Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does this mean I should cancel my order on my Gransport? Will I have to service it at an audi/vw dealer? What should I do?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I had my Porsche, VW owned them and car was serviced at a Porsche dealer. still way to early to know if this is even going to happen but I think they would have Maserati as a stand alone dealership. Could be many benefits to this happening and we also would have the last Maserati's built under Ferrari management.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I don't see this as a negative but as a positive. Seems like VW has made Lambo into a lethal machine that could hurt Ferrari. I don't think the Maserati line would deminish under VW ownership.

I think stand-alone dealers would be tuff. Just my opinion. But maybe you'll see Lambo-Maserati dealers? Now there is an idea! Strange world we live in. The other option would be Audi-Maserati as some Audi dealers are not grouped with VW (at least not where I lived in the states).

·
Registered
49 Posts
My two cents...

This could definitely be a positive - IF done correctly (a big IF I know). Frankly, I think the Maser coupe/spyder's true potential is limited while under the Ferrari name. Given the quarter-million $ price tag of Ferrari's GT line up, I think they will always be a little leery of having something so pedestrian as a $100k car nearly match the performance and luxury of its older siblings. At Volkswagen, there is no real 4-seater, GT coupe directly comparable to the Masers - it would slot in quite comforably. 500 HP and AWD sounds pretty enticing – and not a likely scenario while Maserati is owned by Ferrari IMO.

Of course, there is overlap with the QP and that Phaeton thingy they are selling. But Volkswagen will probably have better luck selling a luxury sedan under the Maser name.

The problem is, does VW (or anyone) want the headeache of returning Maserati back to profitability?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VW Phaeton is a mystery to me, Has that big VW badge on it and sells for about the same Price of a BMW M5. Which would you rather own? Maserati and Porsche are pretty evenly priced so you would think with the right marketing and distributorship at some point they could compete evenly. In my opinion Maserati is the most underrated high end car around, To many people still brining the negatives from their past exit from the US. I got so worried after reading so much about Maserati quality problems that I put a note book in my glove compartment to record the many problems I was expecting, Well its 5 weeks and over 1,000 miles now and the note book is still unused. Have yet to have any issues with my car. Then again part of me does not want these cars to take off, kinda fun having the only one in my town.

·
Registered
49 Posts
scott - I agree, the car is under-rated. I also think the Germans could improve on it if they tried...

Formula 1 - If you like the Gransport, my opinion is that you should keep the order... :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Direct Shift Gearbox

Any Audi drivers out there with experience with this transmission?

Wouldn't the integration of this transmission be a sweet compliment to the Maserati?

·
Registered
49 Posts
R&D did a comparo between a DSG-equipped Audi TT and an SMG-equipped Z4. They basically said that if you want the smoothest shifts, the DSG wins hands down. However, the SMG was much better for performance-oriented driving. Overall, it looks like the DSG drives a bit like an automatic, and does not hold a shift as well as the SMG or F1. Frankly, I wouldn't mind an ultra-smooth F1, but don't want to sacrifice to much performance for it...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: My two cents...

ebrigham said:
At Volkswagen, there is no real 4-seater, GT coupe directly comparable to the Masers - it would slot in quite comforably. 500 HP and AWD sounds pretty enticing – and not a likely scenario while Maserati is owned by Ferrari IMO.

Of course, there is overlap with the QP and that Phaeton thingy they are selling. But Volkswagen will probably have better luck selling a luxury sedan under the Maser name.
You're right, VM don't (yet) have a 4-seater coupe, but the Audi LeMans high-end coupe will slot right into Maserati territory (and since it uses the underpinnings of the Gallardo it should be pretty sweet, even if de-tuned to prevent downgrading from potential Lambo owners).

In this week's UK Autocar mag (http://www.autocarmag.com/News_Article.asp?NA_ID=208351), there's a special report on the new VW range which includes details of a 5-series level car to sit between the Passat and the Phaeton. "Earlier rumours suggesting it may borrow underpinnings from the Maserati Quattroporte have been denied by Autocar's source, who claim they will be too expensive".

If Maserati was taken over by VW, presumably they'd leave behind the V8 - since Ferrari want to use a development of the same engine in the new 360 (420 Modena?) and if Alfa are ever to produce the 8C Evolutione, that's likely going to use the same lump.

I still think the engine is the strongest point of the current Maserati range and it'd be a pity to see it dropped in favour of some modular piece of VW/Audi/Lambo/Seat/Skoda contraption :)

Now, if they wanted to drop a V10 in the 2006 Spyder, I might be interested ;-)

Ewan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
EwanD
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing