Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I currently have an issue with my 2004 Spyder GT. When driving it hard the ABS, EBS, Suspension and SLOW DOWN message display on the dash and the speedo drops out. The car still drives ok and I have to pull over and turn off the ignition, wait a while and then when I start up again everything is ok?
As previousl mentioned, it only happens when under full accelleration and it is not specific to a particular gear?
Any help with thus would be gratefully recieved
thanks.
Ratman.

·
Registered
308 Posts
AFIK, the 'Slow Down' warning is specifically related to O2 sensors. All the issues happening at once sounds a lot like generalised electrical problems. On other cars I've had issues like that when battery voltage is low. What is the readout on your dash for the battery? And it might be worth bothering someone with a battery tester.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
My battery is in A1 condition and the voltage is reading slightly over 14v. I popped my head under the car this morning and noticed that the lefthand thermocouple was detached from the exhaust. I will need to repair this as it looks like at some point (possibly clutch replacement) it was sheared and then spot welded back into place. This spot weld has now fractured and the thermocouple is swinging in mid air. Hope fully the differential in temps between the two might be causing the slow down warning?
the other warning lights ABS, EBS and loss of speedo, seem to happen after a left hand turn!! I am hoping that it could be a loose connection on a plug or intermittant wirring fault.
Where does the speedo pick its signal up from? Does it use the signals from the ABS & EBS?

thanks again
D.

4,250 Posts
The slow down warning is coming from that thermocouple almost guaranteed...The cluster gets a wheel speed signal from the ABS module...You need to check all 4 wheel hubs for any looseness and inspect the wiring coming out of the sensor built into the bearing...Next step is look at all wheel speeds via a scan tool when it acting up..Jason

Reactions: Catmanv2

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The slow down warning is coming from that thermocouple almost guaranteed...The cluster gets a wheel speed signal from the ABS module...You need to check all 4 wheel hubs for any looseness and inspect the wiring coming out of the sensor built into the bearing...Next step is look at all wheel speeds via a scan tool when it acting up..Jason
Hi Jason,
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully looking at it this weekend if the rain stops (uk weather).
Is there a scan tool you would recomend using,I have access to a Texa and a Launch but I dont think they will read Maserati.....Derek

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Launch will read a Maserati, though sometimes you will need to use the GranTurismo settings to get specific parameters off of the ECU, but it covers everything on the transmission.

If you have those tools already, getting a few codes out of the ABS/Skyhook computers would be a great start!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI,
i’ve secured the thermocouple this weekend and that seems to be ok now,,,no SLOW DOWN message.
I then took all the wheels off and checked the hubs,bearings and cables but unfortunately everything seemed to be ok.
I checked and cleaned all the plugs and also slpit and cleaned the plugs to the accelleration sensors just in case.
I then went for a test run. All ok untill hard acceleration and then low and behold, ABS, EBS, a red TCS and no speedo.
If i spin the rears up setting off I get a green TCS light which I presume is indicating that the traction system is working.
I tried our LAUNCH but unfortunately Manchester Fire Brigade didnt want Maserati software on it :-(
so I can’t read any trouble codes. Do you know where on the vehicle the ABS / EBS unit is located, thinking just to check the cables and plug here.
thanks alot
Derek

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Launch will read a Maserati, though sometimes you will need to use the GranTurismo settings to get specific parameters off of the ECU, but it covers everything on the transmission.

If you have those tools already, getting a few codes out of the ABS/Skyhook computers would be a great start!
HI,
i’ve secured the thermocouple this weekend and that seems to be ok now,,,no SLOW DOWN message.
I then took all the wheels off and checked the hubs,bearings and cables but unfortunately everything seemed to be ok.
I checked and cleaned all the plugs and also slpit and cleaned the plugs to the accelleration sensors just in case.
I then went for a test run. All ok untill hard acceleration and then low and behold, ABS, EBS, a red TCS and no speedo.
If i spin the rears up setting off I get a green TCS light which I presume is indicating that the traction system is working.
I tried our LAUNCH but unfortunately Manchester Fire Brigade didnt want Maserati software on it :-(
so I can’t read any trouble codes. Do you know where on the vehicle the ABS / EBS unit is located, thinking just to check the cables and plug here.
thanks alot
Derek

4,250 Posts
It is normally next to the master cylinder on a LHD drive car, but you guys got your cars all wrong so it could be on either side next to the shock tower...Jason

Reactions: The Rat Man

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you can just read the codes with a generic OBD scanner, you should be able to look up some of the manufacturer specific ones. I may even have a reference table somewhere.

4,250 Posts
I'm not sure you can see ABS data with a generic scanner..You can't in the USA...Not positive how it works in foreign countries, but they generally only show you stuff that would make emissions greater than 50% of normal... As far as I know everything is about the same except for evaportive emissions....J

·
Super Moderator
4,346 Posts
Certainly couldn't get them on mine in the UK

C

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've had some luck with $15 china-tech ones off of ebay before. They just spit out everything they detect with no rhyme or reason, so sometimes you get lucky.

@The Rat Man the Maserati software should be installed on the launch by default - just not the latest update IIRC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts