Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm still orienting myself with Maseratis. I've become quite attached to the idea of purchasing a GS and I'm going through my research. I went by the AutoGallery and checked-out their 2005 GS. They also had a Nero Carbonio GS which is my first choice in color. This GS had some interesting badging that I had not seen before (Maserati badge on the front quarter panel). It started me wondering about the aesthetic differences between GS variants.

I looked through some old threads and here is what I gathered:

1. C-pillar badges - Seems as though these badges came on the 2005 GS but not the 2006?? I've actually seen some 2005/2006 models with and without these badges. I know that you can purchase adhesive-based badges so perhaps many owners put them on their cars.
  2. Wingbadge - This is the Red/Blue/White oval Maserati badge. There was a thread about these. It seems like they were included on the 90th Anniversary models and they were installed within indentations on the front quarter panel.
  3. Italian Flag - These are found on the MCV models.
  4. Chrome Grill - This is found on Vintage models?

So, if I get this straight, I can visually tell if the GS is an MCV by the Italian flag emblem (and of course by the very cool CF seats :cool: ) and I can tell if it is a 90th Anniversary GS by the wingbadge. Is this correct? Is there any way to tell if the car is an LE? I think not since this appears to just be a pre-packaged set of options. What is the Vintage model? I think that this model has chrome grills and other accents. Was this only available on the Coupe and not the GS?

Thanks again for any help!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow !

Okay, so I'm still orienting myself with Maseratis. I've become quite attached to the idea of purchasing a GS and I'm going through my research. I went by the AutoGallery and checked-out their 2005 GS. They also had a Nero Carbonio GS which is my first choice in color. This GS had some interesting badging that I had not seen before (Maserati badge on the front quarter panel). It started me wondering about the aesthetic differences between GS variants.

1. C-pillar badges - Seems as though these badges came on the 2005 GS but not the 2006?? I've actually seen some 2005/2006 models with and without these badges. I know that you can purchase adhesive-based badges so perhaps many owners put them on their cars.
  2. Wingbadge - This is the Red/Blue/White oval Maserati badge. There was a thread about these. It seems like they were included on the 90th Anniversary models and they were installed within indentations on the front quarter panel.

So, if I get this straight, I can visually tell if the GS is an MCV by the Italian flag emblem (and of course by the very cool CF seats :cool: ) and I can tell if it is a 90th Anniversary GS by the wingbadge. Is this correct? Is there any way to tell if the car is an LE? I think not since this appears to just be a pre-packaged set of options. What is the Vintage model? I think that this model has chrome grills and other accents. Was this only available on the Coupe and not the GS?

Can you now please explain the Porsche 911 line up !

·
Registered
695 Posts
What is the Vintage model? I think that this model has chrome grills and other accents. Was this only available on the Coupe and not the GS?

Although, the GS Coupes/Spyders share some trim items with the vintage packaged Coupes/Spyders, there are definitive other differences - the vintage package was an option on the standard coupes/spyders. The GranSport is a stand alone model.

Easy to spot a Vintage Package Coupe/Spyder - look for the front fender trim:

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts

I have a "plain vanilla" (not MCV, not LE, not "anniversary edition) 2006 GS and it came from the factory with C-pillar trident badging (chrome, no red stripes) I have added the red stripes to the C-pillar badges so they match the grille-mounted front trident emblem, which has the red stripes that signify a GS as opposed to a plain Coupe.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although, the GS Coupes/Spyders share some trim items with the vintage packaged Coupes/Spyders, there are definitive other differences - the vintage package was an option on the standard coupes/spyders. The GranSport is a stand alone model.

Easy to spot a Vintage Package Coupe/Spyder - look for the front fender trim:
Thanks. You obviously have first hand experience. I do like the vents on the front fender. Are they functional? Also, what else is different about the Vintage package from the base package?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a "plain vanilla" (not MCV, not LE, not "anniversary edition) 2006 GS and it came from the factory with C-pillar trident badging (chrome, no red stripes) I have added the red stripes to the C-pillar badges so they match the grille-mounted front trident emblem, which has the red stripes that signify a GS as opposed to a plain Coupe.
Interesting. Seems random then which cars get the C-pillar trident badging and which don't. I have a Lotus as my weekend car and they are hand-built. There are many stories about finding interesting mistakes in the builds such as options that were included but not listed on the invoice and vice-versa and unique souvenirs found in the car like tools and wires and such that were obviously not supposed to arrive with the car. I assume that Maseratis are hand-built as well with the relatively low volume. Do people find varying build qualities in the vehicles?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Interesting. Seems random then which cars get the C-pillar trident badging and which don't. I have a Lotus as my weekend car and they are hand-built. There are many stories about finding interesting mistakes in the builds such as options that were included but not listed on the invoice and vice-versa and unique souvenirs found in the car like tools and wires and such that were obviously not supposed to arrive with the car. I assume that Maseratis are hand-built as well with the relatively low volume. Do people find varying build qualities in the vehicles?
Coupes 2005 and above got C-pillar badges (plain, no red stripes); standard GranSport have NO C-pillar badges; LE do have C-pillar badges, with red stripes painted on the Trident base; MCV and CCs (contemporary classic) GranSport do NOT have C-pillar badges as standard, at least in Europe.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coupes 2005 and above got C-pillar badges (plain, no red stripes); standard GranSport have NO C-pillar badges; LE do have C-pillar badges, with red stripes painted on the Trident base; MCV and CCs (contemporary classic) GranSport do NOT have C-pillar badges as standard, at least in Europe.
FTW

GranSport + 0 * Trident badge = normal GS
GranSport + Trident badge on C-pillar with red stripe = LE
GranSport + Italian Flag on front qtr panel = MCV
GranSport + recessed Maserati wingbadge = Anniversary
Chrome vents on quarter panel =! GranSport

QED

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
...I went by the AutoGallery and checked-out their 2005 GS. They also had a Nero Carbonio GS which is my first choice in color. This GS had some interesting badging that I had not seen before (Maserati badge on the front quarter panel)....
FTW

GranSport + 0 * Trident badge = normal GS
GranSport + Trident badge on C-pillar with red stripe = LE
GranSport + Italian Flag on front qtr panel = MCV
GranSport + recessed Maserati wingbadge = Anniversary
Chrome vents on quarter panel =! GranSport

QED
hold on sherlock.

the Maserati windbadge/shield/whatever you want to call it, started appearing in these coupes/spyders in the 2005 90th anniversary SPYDER. (so you can delete the GS + recessed = anniversary).

in 2006, MNA decided they would packaged them with a few options as "Limited Edition" (LE).

so the car you saw, either was not a 2005 but a 2006 LE, or there must be something very strange....

·
Registered
279 Posts
yep... the anniversary edition aint GS... they are normal spyders with a GS kit...

·
Registered
339 Posts
debadging?

Insurance is repainting the car due to some stonechips, was thinking about having them leave off the "V8" emblem as well as the "Design by Guigurio" on the sides (they seem to constantly catch threads from cloths when washing). Anyone have any pics of cars debadged (any badges removed)? Will keep hood ornament and side pillar badges.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Insurance is repainting the car due to some stonechips, was thinking about having them leave off the "V8" emblem as well as the "Design by Guigurio" on the sides (they seem to constantly catch threads from cloths when washing). Anyone have any pics of cars debadged (any badges removed)? Will keep hood ornament and side pillar badges.

I removed the V8 badging from my GS and it looks much sleeker and less cluttered, IMHO. Will get some photos this weekend to post.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
yep... the anniversary edition aint GS... they are normal spyders with a GS kit...
well, actually no. depends on what you mean by kit. the 05 90th anniversary spyder is in fact a precursor to the 06 GS Spyder, all the GS goodies included. it is indeed a GS Spyder. not just the body kit.

the active exhaust system is basically the same as the GS. the interior is same as GS. the suspension is different from the coupe/GS anyways.

what i was referring to is, the anniversary should not be confused with the coupe/GS as in the comparison with various GS. there was an anniversary coupe edition in AU if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I was of the understanding that the C pillar emblems can be added/deleted at will.

They're certainly an easy retro fit option.
Yep, you can buy the "plain" ones (no red stripes) for peanuts in e-bay or even at a dealer... for the latter give a call to Joe Macari (speak to Clinton Edwards, their Parts Manager) or try Eurospares. The ones with "red stripes" can only be ordered at a dealer and was told those will be only ordered (by the dealers) if your car had them fitted as OEM. Check Eurospares though, or you can always try paint the red stripes yourself :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep, you can buy the "plain" ones (no red stripes) for peanuts in e-bay or even at a dealer... for the latter give a call to Joe Macari (speak to Clinton Edwards, their Parts Manager) or try Eurospares. The ones with "red stripes" can only be ordered at a dealer and was told those will be only ordered (by the dealers) if your car had them fitted as OEM. Check Eurospares though, or you can always try paint the red stripes yourself :D

Indeed, I took some bright red modeler's enamel and a fine brush, masked the ridges with tape, and painted my own red stripes on the C-pillar tridents to match the grille trident. Looks OEM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts