Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the morning of my second day at Pocono (Le Belle Macchine d'Italia) my clutch decides to go on me. It's still at FMoW and haven't heard the verdict.

Just before going up, I had her in for a tech-inspection and let FMoW know that I was hearing a slight, high-pitch screeching sound from somewhere under the car (seemed like rear but, not sure). Based on the description, they thought it might be the pilot bearing but upon returning the car to me, they said they heard nothing & thought it might be the new BMC filter I installed (huh?). I also asked to get a reading on how much clutch I've used to that point. They came back with my having used 45% so, I was pretty pleased with that news.

So, my question is, how could I have had 55% clutch LEFT before driving up to Pocono and put in four twenty minute sessions and end up with massive clutch slippage (if that's what it actually is)? I have to put the gas pedal over half way down to get the car to begin moving and then subsequent up-shifts seem to engage initially; followed by an rpm surge and then a settling down. Also, I noticed a clunking under the car when stopped and switching the lever from 1st to reverse or back again.

Could this be the pilot bearing rather than the clutch plates being worn, could the kiss points be off? Any insight would help before speaking with the dealer as I'd like to be armed with info that would help if this might possibly be a warranty item.

Cheers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
...i'd really GIVE it to FM of washington, if your clutch is gone. not only beacuse it's disgraceful for them to tell you something about your clutch this is not correct, but because it could be a safety issue ...

-best of luck...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
BMC Filter...

I am sure Jeff can chime in here after I do but telling you it's the BMC filter making the squeeling noise is just plain old fashioned B.S.... Only an idiot would say something like that...

As for your clutch, a squeal could be the T/O bearing... I would ask the dealer to give you a current reading on the clutch at this point in time, if it's not close to what you had before then you are pretty much armed... Starting as you did does cause clutch wear, without the DBW, but not enough to have destroyed the clutch.. Once you are moving, it's just like everyday driving on the freeway as far as clutch wear goes...

Jeff has done a lot of racing and setup a lot of our cars, Jeff chime in here, something isn't adding up..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Another question is does the clutch wear sensor actually sense anything or is it really a mileage based reading?

It seems that people have readings all over the map. I know that my reading is way past 100% and my clutch still operates fine while others seem to have their clutch slipping at 60% to 70% readings.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
My experience is...

None of the readings coming from the diagnostic are any good if the system is out of calibration. Your car could say 45% and not really be there. This frustrates many dealers and customers. Bottom line is that it's there to be used as a guide to the dealer mechanics without having to break open the clutch. It is often used to report to customers and sets the wrong expectation.

I can't say for sure if this is the issue. I can tell you that the BMC filter does not squeal. lol ;) and unless there's another major problem with your clutch... you did not wear the clutch significantly with a few runs around the track.

Squealing is probably coming from the throwout bearing, not from the clutch material itself. It would need to be seriously misaligned for that to be the case and again, it wouldn't be the fault of the clutch.

This sounds like a warranty issue to me... When they do replace parts in your clutch be sure that they replace the clutch material itself as the wear caused by whatever failure has happened has most certainly caused excess wear to your clutch and since they are in there... they should replace it.

If Maserati wants people to buy them as daily drivers (which they must to offer a 4 year warranty) they need to support the cars. If they do, I'm sure many of us will buy another Modern Maserati in the near future...

my .02c

-- Jeff

·
Registered
325 Posts
clutch problems

How many miles on your car Vincenzo? I have an 06 qp sport they told me I had 40% with 6k miles on it. I also have an 06 spyder like Vinces' car 2k miles wanted to put the dbw but Algar says it voids the warranty confused still want a gs coupe but 3 F1 trannys am I asking for trouble.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Clutch wear %

I was told by my dealer that they don't use the % wear because it is so innacurate. Rather, they use the actual mm. If I remember correctly, they said that although Maserati says you should get 6 (or 8 mm can't remember!) wear, in their experience it is more like 4 (or 6, I can't remember).

·
Registered
793 Posts
---I was hearing a slight, high-pitch screeching sound from somewhere under the car (seemed like rear but, not sure). Based on the description, they thought it might be the pilot bearing but upon returning the car to me, they said they heard nothing & thought it might be the new BMC filter I installed (huh?).
I doubt that was the pilot bearing you heard although it is possible.

My bet is that the T/O bearing is what is squealing. That's the weak link on Ferrari and Maserati clutches.

Sometimes when its seal goes bad and leaks lubrication it can cause uneven pressure on the PP which can cause clutch disc wear.

Don't rely on the % figures of the SD2. It's a weak safety blanket.

Don't listen to the horsemanure about the BMW filter either.

Find a good independent shop to look at it.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many miles on your car Vincenzo? I have an 06 qp sport they told me I had 40% with 6k miles on it. I also have an 06 spyder like Vinces' car 2k miles wanted to put the dbw but Algar says it voids the warranty confused still want a gs coupe but 3 F1 trannys am I asking for trouble.
JACIRO - My car had just turned 12K over that weekend. 6K and 40% seems like a lot of wear to me for your QP.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Everyone will point to the throw out bearing but the clutch itself can make a howling noise if it is unevenly worn. If it is louder in normal mode (than sport mode) then it is the clutch itself because the TCU engages the clutch slower in normal mode.

I had this issue at 6,000 miles and a replacement clutch (not TOB) cured it.

Now, as to slippage with 45% wear - it is possible. I am at the same point with about 16,500 miles on my new clutch. You should really not consider you will get to "100% wear" (as really this is just a clutch position measurement) so assume at even 45% wear you are 2/3 or more through the life of the clutch, and quite possible you'll get some slip.

I would just get the clutch replaced if it gets too bad.

Curiously my car seems worse cold than hot (make me wonder if friction material is contaminated).

·
Registered
793 Posts
The only squealing I ever heard from a clutch disk was from a severely worn disk whereupon the rivets were coming in contact with PP and flywheel but it does not last very long.

My $ still calls for a T/O bearing problem here.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys....really appreciate the POVs. This should be helpful tomorrow when I get the call from the dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts