Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know.
"Improve MPG" and "Maserati" do not belong in the same sentence. But I just want to know if it's possible, like at all.
I've seen online some tuner chips that claim to give you to 6 MPG and up to 60 additional horsepower. Has anyone ever tried this on a QP or GT with an F136 engine? Are they total BS or will it actually increase my fuel economy by 50%?
(God I feel so daft, saying "increase my fuel economy" while talking about a Maserati...)

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just came in here to laugh! If you ever once considered a car for economy you bought the wrong vehicle lol I challenge anyone to find a modern sedan rated lower!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jeffb99tx

·
Registered
57 Posts
I understand the laughs but my improvement has come as I have upgraded or made changes that have improved driving dynamics and performance. My avg mpg has gone up almost 2 mostly (~80%) due to wheels being 44lbs lighter than the stock ones, removed my spare tire (think it weighed 49lbs if memory serves me correctly) as most of my driving done on a highway with speed limit 75 flow of traffic 85 to 90 not risking changing on shoulder would call a tow anyway. My battery was going bad replaced with antigravity battery -32lbs at a significant height from the ground.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No chips for this car. Any "tune" to the ecu would would be for top end hp and not increase crusing speed gas mileage. The factory already has to meet strict efficiency & mpg standards. Your driving habits will make the most difference. Or just drive it and dont even pay attention to the gas mileage. Thats the most rewarding way to drive in my opinion.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I’d be highly suspect if shaving 100lbs off the 4550lbs of weight will have any noticeable effect on MPG. Maybe some if you cut down the weight by half, but a ~2% reduction won’t do much...

·
Registered
789 Posts
I understand the laughs but my improvement has come as I have upgraded or made changes that have improved driving dynamics and performance. My avg mpg has gone up almost 2 mostly (~80%) due to wheels being 44lbs lighter than the stock ones, removed my spare tire (think it weighed 49lbs if memory serves me correctly) as most of my driving done on a highway with speed limit 75 flow of traffic 85 to 90 not risking changing on shoulder would call a tow anyway. My battery was going bad replaced with antigravity battery -32lbs at a significant height from the ground.
An 80% increase in economy mainly due to removing 130lbs from the car? Did I understand that correctly?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts

“An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by about 1%”

I think you may have miss-calculated your before/after MPG. Especially since the QP is much heavier than the average sedan.

Biggest MPG drain is going to be driving habits, not weight.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Gasoline is energy in the liquid form. If you reduce gasoline consumption without weight or friction reduction, you get less performance.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Point of order: You can increase efficiency and get more performance for reduced consumption. But you're not going to make huge gains in this scenario

C

Reactions: Cynabar

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know, I know.
"Improve MPG" and "Maserati" do not belong in the same sentence. But I just want to know if it's possible, like at all.
I've seen online some tuner chips that claim to give you to 6 MPG and up to 60 additional horsepower. Has anyone ever tried this on a QP or GT with an F136 engine? Are they total BS or will it actually increase my fuel economy by 50%?
(God I feel so daft, saying "increase my fuel economy" while talking about a Maserati...)
I know, I know.
Hello, get from Formula Dynamics the ECM Module, tubi stage 3 exhaust and you get higher gas mileage, although your neighbors may hate you LOL.

·
Registered
567 Posts
They are total BS

C
Hi Catman,

I would argue the point and say that there are fuel savings with a Tune. My old GT was tuned and while around town, I didn't see much of a difference but on a road trip, 80mph cruise control on the freeway, I did get a significant savings. Cheers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I drove to Sebring from Atlanta and back 2 weeks ago, in 2002 Spyder. 75-85 mph mostly. 17mpg.
I would think that if the final ratio was reduced so that it cruised at 2000-2500 rpm instead of 3500-4000 the mileage would improve. But I am not complaining. I did not buy it for economy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know, I know.
Yes. I have one for my QP. It does not quite as claimed but it does improve performance and mpg somewhat.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Hi Catman,

I would argue the point and say that there are fuel savings with a Tune. My old GT was tuned and while around town, I didn't see much of a difference but on a road trip, 80mph cruise control on the freeway, I did get a significant savings. Cheers.
Yes technically it is possible to change the balance that the factory spent a lot of money working out to give good drivability with many different fuel qualities and many different sets of atmospheric conditions and many different driving states.

However when tested empirically, tune chips (and I should probably make clear this tends to be non-turbo engines) are typically total BS.

C

1 - 20 of 20 Posts