·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the recent QP sales on here

·
Registered
244 Posts
Saw the one owner 2006 QP-V on 19's that sold May 28th for $26,750. Furious bidding. What struck me was: no barked corners for the rear centre console (almost impossible to see that), no barked driver's side b-pillar trim, included two fobs and owners manual; obviously well-loved. I also I see 6mt 4200 Coupé's sell for decent $... Who knows, older Masers may be on an upswing...

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced my B-pillar trim only to have it destroyed by shop guys. It's extremely fragile. I got a decent used trim last time for cheap, I think I might get a brand new piece while they are still around and cover it with plastic tape.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I cringe with the notion of sending a car to a shop. I agree, some trim pieces are ultra fragile... 🙁.

Incidentally, the other thing I noticed on that referenced QP-V was the M/A button. Not smudged. The reason this is interesting to me is that that button should be the most "used" button on the dash! Default is "automatic". IMHO properly driven QP-V's... that button should be pushed for every drive... into "manual". But that's good, in the case of this car. I say this because although it's hard on the clutch, what it isn't hard on is the transaxle. QP-V's that are mostly driven in auto will very likely enjoy long lives out of their transaxles... Yes clutches co$t... But transaxles cost more...

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would Auto mode be easier on the transaxle? Honestly I've spent a lot of time in my car using Auto and Manual modes, I drove it almost entirely in Auto mode for a year. The main thing I didn't like about it was that it picks too high of a gear so the engine RPM is too low, for cruising. That F-136 engine was designed for sports cars, not for lugging a sedan around at 2000 RPM. That's asking for variator problems, doing that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Eh, I don't think so. There have been a few exceptions, but they were precisely that: exceptions to the norm. Realistically, you can get a clean, relatively low-mileage DuoSelect Quattroporte for no more than $20k. If it's a ZF model, it'll be slightly more — nothing major. The only thing I can see happening is 4.7L ZF models (particularly those from 2011 and 2012) going up slightly in value, as well as any exceptionally clean and low-mileage model selling for higher-than-average prices. Low-mileage models are common, but, as with everything, they'll eventually become more scarce as the years ago by.

Still, these —especially the DuoSelect models — are heavily depreciated cars, and the majority of people still do not want them. Although these cars have had much more exposure on YouTube as of lately (which is typically the kiss of death for most hidden gems), they are still not well liked. By the way, consider that three different, clean DuoSelect examples recently each sold for no more than $15k, on BaT.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Saw the one owner 2006 QP-V on 19's that sold May 28th for $26,750. Furious bidding. What struck me was: no barked corners for the rear centre console (almost impossible to see that), no barked driver's side b-pillar trim, included two fobs and owners manual; obviously well-loved. I also I see 6mt 4200 Coupé's sell for decent $... Who knows, older Masers may be on an upswing...
I've seen similarly clean examples sell for no more than $20k, which seems more realistic. Crazy what mileage does to the value, too: a DuoSelect with 50k+ miles can now be had for as little as $10k. I wonder if those bidding such high dollar amounts on these are perhaps mistaken about these cars; or, maybe they cannot find any local listings, and so the best thing they can do is use BaT(?). I don't think the value of these cars is shooting up, and I actually think it would be a shame if exceptions to the norm were to effectively cause the car's perceived value to soar. Unique thing about the Quattroporte is that it's a hidden gem that most people do not wish to discover; thus, it has been kept a bargain.

5,381 Posts
Why would Auto mode be easier on the transaxle? Honestly I've spent a lot of time in my car using Auto and Manual modes, I drove it almost entirely in Auto mode for a year. The main thing I didn't like about it was that it picks too high of a gear so the engine RPM is too low, for cruising. That F-136 engine was designed for sports cars, not for lugging a sedan around at 2000 RPM. That's asking for variator problems, doing that.
Are we back to that internet myth that running the engine at 2k ruins the variators? :rolleyes: That is just BS...J

Reactions: Catmanv2

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eh, I don't think so. There have been a few exceptions, but they were precisely that: exceptions to the norm. Realistically, you can get a clean, relatively low-mileage DuoSelect Quattroporte for no more than $20k. If it's a ZF model, it'll be slightly more — nothing major. The only thing I can see happening is 4.7L ZF models (particularly those from 2011 and 2012) going up slightly in value, as well as any exceptionally clean and low-mileage model selling for higher-than-average prices. Low-mileage models are common, but, as with everything, they'll eventually become more scarce as the years ago by.

Still, these —especially the DuoSelect models — are heavily depreciated cars, and the majority of people still do not want them. Although these cars have had much more exposure on YouTube as of lately (which is typically the kiss of death for most hidden gems), they are still not well liked. By the way, consider that three different, clean DuoSelect examples recently each sold for no more than $15k, on BaT.
I had thought perhaps the prices were up because of the generally soaring values of used cars these days. A whole variety of used cars are currently selling for above their original stickers, and in some case far above. There was one case reported in the news of a used pickup truck selling for $48K, despite having been only $36K brand new. We're talking about ordinary cars.

5,381 Posts
It is stupid what people are paying...It won't last...If you have a car of value then sell it...I'm seeing crazy stuff these days...J

Reactions: MRQP

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had thought perhaps the prices were up because of the generally soaring values of used cars these days. A whole variety of used cars are currently selling for above their original stickers, and in some case far above. There was one case reported in the news of a used pickup truck selling for $48K, despite having been only $36K brand new. We're talking about ordinary cars.
Used car prices have been on a steady rise; and, in addition, there's been lots of buying of interesting and exotic cars, ever since the pandemic. The Quattroporte, however, is not ordinary car, and most people don't know what it is / don't like what it is. You should see the wonderful examples going for under $20k or less.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Used car prices have been on a steady rise; and, in addition, there's been lots of buying of interesting and exotic cars, ever since the pandemic. The Quattroporte, however, is not ordinary car, and most people don't know what it is / don't like what it is. You should see the wonderful examples going for under $20k or less.
Show me some in California, I'd like to see.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is stupid what people are paying...It won't last...If you have a car of value then sell it...I'm seeing crazy stuff these days...J
Yeah, nobody should be paying that much for a DuoSelect Quattroporte, depending on their location. I've seen very clean U.S. examples go for what they should go for, which is $20k or less. In fact, late last year, I saw an 18,000-mile 2006 Quattroporte sell for under $18k; it was a buy-it-now price.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For certainty, the differences would NOT be super-big (i.e. by way of longevity); but the reason I say that the transaxle internals would be expected to last longer in Auto mode (i.e. principally the synchronizer-units would be expected to last longer) is that we need to realize like any manual transmission / transaxle - when upshifted at lower rpm's-in-gear, the "duty" that the synchronizer has to perform - is of a lesser scale. The wear is less, therefore. This is particularly evident when the 'box is cold. Any manual transmission - when cold - responds "sympathetically" by way of shift-feel, relative lack of gravelly-feel, when upshifted at low roadspeed-in-gear (i.e. lower rpm's) versus at higher roadspeed-in-gear / rpm's. Every last one I have driven. When it feels gravelly, wear of the gear's dog-teeth, the synchro sleeve's leading-edge teeth is occurring. When butter-smooth, the synchro rings themselves are wearing a bit, but the synchro dog-teeth / synchro sleeve dog teeth are NOT. This also is very, very evident on downshifting. The longer the downshift is delayed when you are slowing down then the easier it is on the synchro when the shift is made. For the QP-V particularly, though, you do not want to go under 1800 rpm's on the slowing-down circumstance, as at 1800 rpm's and lower, the clutch begins to release... slippage occurs, clutch wear occurs.

I am saying that in Automatic mode, shifts are most often made on accelerating - at a lower rpm than most drivers would manually shift. I would wager that in Auto mode, on a slow-down / coast-down, downshifts are delayed to a later point...than if the car is driven in manual mode, as well. Downshift "artists", undoubtedly due to the wonderful rev-matching sounds, would be practicing their "craft" at higher rpm's... Don't you agree?

I attach a couple of graphics, related to the above comments.

I could easily be wrong here; comments welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jason I live in Visalia and own a Maserati do you know of any club or get together a for Maserati owners?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts