Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, was curious to see what kind of a trade in I could get for my 2005 spyder with 3.5k miles on it with vintage package, skyhook suspension and hi-fi system, piping, etc... Its flawless. Have been toying with possibly going with either the GS coupe of M6 (need to make it look like a 4 seater). Anyway, after making a couple of differnt calls to various dealers across the country, I was quoted 40-50k for trade-in. I think this is an absurdly low number particularly since sticker price was 107k. Am I wrong to think its more like 65-70k? or are the dealers trying to low-ball the smack out of me?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Wait,

Didnt you just buy the Coupe? Or was it that you just joined?

Regardless, just keep the Maserati... It has four seats hahah... Plus, with the FD mods, you can tear apart an M5 in the canyons (hypothetically I just did a few days ago ;])

·
Registered
69 Posts
So, was curious to see what kind of a trade in I could get for my 2005 spyder with 3.5k miles on it with vintage package, skyhook suspension and hi-fi system, piping, etc... Its flawless. Have been toying with possibly going with either the GS coupe of M6 (need to make it look like a 4 seater). Anyway, after making a couple of differnt calls to various dealers across the country, I was quoted 40-50k for trade-in. I think this is an absurdly low number particularly since sticker price was 107k. Am I wrong to think its more like 65-70k? or are the dealers trying to low-ball the smack out of me?
When I was shopping for mine about a month ago I saw similar cars to yours RETAILING for $50 - $53K. Sorry, but the trade value seems accurate.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
M6? A human can't actually sit in the rear seats, though you can in the Maser (GS, GT or Coupe).

You should be able to do 5-10K better in the open market for your Spyder, particularly with the low miles.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wait,

Didnt you just buy the Coupe? Or was it that you just joined?

Regardless, just keep the Maserati... It has four seats hahah... Plus, with the FD mods, you can tear apart an M5 in the canyons (hypothetically I just did a few days ago ;])
he has a spyder no back seat.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was shopping for mine about a month ago I saw similar cars to yours RETAILING for $50 - $53K. Sorry, but the trade value seems accurate.
would love to know where you saw these cars. Because I have been doing online research and have not found a single 2005 spyder for under 65k especially one with as low milage as mine. 2004 and earlier I have found in the mid 40's - upper 50's. I guess my questin is: is it unreasonable to trade my maser +10k for an 06 gt coupe or an 06 m6 with 5-10k miles?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Listing for $65K and getting it"....

I understand; I talked to the dealer after I got mine 8 weeks ago; thought I wanted to sell it already to get a GS; I paid $47K for an 2004 with 13K and all the goodies(skyhook, heated seats, etc) except the nav....they told me my car would wholesale at $39-$40K!.....so while you might see them all over at $65k the issues is are they selling for that.....my friend just paid $53 I think for an 05 spyder with identical miles as yours that he is retailing for $65K and he is a high line dealer, I have seen this car and its nice; so if you could get $50-$53k that is probably right(from the dealer) in the $40's lets them really make a profit; my take from the dealer here and my buddy in the wholesale high line is that $8-10K per car is what they are looking for.........try to sell it yourself and someone may save sales tax like here in Georgia, good luck!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand; I talked to the dealer after I got mine 8 weeks ago; thought I wanted to sell it already to get a GS; I paid $47K for an 2004 with 13K and all the goodies(skyhook, heated seats, etc) except the nav....they told me my car would wholesale at $39-$40K!.....so while you might see them all over at $65k the issues is are they selling for that.....my friend just paid $53 I think for an 05 spyder with identical miles as yours that he is retailing for $65K and he is a high line dealer, I have seen this car and its nice; so if you could get $50-$53k that is probably right(from the dealer) in the $40's lets them really make a profit; my take from the dealer here and my buddy in the wholesale high line is that $8-10K per car is what they are looking for.........try to sell it yourself and someone may save sales tax like here in Georgia, good luck!
Ouch! I got mine at 69.9k a little over a week ago. I figure if I get rid of it at 60-63K, it would still allow the dealers to mark it at 73-76k and get 67-70 for it. thats roughly a 7-10k profit for them right there. I just did a comparison between the MSRP value of a 2005 spyer and an MSRP value of a 2006 m6. They are 5k apart. I refuse to believe that the maser depreciates at a rate of 23.4% per year, where as the M6 depreciates at the rate fo 11.2%. BTW they list 2006 m6 with about 10k miles for 80k and want to give me 50k for my maser... don't think so..

Again I have not found a single 2005 spyder with low-end miles for less than 65k listing. assuming they get 60k for it in the rare places that even have them, I can't see getting a trade in value of 50k. 60 would be a more reasonable number. I may have to just private party it if it came to it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Resale value

I bought my 05 coupe for 65000 with 1000 miles and a sticker or 100000 in Jan 06. I shopped it for tradein/purchase at several dealers in Houston eight months later and got 53000 as a best offer. That dealer retailed it for 62000 and later dropped to 59000 and finally sold it for a little less.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the exact same car with 18,000 mi. but new clutch & new tires.
Was told best wholesale price would be $50,000.
Retail would be about $56-$59K at best for this year and model.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just watched an 05 GS Coupe with 24,000 miles go for $41,300 on ebay for no reserve...
Wow!! There must be something seriously wrong with that one. If it's the car that I think it is, we have the Manheim auction price listed in this thread as $51,600:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3388

It's hard to imagine that the dealer took at $10K+ bath on that vehicle unless there was something wrong with it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just watched an 05 GS Coupe with 24,000 miles go for $41,300 on ebay for no reserve...
That's a steal of a deal and in no way an indication on the value of the car. Furthermore its hard to make a generalization off that deal without knowing the specific condition of the car. All I know is the sticker price on my car was 107.5k. In less than 3 years and in near mint/showroom condition I can't see how the cars value drops to the 40's or 50's. Particularly since it is a rare car which is hand made, While a production bmw can essentially keep its value 2 years out with significantly more miles. I honestly think 65-75k is the right retail value depending on quality of condition, with trade value in the range of 57-67 again depending on quality of condition with that price range.

·
Registered
69 Posts
would love to know where you saw these cars. Because I have been doing online research and have not found a single 2005 spyder for under 65k especially one with as low milage as mine. 2004 and earlier I have found in the mid 40's - upper 50's. I guess my questin is: is it unreasonable to trade my maser +10k for an 06 gt coupe or an 06 m6 with 5-10k miles?
Actually it was Coupes I saw at that level as I was not looking for Spyders. Not sure what the premium, if any, is for a rag top. Sorry for the confusion.

Here is a similar example, nicely optioned but without Vintage, that sold in the mid-50's: http://tinyurl.com/yqovqf

·
Registered
274 Posts
As the man previously said Welcome to the Maserati world dont know what you guys are complaining about half the time , massers in the states are well below what we pay in the uk and our petrol is now the the most expensive in the world , you should be out driving and enjoying it rather than worrying how much your losing , you;ll never achieve that masser grin worrying like that all the time ,
Find a smooth open road for miles with plenty of bends foot down and enjoy the worries will just fly away

Regards lozcb

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ebay is not always a great place to determine market value on small volumes of a particular item - I think there are too many fluke things that occur or additional facts that go into a deal that you never know about. So I wouldn't extrapolate individual ebay sales into a FMV number.

Exactly one month ago I paid $45K for my '04 Spyder CC Nero, 6K miles with most everything (Skyhook, Xenon, etc., except the nav). SoCalBeach or someone like that on this board paid the same for the same year and same miles back in the fall. I think the $50K trade-in upper end is not too far off what you can expect from the dealer, perhaps its a little less than they should give you. Given your low miles, I think your $65K is a reasonable asking price for a private sale, but I would be prepared to spend time with potential purchasers and PPIs and then sell it for $3-5K less than the price you set. So, yeah that's about a $10K difference in price which you may want to go for depending on how much your time is worth and how much hassle you are willing to endure.

·
Registered
258 Posts
best thing is to wait for a used GT

all what we hear about limited availability , special editions, waiting list is not real, this guy is facing reality.
Give GT 2-3 years and you'll get it at same price

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
all what we hear about limited availability , special editions, waiting list is not real, this guy is facing reality.
Give GT 2-3 years and you'll get it at same price
I really doubt that after 2-3 years you will find a 50-60% depreciation in value for the gt. I compare the gt to the am vantage. 2-3 years later and AM holds its value is at around 65-75% of sticker value. I see the same to hold true for the Gt. Just my 2 cents :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts