Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '02 coupe, 6 speed, that has been terrific except for an awful vibration and low but loud noise between 4-5k rpm. Before and after, all is well.
Only when car is in gear, and occurs in all gears (at least 1-5!). Dealer says this is "normal". Any ideas? Thanks very much.

·
Registered
513 Posts
the dealers can be so reassuring.....

waltos said:
I've got an '02 coupe, 6 speed, that has been terrific except for an awful vibration and low but loud noise between 4-5k rpm. Before and after, all is well.
Only when car is in gear, and occurs in all gears (at least 1-5!). Dealer says this is "normal". Any ideas? Thanks very much.
I had the same problem after I replaced my clutch at 17,000 miles...it occured mostly in 1st, sometimes 2nd....and at around 3000 RPM.....like an idiot, I never checked it out, only mentioning it to my dealer once, and posting something here....well, not sure if it is related, but I only got 11,000 miles out of that clutch......had the clutch replaced at 27,000 miles and no longer have any vibration...

my suggestion, whether or not I had a problem, have your dealer check it out.....it shouldn;t be happening

·
Registered
773 Posts
vibrator

spelling is the wrong application, but a clutch is balanced with the application of weights and they can some times fall off, continue to drive and you will do a lot of damage to drive line quickly !!$$$$$

·
Registered
203 Posts
I too have an '02 Coupe and also have the vibration, only at 4,000 rpm. Mine is not accompanied by much of a noise, though. I have 30k miles on my original clutch, so I don't think that's the answer, though I could be wrong. I'm not sure the vibration would be so rpm-specific if it was a clutch issue. If it were the clutch I would think, like a tire out of balance, that it would gradually get worse with increase in the rpm. This is more of an on or off sensation, like something turns on at 4k rpm. It almost sounds/feels like a weird exhaust harmonic where something begins to vibrate. Anyway, I think I mentioned it to my dealer when I initially purchased my car, but it nevertheless remains. I just got used to it. Hasn't gotten worse, maybe a little better since the Eurotek and Tubi upgrades.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One reason of vibrations at certain rpm may be the transaxle design. The cardan shaft rotates at high rpm as it is directly connected to the crank shaft. Therefore it is more susceptible to vibrations caused by slightl unbalanced masses in the power train.
Bert

·
Registered
20 Posts
same 4k vibration

I too have the 4-5 k RPM vibration./noise. It is always present at those rpms. My car is a GT with 17k miles.

I now am wondering if this is normal as lots of people seem to have it???

·
Registered
173 Posts
My car is 02 GT with 29k miles. I do not feel any abnormal vibration and noise at that rpm range. If it has loud noise, something must be wrong.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have recently purchased an '03 Coupe GT and been following some of the threads on this board which are very helpful. I too have a vibration but only at 1500-2000 RPM and it is felt both in gear and in neutral through the steering wheel. Whilst not so strong to be a major concern I nevertheless described the problem to my dealer who then went on to describe the symptoms far more comprehensively than I had done and said that this is "normal". Clearly this is something he is aware of and although he said that it is not a problem if I wanted to have it checked out to drop the car in but he didn't think it needed it. Have got an extended warranty so might just do that for peace of mind. Otherwise am enjoying the ride!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know what this noise is!!!

I have an 06 GS and the noise is coming from the gear box. The dealer replaced my gearbox at 2000 miles. Now its running beautifully, only with the occasional noise hear and there. These cars are built after race application with the gear box in the rear, the good side, the balanced handling, the bad side, extra noise. The earlier models dont have as much insulation around them as the later cars.

All this info came from a factory guy who rode with me after they replaced my gear box. He says a lot of the o2 and o3 models will have this it is justthe gears. IF they put the gear box next to the engine, the noise from the engine would drown out the gear box noise, but then we wouldnt have that crisp handling characteristic of the maserati

06 Black GS
04 E55 Sedan
05 E55 Wagon

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am not sure that this is the same thing, as it is not so much a noise but a vibration that can be felt through the whole car but particularly the steering wheel. The vibration I experience can be felt in gear and in neutral which would suggest it is not the gearbox but maybe the clutch/flywheel? I do agree that the gearbox is both noisy and relatively clunky certainly in comparison to my old M5.

On the warranty front, I live in London so we get the benefit of a Maserati extended warranty when purchasing from a dealer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Vibrations at 2500-2800

As mentioned on this board before I get the vibrations which are rpm specific in every gear and they appear between 2500and 2800 rpm.. I am reasonably convinced that the vibrations are related ot clutch balancing as the logic indicates it has to be engine speed and not road speed (Which would indicate things like tyres or wheels out of balance).

So as this is a 04 car with 16k miles on the clock it has a the original clutch which the dealer mechanic told me would mean that it could not be imbalanced.. (it's possible to me that they could have fitted it incorrectly in the first factory :rolleyes: ). To convince myself, I tried another CC 04 (care of the HR Owen guys in London) and found it had vibrations but virtually imperceptible and certainly not a problem.. so this convinced me that the clutch would need to be re-balanced.

I am not happy that with a car of this value and quality is vibrating that much and what's more it vibrates the already fragile build qulaity :mad: of the interior so that other rattles appear!

It is going in on 3rd July for various rattles and things to be fixed and most importantly the vibrations to be fixed.. will let you know..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Rich

I tend to agree with you and as my car is still on its original clutch (only 13,500 miles when I bought it a few weeks ago) suspect that it might have been incorrectly balanced at the factory. As the dealer I purchsed from is a couple of hours away (Meridien in Lyndhurst) and I have made them aware of the issue it would be good to know what the exact problem is before taking a trip down there and it sounds like you have a very similar issue. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

·
Registered
773 Posts
good vib!

drive train should have NO! vibs bad sign folks. look out, and do not let dealer off hook. that problem is really doing BAD things to your drive line. any one want further info, call any time afterthis coming wed 8596191441

·
Registered
94 Posts
Could it also be...

I would have the driveshaft balance checked also, along with any driveshaft bearings.
I am not familiar with the car specifically,(are there balancing weights on the driveshaft that may have been "spun" off?/or could a bearing have failed?) but it seems to me that either of those may be the culprit.
....just a late night's musing

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had my clutch replaced at 18,500/92% worn and I too noticed a vibration above 4,000 rpms. The tubi wasnt anywhere close to what is sounded like before the service. It was not good and family noticed as well before I even said anything.

I took it back the next day and told them to keep it until its fixed.

Also, they tightened the exhaust clamps. can that effect the sound on the exhaust? no right?

·
Registered
455 Posts
bundas said:
drive train should have NO! vibs bad sign folks. look out, and do not let dealer off hook. that problem is really doing BAD things to your drive line. any one want further info, call any time afterthis coming wed 8596191441

I am having my car repaired for this issue right now. bundas' postis very important.

After a clutch replacement, if you have any vibration noises or your car doesnt feel/sound right, immediatly take it back. I would even suggest towing it back if you reach home.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Vibrations at 2500-2800 resolved mostly

Guys, good news is that I got my baby back. I had sent it in fo rvarious squeaks and rattles and particularly the vibrations when driving at the rev range mentioned, which I had deduced must be the clutch.

They replaced the clutch for me under warranty and the old vibrations are mostly gone. There are some mild vibes still but barely perceptible and definitely okay to live with. :D

I have to say that the new clutch changes much better than the old one :) and feels quicker in normal mode. Probably because it hasn't been abused.. whilst I didn't abuse it It hin the previous owner didn't care too much.

Also I recently had a wierd experience when I had some airport parking guys park the car for me. When I came back and tried to take off, the clutch bit so hard it stalled. It did this for at least a day - before it strangely got better until it resolved itself.. think the parking guys must have ridden it up a slope in traffic (there's one at Heathrow), cauising a glaze to crate the vicous bite, which subsequently wore off. :confused:

hope it helps.. !

·
Registered
773 Posts
vibs

rich, i am concerned about your feel for vibs. car had a lot of miles piled on before any thing was done to correct the problem. your poor baby was mistreated at parking lot. fulcrum for clutch is a pityfull little peice about as small round as small pen, my guess is that it experienced some unwanted abuse, pay attion to vibs i would not be happy with vibs, they have already done unseen damage

1 - 20 of 33 Posts