Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the real differences between Euro spec and US spec on the Maserati GS ? Am looking to buy a GS in the US to import back (cheap dollar) but would like to know if there are any real differences aside from MPH on the speedometer. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yup. The US spec version has an extra set of Cats I believe... but you can get rid of those easily if you want the extra few hp...

The money saved is worth it though ;]

I will suggest getting an ECU from Forumla Dynamics... tuned for your gas.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Removing cats

Have you or anyone heard an exhaust system with the first set removed, new x-pipe & mufflers? How loud would that be (in the car) I wonder? Yes, Jeff said he has high performance cats to replace the second set.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have you or anyone heard an exhaust system with the first set removed, new x-pipe & mufflers? How loud would that be (in the car) I wonder? Yes, Jeff said he has high performance cats to replace the second set.
US cars have the first cat built into the headers. And then a seperate pipe with the second cat. To eliminate the first cat, you'd have to cut the headers and weld something into place. US Headers are about $2000 for the pair.

Euro Cars have no cat in the headers and only 1 set of cats. From the x-pipe back, the systems are the same. Euro Headers are about $6,000 for the pair.

If anyone is interested in modifying US headers with either highflow cats or a straight through design, I'll have a near perfect set available next week (slight damage to the stock 1st cat cells). PM me for pics and details.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What are the real differences between Euro spec and US spec on the Maserati GS ? Am looking to buy a GS in the US to import back (cheap dollar) but would like to know if there are any real differences aside from MPH on the speedometer. Thanks for any input.
Exhaust comments above. Other differences (not sure what really makes a difference):
Mechanical:
Gas tank filler system
Fuel pump delivery tube
Engine mount
Power Steering Cooler

Coachwork:
Front cross member
Front bull bar
Rear bull bar
Rear child seatbelt upper shelf attachments
Rear trunk lock & release assembly
Seatbelt cover
Odometer/Instrument assembly
Headlights
Front sidemarker
Rear sidemarker
Foglights
Turnsignal bulbs
Lower wheelhouse protection (front & rear)
Upper wheelhouse protection (front & rear)
Engine compartment cables
Ingnition system
Parking sensor
Turn/emergency light relays
Black/Blue Red keys
AC System
Nav CD
Phone Kit (lack of in US)

It's amazing what you can find out by just looking at the parts diagram...did you know the lower suspension arm is different between cars with Xenon lights and without?

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is how my GS (-06) looks from below. Bought it in Germany, so it should be EU-spec, but it sure looks as if I have the header cat...
yea, those are definately the US spec headers, and you've got the second set of cats that the US cars have too

·
Registered
90 Posts
Strange II...

Maybe my headers were the ones closest at hand when they put my car together :rolleyes:
Will dig deeper to try to find out if there are more exceptions from the EU-standard - the obvious ones (speedo, sidemarker, et. c.) ain't there...

Guess the most important will be to check the software for the ECU.

L8r
/F.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts