Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I would like to buy a new performance air filter for my Maserati QP - sport GT. 2007 model, and I wish can someone guide us to link and I'll be much thankful.

My location is in Oman.

Best wishes - Yasser E.:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yasser,

Would reconsider that perfomance filter. My mechanic here in Dubai strongly recommended me not to install as the sandy environment in the Gulf is not suited for that filter (big risk the fine sand here will in fact pass through the filter and into engine causing possible damaged.

Check with your mechanic first i would recommend.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
With the BMC filter there isn't a sand issue since they are oiled filters.
A dry filter like a foam filter will have this problem much quicker.

That being said, we have them in stock as well for QP
I disagree. First, foam filters are usually oiled. Second, I have seen many instances of accelerated engine wear due to gauze type filters on off-road vehicles. I don't think they are a problem for on-road cars here in the States, but off-road they should be avoided. They will let fine particulates through when they are overwhelmed. They tend to work just fine up to a point, but when there is too much or they are full, they just can't hold onto the dirt. Paper filters (like the stock one) do not have this problem. They will hold on to the point that the engine won't run.

All that said, I have the BMC in my Maserati (paper in my LandCruisers) and love it. Easy to clean, breathes very well even with exhaust mods, well made.... You should consider how much dirt you drive in and how often you are willing to clean the filter.

·
Sponsor
450 Posts
I disagree. First, foam filters are usually oiled. Second, I have seen many instances of accelerated engine wear due to gauze type filters on off-road vehicles. I don't think they are a problem for on-road cars here in the States, but off-road they should be avoided. They will let fine particulates through when they are overwhelmed. They tend to work just fine up to a point, but when there is too much or they are full, they just can't hold onto the dirt. Paper filters (like the stock one) do not have this problem. They will hold on to the point that the engine won't run.

All that said, I have the BMC in my Maserati (paper in my LandCruisers) and love it. Easy to clean, breathes very well even with exhaust mods, well made.... You should consider how much dirt you drive in and how often you are willing to clean the filter.

Thanks for the insight, from what I've experienced here the oiled filters will work good in dusty conditions but I don't have desert experience, so I'll leave that point for those with hands on experience.

On rally cars and motorcross bikes I've seen the oiled filters work much better compared to the dry foam style filters.
But that experience isn't in desert conditions, and i can for see those being much worse, I've been in Dubai quite often,.

The point you make in how often one would be willing to clean a filter is a excellent one and often overlooked, that is very true for challenging conditions.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
Oiled foam works great for pre-filters in dust. It's really the oiled gauze filters used alone that will allow contaminates in eventually. The upside to them is that in relatively clean environments, they clean and flow really well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts