Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

As my sled is being worked on I’ve been told that the water pump is starting to leak at the front seal and weep holes which means there is an internal leak.

Ricambi has the part for $26xx and labor, wait for it, drum roll…is $3,000.00 usd…

I am asking the dealer if I can wait a month or 2 to fix this but more importantly….couldn’t I have this rebuilt and replace the seals? To me, that is a lot of change to spend on a repair. I am planning on keeping this car indefinitely…so I will get it fixed/replaced at some point.

I currently have 58,xxx miles so I wanted to share with the forum as this could be another possible expensive fix….and I am also not sure how common or not this is either……..?

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
804 Posts
Stephen, that's in the window for water pump failure. One of the issues with our dry sump engines is the expense of the pump assembly which has the water pump and oil pumps combined. Doing the job right, means pulling the front cover off, as the drive chain and gear should probably be replaced also. All in all, not too cheap or easy. Good luck.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Jason. I just found a great YouTube video where they replace the seals with the kit you had suggested titled -> “We saved $3000 with a DIY REBUILD TRICK!!** FERRARI F430 Oil & Water Pump”.

It’s a good watch. Thank you again.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
804 Posts
They offer one for a 430 and it is basically the same pump.
I have a nib f430 pump, and a trashed 4200 pump bought cheap off ebay. The part numbers are different, but the only difference is the oil filter by-pass valve spring appears slightly heavier in the f430 pump. As long as the shaft splines are good, and the rotors are all good, a reseal/ bearing kit should be fine.
Edit: the Ferrari 458 pump looks similar, but won't work.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a small leak at the front seal a while back, Jason recommended I try dropping in an AC Delco cooling system seal tab, I did, 3 or 4 years later, no leak!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys, you know, as much as I praise the dealer and think they’d never take advantage I was wrong. My service adviser did call me back after I asked if I could go a few months without fixing it and he said yes. Same scenario years ago when I was told that I needed to replace my steering rack to replace the boots…long story short, I purchased the boots and NOT the steering rack and to this day, I still haven’t replaced them.

Again, thank you guys for your help…much appreciated.

Kindly,
Stephen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts