Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i has been some time, maybe months but i have been truly busy. i have wanted to share this fact with all of you. the story starts some time ago...

i take my car to the track from time to time, and as a result (A) i have to buy tires every two days, and (B) my brakes don't last me much. after changing my brakes at a dealer and literally getting Fu%ked. i started to thick... were can i get my brakes services other than the dealer?

i looked all over the country and apparently the only place were you can get pads for this car is at the dealer. then i remembered from my racing days that my old sponsor "Performance Friction" said that they have racing applications for almost all fast cars. so i got on the phone and i contacted the head office.

i spoke to the main engineer, and he smartly mentioned that Maserati doesn't have the budget or volume to get brembo to design an exclusive brake caliper for there cars. he suggested i take the pad out of the car and trace the dimension on a piece of paper, and fax it over to him so he could take a look.

the man maid sense. i promply did what the man asked, and guess what?

it terns out that the front caliper from the Maserati coupe was the exact the same as the Nissan 350Z track edition. and the back one was used in many Porsche applications.

well, that fixed my racing pads problem, but i still needed street pads. so i got a par of racing pads to test the theory out (i figured that if they didn't fit, it would was easy to sell them on eBay), but at the end "Performance Friction" was correct.

yes my fellow Maserati guys it is true, we use the same pads as the 350Z and the Porsche. after my success with the racing pads i properly contacted StopTech (stoptech.com) to see if they had some good performance street pad for my car. i told them the story and they asked me to trace the pad again and send it to them, they called me back and started laughing.

well sir, (they said) you are right. the pad for the 350z track edition are the same as for the Maserati, so i ordered a pair of axxis ultimate street pads for my 03 coupe and i have never looked back...

i don't remember the exact model of Porsche for our back pad's , but you can trace the pad and send it to make sure you get the correct item.

You may ask the reason for not using the ferodo pads that come with the Maserati?

the reason is simple (A) i can't sleep a night knowing that i just payed $1000.+ for pad that i could have gotten for $450. and (B) there are far better friction compounds out there that can improve your braking performance.

well, sorry for the bible of a post. i hope it help some one..

Willie

·
Registered
390 Posts
Good info. This is common for low-volume producers. The 350Z track has a different and far superior braking setup than the standard one, with big Brembos all around.

My Triumph has a pipe and forks from a ZX-6R and sprockets from a GSX-R. Do I care? Not really...makes things cheaper for me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Wait, my rotors are warped...I wonder if I can just go to a Nissan dealer for a cheaper replacement....hm...

Good God am I a cheapass LOL

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Robb373 said:
great post!

after my track day this weekend, I will be calling stoptech!
i don't remember the exact model for the back brakes,( lost of porsche used the same) but just mention to the stoptech guy my storry and if you want you can have them look up my order ( i think it was under willie salguero) or just trace the back pad and send it to them.

-willie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts