Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work today, in very light highway traffic, and cruising along just a notch under 80mph, I noticed a black car quickly approaching in the adjacent fast lane ( which is also a carpool lane ) .
It looked like either an Audi R8, or a McLaren, or a new NSX , ( from a significant distance and in the rear view/ side mirror the noses look somewhat similar ..from a distance ! ☺ )
As it got closer, it was easy to tell it was a fairly new R 8. He clearly wanted to show off, because he was already traveling probably around 100 mph, and when he got within five or so car lengths behind me I heard him go to wide open throttle, keeping it there as he passed by me as if I was standing still . It was one of the V10 ones. But this is not about speed. I had forgotten how much I like that exhaust note, at full acceleration. Hard to say if I like it better or as much as the GTS, but in either case it’s intoxicating . Not intoxicating as in inhaling the carbon emissions driving behind it, because that’s all you’ll see if you try to race one 😌.. but that exhaust sound is pretty damn impressive. Not a Ferrari or Lamborghini “scream“ , it’s somewhat of a deeper note, closer to an Aston Martin DB, but just considerably more pronounced..quite a bit louder. I think it was likely stock .
I approve (y)(y) And a little envious..but not too much ..:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True .. and with the exception of this car they’ve never made anything with a decent sound ..or looks for that matter . IMO.

Well, maybe the Z8 and the i8 are exceptions in terms of looks. Still a far cry from Italian design. Or sound.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,348 Posts
R8's with the V10 is pretty much the same engine as in the Lambo Huracan. Of course it's going to sound great.

You can hate Audi as much as you want, but there's no denying that a used R8 is one of the biggest supercar bargains in the universe. It's totally daily drivable (thanks to AWD), very reliable, very fast, and doesn't get as much negative attention on the streets as a Lambo or a Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove one of the first generation R8s ; unbelievable handling, and a phenomenal true super-sports car all around. That car had breakneck acceleration, I can’t even imagine the blistering speed of the V10. But as I said, the sound of this V10 is a true bonus, I haven’t heard another German car ever sound this good, and I’ve owned Porsches for 40 years ( they can’t squeeze a decent exhaust note out of them if their life depended on it ) and same with BMWs, or with Mercedes ( until the recent GTs which is not bad ).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The only other V10-powered supercar with an even better exhaust sound (in my opinion) is the legendary Lexus LFA.

If you've never heard the LFA in person, you haven't truly lived. (or call yourself a car enthusiast).

I've read somewhere that it took Yamaha sound engineers something like 1,000 man hours to tune and perfect the LFA's signature exhaust! 😲

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Is that the most gorgeous looking exhaust or what?!

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve only seen one, and it was parked. Now I have to make a point to hunt for one and hear the exhaust in person... Videos/sound clips on a computer speaker just doesn’t do it justice.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I saw and heard several LFA's on my visits to Cars & Coffee out in Los Angeles and Las Vegas over the years. The first time you hear it, you'll never forget it......it's absolutely spine-tingling!

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
In the videos it sort of sounds like a blend of a Shelby 427 Cobra or Boss 302 at idle , and then surprisingly a Lamborghini ( insert any given model here ..) on acceleration, but with a much , much higher pitch, and just vicious ! Pretty intimidating .

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you literally want your car to sound Exactly like a race car from the factory, there is nothing above the Ferrari F50. It literally comes with the same F1 V12 engine from Ferrari Scuderia that they use in their Formula 1 cars. The sad part.....you need about 3 million dollars to own one.

Check this out:

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
There is a guy on my street who has either an F 40 or an F 50 . One of these days I’ll find out which one , could be “just“ the 40, vaguely recalling my friend who was over one day and saw the car go by..pretty sure he said F 40. He had a 355, bit that it makes him an expert on every Ferrari, but more than I am. Anyway, the car passes by my house once or twice a month, always on weekends, and the thing is so loud it‘s insane. Our street has a steep incline so when he’s driving downhill that thing emits some serious crackles and pops. Uphill he steps on it and it screams like a banshee ( wait, is that PC ? :oops: ) But way too much noise for my taste, even if I could afford it , I’d never drive anything that ridiculously loud.

Edit : on second thought, must be a 50, a 40 with a V 8 and especially twin turbos which muffle the sound quite a bit probably would not be nearly that loud .

·
Super Moderator
4,346 Posts
My neighbour has one. Takes it out of the garage every day :)

C

·
Premium Member
2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
194 Posts
If you literally want your car to sound Exactly like a race car from the factory, there is nothing above the Ferrari F50. It literally comes with the same F1 V12 engine from Ferrari Scuderia that they use in their Formula 1 cars. The sad part.....you need about 3 million dollars to own one.

Check this out:

Awesome sound. May be one of the ugliest cars I have seen.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My neighbour has one. Takes it out of the garage every day :)
C
(y)
Great to hear he can drive a car like that daily, one would think it needs to be worked on constantly and end up in the shop more often than on the road. I guess it’s a testament to just how well Ferrari built that marvel .

·
Super Moderator
4,346 Posts
(y)
Great to hear he can drive a car like that daily, one would think it needs to be worked on constantly and end up in the shop more often than on the road. I guess it’s a testament to just how well Ferrari built that marvel .
Ahh! Sadly he has an R8, not an F40! :lol:

C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awesome sound. May be one of the ugliest cars I have seen.
I used to think so as well, especially since it replaced the F40 which most of us worshipped up on the bedroom wall (yep I prayed to the F40 AND Countach Gods), but over the years it’s really grown on me. I wouldn’t say it’s a beautiful car, more purposeful I guess. I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at one if someone handed me the keys! 😜

1 - 20 of 46 Posts