Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was messing around with the red valet key, and could not get it to unlock the door by pressing the black button.
The key DOES fit in the ignition, and start the car.

Should the black button unlock the door?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I was messing around with the red valet key, and could not get it to unlock the door by pressing the black button.
The key DOES fot in the ignition, and start the car.

Should the black button unlock the door?
Yes. It should act just like the main key. Sometimes the keys either get out of synch or the the batteries die.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put new batteries in it, and the black button will not unlock the car.

The manual mentioned double clicking the button to resync it, but this seems to have had no effect.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had this problem and my dealer showed me some voodoo magic that you can do. I'm ready to be corrected but if you take the working key and, sitting in the drivers seat, use the button lock and unlock the car lots of times and after quite a few (10??) the dashboard display will change (open padlock ??) to show that the car is now ready to receive the signal from your valet key - just press it once and you should be set. Sorry I'm being less than 100% authoritative - but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Alcoholzeimers :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had this problem and my dealer showed me some voodoo magic that you can do. I'm ready to be corrected but if you take the working key and, sitting in the drivers seat, use the button lock and unlock the car lots of times and after quite a few (10??) the dashboard display will change (open padlock ??) to show that the car is now ready to receive the signal from your valet key - just press it once and you should be set. Sorry I'm being less than 100% authoritative - but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Alcoholzeimers :D
The method above did not work to reset the key, but was very effective at setting off the car alam at 7:30 am :D

I am assuming that I did something wrong here, or the procedure is missing some detail.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My aplologies to your neighbors, but you can only blame yourself for taking a suggestion from a senile alcoholic dog.

Seriously, I'll go through this procedure tonight and see if I can give you better directions - I'm thinking the door has to be shut or a 20 year old virgin sacrificed ... Maserati loves complexity.

Gavin

·
Registered
82 Posts
OK. Sit in your car and try not to move a lot...

Lock and unlock the car quite a few times. Initially each time you press the button the indicator lights will flash and the red alarm light will come on. Eventually one of these presses will not make the indicators flash and just the alarm light will come on. The car is now in learn mode. While in this learn mode you must click all the keys that you want the car to respond to, otherwise you'll be in the same situation again - but with one of your blue keys.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Each time you unlock the car your cc pump is primed? And if you do it many times in succession will it not affect the cc pump/fuel pump/relay? I am confused and would worry about diabling the car and an expensive trip to dealer as I dont have the CODE.

the 4200 is supplied with 2 keys in UK and new key plus programming costs about £400.(2 CODES one for the ignition/alarm and the other for the radio NIT unit.

The 3200gt with boomerang lights is supplied witha RED KEY and this is expensive £1000 - I understand that a new ignition unit/module plus keys plus programming is requiered.

Either way the dealer is the winner here methinks!

Brits chime in please-excuse the pun.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It worked!

What a great post! I only had one blue key in which the alarm / keyless entry / trunk buttons worked.

The dealer told me I had to buy new keys (one blue and the red valet) at about $300 a pop!

I searched old posts and found this. I got it to work the first time. Saved me literally hundreds of dollars! :2thumbsup:

I owe Gavin01 a drink! :cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts

Lock and unlock the car quite a few times. Initially each time you press the button the indicator lights will flash and the red alarm light will come on. Eventually one of these presses will not make the indicators flash and just the alarm light will come on. The car is now in learn mode. While in this learn mode you must click all the keys that you want the car to respond to, otherwise you'll be in the same situation again - but with one of your blue keys.
Worked perfectly for me last night, though I stood outside of the car rather than trying not to move in the driver's seat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Reprogramming Keys

Just bought a 2002 Coupe with under 40K. Nice shape and thrilled to drive it! The valet key (red) worked but the main blue key did not. Batteries were changed still no good. I followed the instructions below to reprogram my blue key and it worked like a charm.

Thanks much!!: Tombo:

Dragonfire

·
Registered
89 Posts
wait a minute...what's all this talk about a red valet key? does this not come with a QP? i got mine used, with only two blue keys. i wondered why it would not have a valet key. anybody with a QP have a red key? are they sold separately? how do they differ from the blue key? do they limit top speed? thanks!

·
Registered
583 Posts
wait a minute...what's all this talk about a red valet key? does this not come with a QP? i got mine used, with only two blue keys. i wondered why it would not have a valet key. anybody with a QP have a red key? are they sold separately? how do they differ from the blue key? do they limit top speed? thanks!
It doesn't unlock the glovebox, the trunk, nor does it work to manually unlock the driver's door. Everything else is exactly the same function as the blue key. All the cars come with one when new but it seems a majority of them get lost by the second owner. You can get a new one from the dealer for like $300.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does the key programming trick work for Quattroporte or just Coupes/4200s? Can I program a new Blue key? I got the new key from my shop but he didn't have time to program it (I showed up just as they closed.) I'm far enough from the shop that it isn't trivial for me to get there.

Mechanic said that the Quattroporte key can't be programmed without a $45K tool from the factory.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i never got a red valet key when i got my car couple of days ago....
It really doesn't gain you much. It won't manually-unlock the doors or the glove box, and that's about it. Unlike some cars, it doesn't put the engine/transmission in "valet/reduced power" mode. A normal key will unlock the glove box, which will allow access to the trunk too, so just don't valet the car with anything you're afraid might get stolen (or in some peoples' opinions - don't valet the car, full stop ;) ).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the key programming trick work for Quattroporte or just Coupes/4200s? Can I program a new Blue key? I got the new key from my shop but he didn't have time to program it (I showed up just as they closed.) I'm far enough from the shop that it isn't trivial for me to get there.

Mechanic said that the Quattroporte key can't be programmed without a $45K tool from the factory.
You can program Quattroporte 2003-2006 new original key (immo and alarm) using Alfa 147 or Alfa GT diagnostic tools, cause it is almost the same control unit. Immo will work immediately after programming but alarm system (doors, trunk) will work after reconnect the battery. Checked with few cars. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts