Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a used 02/03 Spyder with F1 trans. I have a strong passion for sports cars......I have owned other high end euros (BMW/Audi) but non of the super high ends, if you will.......
My question to you is how much more per year would a Maserati cost me over something like an Audi TT? I just don't want to get in over my head on maint. and repairs. I can do basic maint. such as oil changes myself but I am unfamiliar with the type of maint and repairs that these cars require.
Are these the type of cars that can stick you with huge repair bills each month or two or have they proven to be reliable?
How many miles on the car is too much to buy, (most of them for sale out there have less than 20k)
I understand that some advice may be if you think you can't afford it then don't buy it, but I really want one of these cars, you only live once after all.....I make about 90k, if that helps (in OK).
Hopefully I won't offend anyone with my "can I afford it" questions but I am a die-hard car guy and I can't help it.....;)
Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If in warranty the costs are comparable to owning a Porsche, nothing too extraordinairy, maybe the short clutch life if you buy the CambioCorsa (I did not).
If something major goes the prices can be a little silly for the parts, Ferrari engine or gearbox in particular, even trim and body. A few cars have been written off and I know of a local italian salvage yard where things can be bought for less.

I would not worry too much, just get a depreciated car with some warranty left and enjoy !

If you search the forum you will see threads exactly like yours, with yearly maintenance figures quoted by owners.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The average yearly maintenance cost is around $2-3k. There are several threads discussing this that you can find with the forum search function.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome to the club...

I will not bore you with all my numbers. However as a CPA its just in my nature to break everything down into figures. If you go through the first few pages of posts you will see all the discussions on maintenance of these cars.

I bought an 04 with 1,000 miles 13 months ago. I currently have 11,000 miles on it. My only costs thus far have been my 6,000 mile $ 341.00 service and putting a NJ license plate holder on it $250.00. My dealer has fixed every little thing I found annoying like trim wear, a gear shifter, a door rattle and a loose parking break for free. I goto FM of NJ and have had no problems. They are very nice to deal with.

I am due for an oil change. I bought the filter from Maserati for $35.00 and became an Amsoil dealer and got all the synethic oil for $60.00. I know a very good local foreign car mechanic so my entire oil change will cost me less than $200.00. I think the dealer charges $325.00 ish.

I enjoy my car everyday as long as the weather is nice. I plan on driving it and racking up the miles. I have already budgeted the two biggest costs into my calculations a cluth job $3,000 (hopefully every 30 months or so) and replacing a pump out of warranty $2,000, ( every 36 months or so once the warranty ends ). I drive about 8,500 miles a year.

The regular 12,500 services are about 1,000 - 1,800. The first one is just filters and fluids. My mechanic said he can do the exact same thing for half price. I may end up just paying the dealer.. I am still on the fence. The reason the dealer is high is the $125.00 per hour labor rate.....

The brake pads you can get from Kevin at MVP on this board. I have dealt with him. He will take care of you. A good independent shop can install them for a few hundred. Tires you can get from Tire rack or discount tires direct.

Bottom line, depending on mileage and how long you keep your car your costs should average less than $2,500 a year. My advice, just start saving $250 each month and don't touch it. Mark it for your Maserati and just enjoy it.

However, if atleast $250.00 extra a month is too much, then the Maserati may not be the right choice. It is MUCH more expensive to maintain than an Audi, BMW or Benz coupe.

Buying a good used coupe is the key. Make sure you check all the service records and get a reading on the clutch life. Then as soon as you buy it bring it to a dealer, pay them for a complete inspection to make sure you are all set.

Good luck. A quality used coupe is the best bang for you buck out there today! Enjoy! CM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch for all of the help....I'm glad to see that Maserati has a good network of owners--of course having a forum means having to put up the the "same" questions over and over from new guys like me, but thanks for your patience...
I do have one more question, the clutch jobs that you are talking about, are they for the manual cars or the F1 trans cars (or both)? I was leaning towards the F1 trans but I wouldn't pass up a deal on a manual, is one better than the other? Less prone to trouble?
Also do these engines have timing chains or belts (if so when changed?)
Thanks.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
8rings said:
Thanks a bunch for all of the help....I'm glad to see that Maserati has a good network of owners--of course having a forum means having to put up the the "same" questions over and over from new guys like me, but thanks for your patience...
I do have one more question, the clutch jobs that you are talking about, are they for the manual cars or the F1 trans cars (or both)? I was leaning towards the F1 trans but I wouldn't pass up a deal on a manual, is one better than the other? Less prone to trouble?
Also do these engines have timing chains or belts (if so when changed?)
Thanks.....
6spd tends to last longer mainly because you're in actual control and the CC transmission requires alot of special care to get the most use out of the clutch.

The 6spd is of course less prone to trouble, but the CC isn't as troublesome as some may think, just more frequent clutch changes, CC pump every 25kish miles, and that covers the consistent problems.

Car has timing chains, shouldn't have to worry about changing it anytime soon.

Here's a few tips to getting the most out of your CC clutch.

- Never use auto mode

- Always use sport (except rain or ice which should be common sense)

- Try to use reverse as little as possible

- Avoid going uphill from a stop.

- Put it in neutural while sitting at the stop light

- Instead of downshifting every gear during normal driving (not spirited) just throw it in neutural.

- Do not take the foot off the accelerator while shifting, wait until the car finishes shifting

- Shift above 3krpm's all of the time, not saying run it to the rev limiter but 3.5-5k is nice for daily driving.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
773 Posts
$$$

love my cc. tires go quicker than my sisters mazda626 . i wonder if wheel spin has any thing to do with tire ware. 17000 miles, one clutch. change my own oil $5.00 quart, plugs 5.50 ea same as any other car for changes. big $$ come for things like skyhook shocks, clutch, top hoses and cly. we a talking $1000 for shock, top cyl.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All sensible advice - i have just picked up an 03 cc coupe here in the uk (see my other post).

buy used, be patient, get a warranty (or negotiate one in the purchase price) and get the clutch status confirmed and budget / re-negotiate accordingly

this should mean you are minimising the risk of a big, unforeseen bill.

do it, do it, do it...........

3 days into ownership after a few months of 'shall i, shan't i' and i know i did the right thing. ah, that engine.............!

good luck,

keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts