Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just bought my first Coupe.. november 2004 car and I love it.. :) dropped the 330 Sport and am slightly missing the Germanbuild quality! ;)

Still the looks sound and experience make up for it..

One thing I would really like help on is smoe vibrations / reverberations that occur between 2400 and 2800 rpm.. hard to describe except that the noise level in the cabin goes up as if something isn't balanced..

Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
513 Posts
David

I have the same issue, ...I noticed it right after my clutch was replaced and failed to recognize if I had the same issue for the 2000 miles I drove the car on the old clutch..

It is very similar to my old BMW where the U Joints go out, a slight rumble on the underside, however with the Maserati, it is not as extreme. I just took it to be more power, the Maser being a sports car...I'd be interested in knowing what others think....My car is at the dealer now and I am going to mention it to them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vibrations at 2500-2800

I am starting to bore myself with this one.. but for those who have been following my issue with vibrations at 2500 rpm. :mad:

Following a replacement / balanced clutch which didn't do the trick, they are today, replacing some engine mounts. This was after I went out with the Maserati technician in the car - he drove - and he agreed that there was definitely something amiss.. his view was that the engine mounts were suspect and that was what was transferring into the car.

We'll see as I will be collecting the car tomorrow afternoon and testing driving for the vibrations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if it was tires and rims, it would be related to road speed, which it is not.. it's apparent only at 2500rpm.. irrespective of what road speed you are doing.. but thanks for the interest!

The road vibrations / noise is pretty minimal./ Although I do find it does transfer alot more road noise especially over small bumps and ridges than other sports cars I have driven.

Once I get rid of this engine related vibe, just to get the smoothest ride, I will be down to the tyre fitters to ensure the wheels are balanced too!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Rich

I have been following your vibration issues as I have a similar problem and am sorry to hear that your clutch re-balance did not fix matters. My car is booked in for 9 September to have a vibration at 1500 - 2000rpm (and a further one at 4000 rpm althought that is not so harsh) looked at as well as a couple of others things (anyone heard of a carbon canister issue which is what the dealer thinks my humming from the fuel tank area could be?).

I have read elsewhere that engine mounts for these cars are not an uncommon problem but find it hard to believe it would not be felt throughout the entire rev range, my car being beautifully smooth between 2000 - 4000 rpm. My own gut feeling is that it is something related to the drivetrain as it is engine rather than speed related, but will let you know what they come up with on the 9th. In the meantime let us know how you get on and good luck!

Carl

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...apparently the engine mounts arrived this afternoon, so as they acn't fix my car for the weekend (bank holiday) they have lent me a QP.. ! It pays to be charming ;) I am interested to see what it's like for a longer drive than running it around the block.. :)

I note your comment about the rev range.. but vibrations are funny things.. resonance is something that is often hard to explain.. so I am accepting that the engine mounts might not be the end solution.. but it was the technicians suggestion.. and after changing the clutch .. the next place is the driveshaft and fly wheel.. and .. at least it's under warranty.. !

I will of course keep you posted ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
had the same problem. A new torque tube solved the problem. apparently, they can bend, leading to vibrations. mine came at 4000rpm. now all is well!

·
Registered
773 Posts
you tube?

waltos, thanks for your post. there are other post made to this site about the very same problem. serious comment here! DO NOT DRIVE YOUR $100M car with vibes. they will shake a lot of unseen parts, and do no good. enough shaking will over time cause major damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rich Hale said:
What on earth is a torque tube? :confused:
connects the engine to the transmission. driveshaft runs inside it. had to replace it twice before the problem was solved. the higher the load, the more noticeable the vibration at a given rpm. mine was most noticeable in 5th at 4000rpm. don't ask how fast i was going...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Torque tube provides a rigid support between the engine/transmission and differential/transaxle to keep the drivetrain in alignment and resist longitudinal compression due to drive torque.

Ferrari's original 275 GTB shortnose (first road cars with IRS) did not have a torque tube and suffered from tooth rattling vibration as dynamic forces caused alignment problems. Series 2 (longnose) 275s featured a torque tube as well as body revisions to improve aerodynamics - so it ain't just a solution for mid century american sedans as wikipedia seems to imply.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay - so bear with me thos ewho have been following the thread.. firstly the guys at HR Owen Maserati in Acton have been very helpful and doing their best - so I think them for that..

However, the bad news is that after replacing and balancing the clutch, and replaicn ghe engine mounts, the vibrations at 2.5k are still there ! :mad: They are less apparent after the new engine mounts.. but still noticable and need to be sorted. The improvement is less vibrations coming through to the cabin.. and generally it feels smoother under hard accelleration .. which must be the new mounts.. can't imagine what was wrong with the old ones.. :confused:

Good news.:) They think that it must be the torque tube (laymans terms, the driveshaft). Which by the way is what I had thought that it was int he first place.. I have dirven enough old british sports cars with driveshafts and u-joints, to know whent he vibrations are coming from the driveshaft.. albeit a torque tube version..

And as just described in the thread, it enables the engine and gearbox to be connected as a one piece unit.. the tube is the colid connection bolted to the back of the engine housing and the front of the gear box. Then down the centre of the tube is a driveshaft, splined at both ends as you would expect, and held in place by three bearings within rubber mounts.

This driveshaft must now be the cause of the vibrations. I.e. it is slightly out fo balance and therefore oscillating at 2.5k..

They are now applying to Maserati to get approval to replace the torque tube with a new and balanced one.

Will keep you posted as usual!

PS.. borrowed a QP on the weekend as mine was still in bits. Nice motah.. a bit American in suspension set up - there's thta unpleasant jelly feel to the ride like most American saloons.. Other than that I very formidable luxury family saloon..and boy does it catch the attnetion of passers by! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
For what its worth, my experience...

My car had a vibration at around 3000 rpm, and I took it in to the dealer.

Turned out to be a loose/misaligned heat shield around the center muffler underneath the car.

- Jon

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well my Coupe GT has been in the shop for over a week now. Was due to get it back on Friday but after they fitted a new clutch problem was only 50% better. Service Manager said that the old clutch was full of drilled holes (they aparently drill a hole to take weight off and balance them) and must have been like that from new. I have only had the car for a few months and it had done 13,000 miles when I got it so previous owners not too observant. They are now looking at the main pulley damper at the front of the engine and are hopefully going to get back tome today with their findings. I did mention torque tube issue but SM thought that this was not an option in my case as the vibration was still there even if the clutch was depressed releasing the drive to the propshaft.

Also there is aparently a discussion ongoing with Maserati Italy about whether the clutch will be covered by the warranty. Can't see that it wouldn't be if it is obvious that it has not been properly balanced but either way I will not be putting my hand in my pocket!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maserati UK (HR Owen Acton) reaplced my clutch in an attempt to resolve the vibration issue.. if that's any help.

As it is still apparent, they have asked me to meet with the Maserati technician again to drive the car.. at this stage as mentioned we believe it is likely to be the torque tube.. and my money has been on that since the beginning.

R.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Who's been in charge at H R Owen? Lee?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, in part (Scuse the pun), and i have been dealing directly with Rupy Ubi (very accomodating) and the technicians have been William, and Attilio.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts