (sofa downstairs) waiting on service on my car and I remember there being a car in there with sometype of water leak problem.

Not me, sounds like this may be a common problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SJP63 said:
That was me.......it was the boot seal as I said. Once I cut the drain holes in the seal it cured the problem for ever. Should not have had to do it but the dealer was 2 hours away and I like fiddling!
This sounds like a perfect opportunity for a DIY article, and to secure your place in Maserati Life fame! :D

Where in the seal did you cut the holes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Ok let me try and explain.......So open the boot (trunk) lid and see the seal coming down both sides vertically and curving round to the horizontal. What was happening was water was flowing down the insde vertical surface of the closed boot lid, and running into the V of the seal. It then pooled in the V of the seal at the horizontal part until it filled up and overflowed at the lowest point into the boot behind the carpet trim, ending up in the lower boot recess.

The holes were cut on the OUTSIDE edge of the V seal right through the double layer of the O section seal, leaving the other solid inner edge of the seal intact. I cut triangles in the seal at 6 inch intervals, so that the water just emptied overboard toward the rear bumber (fender). Worked 100%

Strange thing is my new Coupe doesnt leak like that.....




Fred said:
This sounds like a perfect opportunity for a DIY article, and to secure your place in Maserati Life fame! :D

Where in the seal did you cut the holes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
I too have joined the wet trunk club, to the tune of about 3" deep!!

The air compressor was quite wet, hopefully it is all drying out now.
It was bone dry 3 days ago. Very weird.

Trunk was definitely shut properly as it popped up when I went to open it this morning.

Dealer took a quick look and took photos. I sent them the info from this thread.

Glenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback.
The local dealer says they never heard of the problem, so I think we will have to work together on this to figure out the root cause and the solution.

As spj63 noted, it seems that the water runs down the weather strip, and makes it's way in at the bottom of the lid.

I have seen traces of water on the lower right corner, as well as the center where the weather strip is seamed together.

I think it makes it's way into the bottom of the boot by the latch, traveling under the plastic cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Well my trunk was VERY wet under the upper edge of the trunk lid, and the upper part of the seal was very wet.

Mine is an 05 btw. I parked it outside over 2 nights with moderate rain. Trunk was dry Wednesday when we unloaded our gear.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top