Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry guys, don't mean to bug you down by approaching the subject of "costs", for me is just a curiosity really...

I've bought my Spyder in the beginning of the year for a price below market value... so I was obviously expecting the car to need some work etc. eventually by now I've reached what was back then an avg market value for the car, not too bad I would say 'cause now at least I know certain things have been done to the car in a certain way...

Now my question is... what is the actual cost for these cars (purchase price + running costs)? example: I bought my car for 31K USD and so far spent enough to bring the total to 42K, which is slightly above it's market value here (including taxes, insurance etc etc). Would this ratio be any better with a newer car or the total cost just gets higher and higher as the car gets older? talking in terms of bang for the buck here... eventually this will tell us when it's best to buy and how long to keep a car like this...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Enrico...

I don't know what the math is... But I think you can never lose if you buy a two year old car with cash. But especially with exotics and hi-end luxury.

I heard (think) that as soon as a new car goes off the lot it deprciates 20% or so.

Add to that, most exotic and luxury owners baby their car - low miles, garage kept.

Then you have a deal and a half.

Gene

·
5,887 Posts
talking in terms of bang for the buck here... eventually this will tell us when it's best to buy and how long to keep a car like this...
Speaking realistically, there is no "good" time to buy a car like a Maserati. They all depreciate, they all have maintenance expense, et al. If you are looking for one with the lowest overall insurance costs (including depreciation), a 2004 or newer Coupe should be a good buy when they are selling for $10K. Sadly, that day will be sooner than any of us will like :mad:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you are worried about depreciation or maintenance expenses then a Maserati is probably the wrong car to buy.

If you focus on enjoying the car then you can justify the costs in terms of the intangible value of your smile!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) just to make it more clear... I'm not really worried about anything (though maybe I should :D ). Even if it's 100% loss on the balance sheet so far I don't mind what I've paid...

Keeping aside costs like insurance, taxes (where applicable) and gas (all of these will affect the costs greatly but too variable), what it comes down to is: purchase price, maintenance and depreciation.

Factoring all this in so far I had to pay something like 10k for enjoying my Spyder (purchase price + maintenance - resale value). My question is what is the best tactic to ensure your best chances to keep this particular figure low (regardless of the other ones)? is it ti buy new? buy a 2 year old very low mileage car?

I think I took a little bit (HAHHAHA) of a gamble with the tactic I used (which was to buy below market value...) since I was able to manage it only thank to a great indy mechanic (and eurospares...) which might not always be available (actually local FM bought his garage to get him out of the market... bastards).

No problem with paying for playing here, it's just a matter of knowing what's the cost for a ride and if the same ride can come cheaper ;)

cheers,

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I don't think there is a hard and fast "best" option out there. It depends on many variables.

One may say the best deals are found on repo cars put at auction but you may end up getting a lemon. A two-year old low mileage car, with an off colour, may be a great price but one thing goes bang after a while, and if you're without a warranty, you are going to lose your shirt.

Who knows?!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
One thing for sure, buying new is not a good deal, financially speaking. But being able to choose every detail on your car and even go to the factory to see it being finished is priceless...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
first year depreciation is the highest (as in most other cars). if somehow you can get a low mileage first year car, or a year end rebate car, that would be a good deal. but as niteroi pointed out, buying new let you spec your maserati to your likings.

one of the things you should keep in mind is just to enjoy the maserati.
when i go on a vacation or spend money on a luxury item, i don't nickle and dime. you get pissed by the $10 bottle water or whatever luxury surcharges on the way, but you really shouldn't let it ruin your enjoyment of the event.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
absolutely

:) absolutely agree on the enjoyment!
just got my Maserati back from service: replaced a completely destryed and clogged CAT. now runs and purrs like real cat :D

But again same result could have cost me anywhere between 900 USD (what I paid) to 2000... Now I enjoy the ride and also the fact that I have spared 1100 for the next fix ;)

I think in all honesty these considerations have nothing to do with being willing or not willing to spend money... same goes for holidays, things need to be worth their price tag, what ever the price is...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts