Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I have a 2003 Coupe GT. I bought it about two weeks ago, based on quite a bit of advice I received on this forum (so thanks for that!).

Anyway, a few days after I got it, the low washer fluid light came on. I took it in for its routine maintenance and the light went off. However, a few days later, it came back on. I haven't been running the washer wipers a crazy amount, maybe once or twice. Looking at the fluid level, it looks fine. Now, I can easily just ignore that light until the next service. However, I was wondering if there were some other easy solution/common fix?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
793 Posts
I had the same problem with an earlier 7 series BMW. it drove me nuts.

So I put a jumper wire across the terminals in the cap to permanently fix the problem.

I am maintenance oriented. I did not need a regular reminder especially since I rarely used the washers.

Same fix might work for you.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Justin,

The sensor for the windshield washer reservoir is just behind the coolant bottle (see photo). Check and make sure the connection is plugged in all the way, or that no wires are broken and exposed. These sensors just plug right into the reservoir. If its like every other one I've had on Alfa's, Maserati's, Lamborghini's, etc.. Its held in place by a rubber grommet. You can wiggle it and pull the entire unit straight out (you'll have to remove the gray cover panel to allow easy access to it). Sometimes, "gunk" accumulates on the little float, and even though you have enough fluid, the weight of the gunk on the float keeps it from raising up to shut off the connection to the idiot light. Just carefully clean off the float, maybe put a drop of lubricant on it and manually push it up and down. That should free it up. If not, the unit itself might be faulty.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for the detailed response! There are no problems with the sensor itself. I wiggled it around, and saw no loose wires.

I'm actually not all that comfortable removing the whole thing. I assume you just pull the sensor itself out. I'm actually having a hard time seeing where the reservoir for the washer fluid actually is. When I originally looked, I didn't lift up the gray cover. I just assumed the reservoir for the coolant was for the washer fluid. However, that's obviously not it. The receptical for the fluid seems to angle back toward the cockpit. After that, I didn't see where it went.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi Justin:

It is a very funky shape! Here is a shot of it from the parts manual. Item #13 is the sensor:

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yep, #15 is the rubber grommet that hold the fill pipe (#16) in place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey,

For all who read this later, it turns out their was a loose washer or something near the headlight cleaner. That's why I never saw the thing leaking. It only leaked when the system was on. The dealer is going to fix it for me though, thankfully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.