Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen an amazing QP 2010 GTS with short mileage and would like to have some opinions regarding the expected drop in value when new model is appearing (probably sooner than later)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well, you would anticipate that once the new QP comes on the market, all other QPs will experience an additional drop in value, similar to the introduction of each new model year. However, given the fact the new QP will be a redesign of the current model, you might expect all existing QPs to experience an even greater value loss as customers flock to the new QP. That assumes that the new QP is viewed as a desirable upgrade to the current model. If not, then maybe nostalgic QP lovers flock back to the current model. That's probably wishful thinking but how Maserati makes this transition from niche car marker to a low production maker will make a differnce.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a QP GT Sport and I cant believe how much the value on these cars drop and drop everyday. It's crazy to see a $130k plus car now go from $30k and up. Now that's insane. I just wonder if these cars values drop so much from it's sticker price are they really worth all that money brand new??

·
Registered
94 Posts
why do these cars drop so much in value? especially if they're such high end cars

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
That's pretty simple, they are overpriced when purchased new.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The MSRP is inflated. Most new QPs sell $20K+ below MSRP. A quick glance at used car prices show 2010 Panamera Turbos at $120K from $155K new, whilst 2010 QPs are around 90K from 115K new...a similar drop?

·
Registered
132 Posts
All expensive new cars drop drastically because those that can afford them buy new, those that cannot also cannot afford to pay $80K or so, they want to buy a $130K car for around $50K. But this is true in a smaller way even on cheap cars......why pay $25K for a low mileage, like new $32K car, just buy new, unless you can only afford $20K.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mercedes and BMW seem to hold their value though in the blue book

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
No cars hold real value. Cars are the absolute worse investment if you can even call it that. Don't even think about getting your money back without a 20-40 pct loss over the course of a few years and that's wishful thinking! I too bought my QP new and regret it big time after seeing how it dropped. I have to take it to the grave and I'm happy to do so!

·
Registered
94 Posts
As long as your happy with an investment like that then take it downnn. When I get my Maserati I'll be more than happy to take it to the grave with me

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mercedes and BMW seem to hold their value though in the blue book
That is not right either. If you look at actual sales prices and auction results, the German cars depreciate steeply, especially the cars that sticker north of $100k. Like these guys said, luxury cars, especially bespoke vehicles, take a huge hit because people that buy them new order them the way they want, and most likely will order the next one the same way. Add in the fact that many people spec cars out with their personal taste, and when they trade it in, all the sudden the red QP with the Avorio interior with red piping and seat inserts doesn't sell real well second hand.

Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, you would anticipate that once the new QP comes on the market, all other QPs will experience an additional drop in value, similar to the introduction of each new model year. However, given the fact the new QP will be a redesign of the current model, you might expect all existing QPs to experience an even greater value loss as customers flock to the new QP. That assumes that the new QP is viewed as a desirable upgrade to the current model. If not, then maybe nostalgic QP lovers flock back to the current model. That's probably wishful thinking but how Maserati makes this transition from niche car marker to a low production maker will make a differnce.
Thanks for all comments

I guess when buying one of these cars there is a lot of passion and less of rationale.

Otherwise how somebody can be interested in paying a very significant amount of money (unfortunately these cars seem to be way more expensive in Europe than in US) for a second hand when a new model is almost here.

Below a link to the Italian magasine Quattroruote where some pictures on the new version appear in the printed version.

Flash - Quattroruote di novembre è in edicola - Quattroruote

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have seen an amazing QP 2010 GTS with short mileage and would like to have some opinions regarding the expected drop in value when new model is appearing (probably sooner than later)

Thanks
It's not the grey on in Seattle is it??
Anyways I spoke with one of the nice salespersons there and asked him basically the same question. He stated that the new models are at least two years out, late Autumn of 2013.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. You're obviously in Europa!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts