Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some new center vents for my 2003 CC. Getting the infamous "Ferrari" sticky mess on them. Wonder why they insist on using this inferior material? Anyway - just wanted to confirm with someone who has done this that the vents just pull straight out before I put too much force on them (been working out - LOL). I think I read this somewhere here but can't find now - sorry if I am being repetitive. Cheers!

·
Registered
116 Posts
vents

There are 3 tabs on the vents. A small screwdriver can be used to lift the tabs for their removal.I've read oven cleaner has worked magic on cleanup. Or new vents can be had at Trident Parts..
http://www.trident-parts.com/382300802.html
http://www.trident-parts.com/382300800.html

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did order them from Trident parts so was just trying to figure out how to remove them without causing any damage. I will look for the tabs and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Getting the infamous "Ferrari" sticky mess on them. Wonder why they insist on using this inferior material?
I've heard this before. What exactly is the 'sticky mess' and what causes it. I haven't seen it yet on my '06 but have been careful with cleaning products in case that's the cause.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From cruising the Ferrari site it appears to be substandard coating on the plastic parts that are affected by air pollutants, finger grease, cleaning materials etc. It is very common on Ferraris and almost all Ferraris seem to be affected sooner or later. There is even a company that specilizes in refurbishing the very expensive Ferrari parts:

www.stickynomore.com

If you have the patience some owners do it themselves with various degree of success. Here is one thread with some suggestions:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7938

As for me, as long as it is under $100 I think I will opt for replacing. Cheers!

·
Registered
265 Posts
vents

The outer vents just pull out with the tabs. To remove the inner vents one must remove part of the dash board.

·
Registered
116 Posts
inner vents

Mazzerman you are right about the dash if you're changing the "chrome rings" in addition to the vents. But to change just the vents (or to clean them) you needn't pull the dash.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mazzerman you are right about the dash if you're changing the "chrome rings" in addition to the vents. But to change just the vents (or to clean them) you needn't pull the dash.
Got any advice on getting the clock out? I need to replace its backlight.

·
Registered
265 Posts
center chrome rings

Yes, you are correct. I did not clarify enough. Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Success! Easier than I had imagined. When you get the new ones you will see the "tabs" and how to bend them back in essence until they break with a small screwdriver. The vent slips right out and then the new one snaps right in - less than a minute. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
There is a German tuner that sells them but can't figure out the prices nor whether they are real CF or just pretend ones (you know, with a CF-looking film on it).

·
Registered
58 Posts
AC vent photos

I am looking to replace my sticky ac vents in my 04 coupe.
I would like to see some photos indicating the location of the tabs allowing for removal of the vents...

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
dave

·
Registered
116 Posts
3 tabs

With a flashlight look inside each vent.. On the vent wall you will notice the tabs 120 degrees apart.. Use a tiny flat-head screwdriver to lift tabs.If you lift too hard,the tab will break.If you don't want to break the tab you may be able to shim the tab with something .. another screwdriver, a piece of paper, a matchstick.. I think I recall needing to lift the 3 tabs simultaneously.Not complicated at all.If you're breaking the tabs, even easier !! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
AC vents
from what I have read, it sounds like removal of the two round center ac vents is different from the two side, round ac vents.

can anyone confirm this? I need to remove all four - since they are all sticky.

Alternatively, would a second option be using Qtips with goof off while the vent is still installed?

thanks
dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
ok... Does anybody have photos of the vents out of the dash or a schematic showing an exploded view of the plastic tabs holding the vents in place?

I'll be attempting removal on Saturday and would like to have as much info as possible before i proceed.

please email photos if you have them - [email protected]
dave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts