Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Given the ever higher level of taxation and the spiralling cost of petrol, the chase of the ever more power is a bit counterintuitive. I love cars and fast powerful cars in particular, but I can't help feeling like the car companies are like the orchestra on the Titanic: playing music whilst the boat is sinking.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Given the ever higher level of taxation and the spiralling cost of petrol, the chase of the ever more power is a bit counterintuitive.
And yet the engines do get bigger and the buyers are there with $ to purchase them.

Go figure. Look at Bentley!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also love fast, powerful cars. But, one day, someone is going to consume the last drop of oil on earth, when that day comes, I'm afraid that we will hear Clarkson saying, "What do we do now?" ;)

Well, I guess we'll see cars like Raptor more in the near future, but in the meantime, do we enjoy while it last, or do we join Greenpeace?

Tough call...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
478 Posts
A colleague of mine constantly muses about retrofitting his 07 XKR with a full electric kit, a couple are available that I know of that make the car go fast. Have thought briefly about what it would take to turn a Maserati electric, but haven't gotten too far.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Electricty-powered cars are not all that environmentally friendly though :(

Hydrogen is the technology that will ultimately need to be developed.

Oh well, I am off for a drive tonight :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
No they're not. The twin demons of battery manufacture and disposal (environmental), and pulling charge from the grid (carbon). Grid impact is variable but not locally controllable (nuclear, wind if available, vice coal or gas). But that opens the nuclear debate.

Meanwhile, have a great drive! I won't see my car or my wife for another week :cool:

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
No they're not. The twin demons of battery manufacture and disposal (environmental), and pulling charge from the grid (carbon). Grid impact is variable but not locally controllable (nuclear, wind if available, vice coal or gas). But that opens the nuclear debate.

Meanwhile, have a great drive! I won't see my car or my wife for another week :cool:
Actually, power transfer remains one of the bigger challenges, as evidenced by what Tesla had to go through with their transmission woes.

Nuclear and offshore wind + EVs might be a pretty sweet combo.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm doing some of the first two (nuke and wind) right now, the EV part is further down the line, but part of the equation as you say. Gets very interesting when we look at commercial fleet/depot management, fuel costs, carbon-burdened fuel surcharges and other long-term regulatory costs of carbon.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not going to happen....

Quote:
" also love fast, powerful cars. But, one day, someone is going to consume the last drop of oil on earth, when that day comes, I'm afraid that we will hear Clarkson saying, "What do we do now?" "

The earth continually produces oil as part of the carbon cycle. The petro companies have perpetuated the lie that it comes from Dinos but Indian, Soviet and American scientists have proven that to be complete B.S. to the point that they can now take trash, yes urban trash from the land fill, and produce gasoline... Now the earth may not keep up with the demand, of the global economy, we should have kept it to ourselves, but the earth will continue to produce crude for eternity as long as the sun shines...

We have plenty of this stuff here in the states to make Gasoline from...

http://www.smm.org/buzz/blog/making_fuel_from_trash

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/what_if_you_could_make_gasoline_from_garbage/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.