Maserati Forum banner

Was thinking about running my car in a dyno……

2K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Jason@ Enzo`s Atlanta 
#1 ·
Is there anything I need to know or look for…?

1. Is there a specific dyno that works better for these cars?

2. a lot of cooling…

3. Should I try and find a rolling road dyno so the computer doesn’t think something is wrong with only the rear wheels spinning…??

4. Just curious to see the gains I have, granted, I should have baselined the car before - but would be curious if I am around the 350-360 WHP range. There is a video on YouTube with a white GranSport that puts out 350 WHP horsepower, however, they are running the sported Larini cats and I have the Larini decats.

As always - thoughts and opinions always welcome.

Kindly,
Stephen

#4 ·
Usually dynos will break your heart...There is all the HP you make afters swiping your card and talking BS to your buddies and then there is what you make...Figure a 15-20% drivetrain loss to figure crankshaft HP...What does your car have on it again? I want to try and guess the WHP...Jason..

#10 ·
Ok, a stock GS is 395 crank HP according to Wikipedia...The tune and the decats are really your power adders there..I'm gonna say your power adders add about 42 HP...So 395+42=437 HP....437HP wheel HP with a 18% loss would be like 358 WHP...Be aware that a Mustang tends to read slightly high.I just got my BMW back off one and the number is high IMO...Let us know...J

#12 ·
Mine is a 1988 E30 BMW...2.8 liter stroker motor 2 valves per cylinder, with big cam, head work, header, full exhaust, extrude hone intake and 3mm over throttle body, megasquirt stand alone injection...I put down 216 HP on a Mustang..That would put the car in like the 235-240 crank HP range and I think the car is more like in the 225-230 HP range...Either way it is 2700 Lbs and pretty quick with that HP...J

Reactions: Oishi
#15 ·
Here..Driving it is like being a rock star on the weekends..It attracts a lot of attention...No more mods..It was just repainted..Just working a few little trim pieces at this point..Jason
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

#17 ·
Atlanta has a 60 mile highway that forms a circle around the city...You are either ITP or OTP here...In or outside the perimeter...I'm OTP so while not as fancy as ITP you get a lot less traffic, car break ins, etc...Just less BS...Tim is ITP...Both groups usually stay in there area...Jason

#24 ·
Thank you..I'm 51..Owned it since I was 23...It has been a daily driver, a track car, and back to weekend car..It was 2008 NASA TTC southeast champ car...It is retired like the driver these days...It goes to the grocery store now...E30s are great cars...They are like putting on your favorite pair of blue jeans as far as car goes IMO...J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.