Maserati Forum banner

V8 Vantage v.s. CC/GS

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Briik 
#1 ·
What do you guys think of Aston Martin V8 v.s. Maserati CC/GS?

From the stats and test drive. They seem very comparable. Any thoughts or comments?

#3 ·
I agree that our current Maser's have the edge on the AMV8, but here is my dilemma.
I MUST have a convertible. I would replace my current Spyder with another Maser if
they gave me the chance. However, they have essentially discontinued making convertibles,
and they don't offer the F1 style tranny anymore either. Even if I wanted a coupe, I don't
think the new Maser is competitive with the AMV8. It seems to be targetting a different class of
customer.
My only option, in the same general price range, is a AMV8 convertible with sportshift. It
isn't quite as close to a sports car as the Maser, but it is quite a bit better than a Jag.
M!'s writeup is pretty accurate. You can 'fix' the sound by removing the fuse that keeps the
baffles closed at lower rpm if you want sound all the time. The only knock I see on the AM is that
it is underpowered for it's price range, although probably not underpowered for anything I would
ever need, even track days.
If anyone has any other recommendations for something to replace the
Maser Spyder, please speak up.

Here are my 'requirements':
- Convertible
- F1 tranny (I've just fallen in love with this on my Maser.)
- Suitable for track days (the AM may be an issue here, because some clubs
require roll bars and the AM's roll bars only pop up when the sensors
detect roll over. You can't apparently just pop them up yourself when
you want to)
- Suitable for daily driving (I have 41K miles on my 2003 Maser)
- Enough trunk for at least one set of golf clubs (although I would forego
this if a dealer somewhere would sell me an F430 at MSRP!)

MikeA

#8 ·
Hello Mike
Boy i love these engrossments!!!!
What spider/roadster should i buy?????????
I recall the days (pre mariagge, kids, etc) when the only obstacle on my way to the car dealers is the top amount of the money i could spend!
Glorious days!!
Well Mike IMO if your pocket affords her, only one option
PORSCHE 911 997 TIPTRONIC
2, 2S, 4, 4S or Turbo (MY GOD!!!!) IS THE ULTIMATE ALL AROUND CAR
Full speed, great, no sorry, ultimate handling, ultimate brakes, looks, renewed TIPTRONIC gearbox, (faster than the manual), BULLETPROOF reliability, simplicity, everyday usage with minimum (for the class) cost, descent luggage compartment, great equipment.
What elsr do you need

#9 ·
i guess he said F1 transmission and not automatic.
when is porsche coming out with their dual clutch transmission?

porsches... hmm.. they make 30,000 911's a year...
maserati makes 3,000. aston makes 2-3,000.

it's very boring looking at a 911.

#10 ·
i guess he said F1 transmission and not automatic.
when is porsche coming out with their dual clutch transmission?

porsches... hmm.. they make 30,000 911's a year...
maserati makes 3,000. aston makes 2-3,000.

it's very boring looking at a 911.
True.... Porchse's gearbox is auto and yes it is not a rare image on the streets.
But no Maser spider or Aston is equal or even close to a 911-997. 911 is one level above them, and by the way how many TURBOs have you seen? 30000 or maybe.... a couple?
check out this video about aston's gearbox, and notice it is a Vanquish S. The top car of Aston:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zhRnN9TChw
Cheers
PaNoS

#4 ·
from what i read, the V8 Roadster's handling is slightly tuned differently than the V8 Vantage, to fit the different customer profiles.

the upcoming E92 M3 convertible would fit your requirements. not sure about the roll bars.
as well, if they make the Alfa 8C spyder ;) but would you use that as a daily driver...

#5 ·
M!
Thanks. I just can't get excited about a BMW, even though we have owned
them. I just like the special feeling of owning something seen less often. I know the new M3 itself is special, but on the road it is just another BMW. That's why I like my Maser, and am attracted to the AM.

The handling on the AM roadster is pretty good from what I have read. It is apparently quite stiff for a convertible, which is always the issue. Probably better than my Maser in any case.

I am not sure what is going on with Alfa, but that would be an option. Any idea when that will happen and hit the US? So far, the styling of the Alfa 8C
doesn't quite do it for me, but maybe in person it will be awesome.

In all cases, the car would be my daily driver. I do about 1k miles/month, mostly highway driving. Since I am retired, I don't mess with stop and go commute traffic if I can avoid it. I know - I'm spoiled.

Thanks for the input.
Mike

#7 ·
Yeah, but....
There are 1000's of BMW's in the south bay, but just a handful of
Maser's and AMV8's. Another one or two doesn't ruin the party!!!!

I made it to SR once, but that tends to be my golf day, or at least my
working buddies' golf day, so I haven't been back since. I keep it in
mind though.

Thanks
Mike

#11 ·
Well, Cretio, I seem to have hijacked your thread, but at least we're still on the original topic!

I agree that the Porsche is an amazing machine, and bulletproof.
My only issues are that I like the Maser/AM exclusivity. Of course, a high
end Porsche is just as exclusive as the Maser or AM, but it's just that there
are all those 'other' Porsches out there, muddying the waters.... There is no
doubt that Porsche deserves a tremendous congratulations on their ability to
grow the company into more and more niches. It's quite a success story.

My other hangup is the F1 style transmission. I just like it. My memories of
automatic trannys go back to the push button tranmission in Plymouths, and
I just can't get over my bias I guess. I grant that the best of the autos
shift as fast, and hook up as fast, as any manual or F1.
Thanks for the inputs.

Mike

#13 ·
Mike A

Drop top and Sequential tranny definitely narrows the choices:

M6 Convertible
AM V8 Roadster
M3 E93 Convertible (new DSG-type transmission in works)
Lambo Gallardo Spyder
F430/F360/F355 Spyder
Maser GranSport Spyder

I can't think of any of others matching your criteria.

#14 ·
To answer Cretio's original post. . .I think part of the answer lies in whether or not he needs a back seat or not. I compared the AM V8 and the Maser, and I've got an 8 year old, hence the choice was easy for me. . .I purchased a Coupe Cambiocorsa. Couldn't be happier. And, the Maser is still rare enough for me, and with the Tubi, it sounds soooooo nice!
:D

#15 ·
The thread wasn't hijacked. Though the topic has been broadened a bit. :D

I really appreciate everyone's valuable input!

Myself, like most of you guys, prefer the exclusiveness of Maser. I had a chance to drive the AMV8 (manual). The experience was, just like M! described:
the V8 Vantage exhaust's loud mode activates when the valve pops open at 4500rpm. i like the V8 Vantage's note. it has more bass to it. it gives a very primitive/raw roar. it sounds like bombers flying by....

i like the aston's chassis better, it seems more rigid. steering is more nimble. suspension is more direct. it's lighter and more compact. it seems to grip more whereas the GS loves to slide more.... the brakes do need to get used to. the manual transmission is fun. the interior is very nice. the styling of the car is gorgeous. warranty is short one year compare to maserati. it's very difficult to hate the V8 Vantage (or the GS).

i encourage everyone here to test drive a V8 Vantage and see for it themselves. they are both very comparable, fun, exclusive and a good alternative to 911s.
I was pretty impressed with the sound and the handling of the AMV8. Actually, the roar sound started at 4k rpm. :D Very comparable to the CC / GS but in different styles. If I were to put the price tag aside, I know I would wake up and thinking about the one that's not in my garage.

Speaking of M3 and 911, no question they are fine and fun machines. But the M tech 3 series and Turbo look 911s could be pretty deceiving on the streets. Masers and AMs don't have such issues. :cool:

Mike, mind if I suggest to give AMV8 a test drive?

#16 ·
Cretio
I have already taken a test drive in all three of the 'options' - AMV8, Gallardo,
and F430. If there was a followon model to my 2003 Maser Spyder, I'd buy
it without even hinking about it, but there isn't even one on the horizon....
So, my decision is to keep my Maser for a while longer. The warranty runs
out in 4 months or so, but it shouldn't cost more than $3-5K per year to
keep it running, not counting tires and normal oil changes. Still sounds
like a bargain to me, esp since the market value for a modified, high mileage
car like mine is probably only $40-45K!
If this doesn't work, my next rational choice is the AMV8. A bit more
gentlemanly, but still an awesome car. BTW, all you have to do is remove
a fuse, and you have the full sound at all rpm's.
The F430 and Gallardo just aren't practical for every day drivers. You can't
get an F430 Spyder for less than $80k over MSRP, and you are limited to
either a passenger or a bag of golf clubs in either one, and I need to carry
both!!! Hell, my Maser carries a passenger and two sets of clubs - even
better than the AMV8, which is lucky to carry one set in the trunk.
As Panos said, "Engrossments".
I guess I was just spoiled by my first Maser. It doesn't seem like there is
anything in the market that equals it. I suppose that means I represent an
inconsequental, however overengrossed, demographic!
Hope things work out well for you.
Mike

The thread wasn't hijacked. Though the topic has been broadened a bit. :D

I really appreciate everyone's valuable input!

Myself, like most of you guys, prefer the exclusiveness of Maser. I had a chance to drive the AMV8 (manual). The experience was, just like M! described:

I was pretty impressed with the sound and the handling of the AMV8. Actually, the roar sound started at 4k rpm. :D Very comparable to the CC / GS but in different styles. If I were to put the price tag aside, I know I would wake up and thinking about the one that's not in my garage.

Speaking of M3 and 911, no question they are fine and fun machines. But the M tech 3 series and Turbo look 911s could be pretty deceiving on the streets. Masers and AMs don't have such issues. :cool:

Mike, mind if I suggest to give AMV8 a test drive?

#20 ·
Diesel!!!!!!!!!
On a supercar???
they propably will do that, to prove that the LE MAN victories mirror the technological superiority of a well tuned Diesel motor over a Gasoline motor.
IMO, can you imagine a Maser, Ferrari, Lambo, with the soundtrack of a diesel???
I certainly cannot.
The topless R8 though could be an interesting issue.
Seems really nice.

#21 ·
Mike, please don't laugh too hard at the next closest alternative - sibling of AMV8 - Ford Puma - 2007 Jaguar XKR convertible. It has auto with sequential transmission, not quite F1 though.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you! I have my eyes set on an 05 GS. No doubt it's the best choice ! :D

#22 ·
Well, good choice. You'll love the Maser.

As for the Jaguar, it is another very nice car. I had an XK8 prior to my
Maser, and I really liked it. It just drove like the family sedan. No edginess
to it. I can't imagine every considering taking it to the track. In fact it
wasn't until I got my Maser that I learned about track days!!! The new body
style is much nicer, and the power of the XKR is impressive. If I could just
get over my anti-automatic tranny bias, it would be under consideration.

Mike

#23 ·
Hey Mike A i got an idea for you

Why dont you just build one?

I have a Masrati engine tranny and the full rolling chasis. All you have to do is find someone to build the car for you.

We will sell everything to you for a reasonable price if you are interested

#24 ·
Or, another idea. They have two Trofeo's for sale at FMOSF for $120,000 each. I am not sure if they are street legal. They were both at the last
FMOSF track day and they looked and sounded awesome. The guys driving
them were top flight and they flew around the Infineon track.
Not sure how much they would deal on these. Would be tough to make
them into spyders, however....
Mike

Why dont you just build one?

I have a Masrati engine tranny and the full rolling chasis. All you have to do is find someone to build the car for you.

We will sell everything to you for a reasonable price if you are interested

#25 ·
MikeA you have been PMed. I think I have the answer: 90th Anniversary Spyder Cambiocorsa. If you want to stay with a Maserati than this is your baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.