Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did it! Courtesy of @Kolohe! X pipe installed!
First, if you can, do it on a lift. You need space to move around!
2nd, do it when it’s above freezing lol!
As far as sound: startup is just like with OEM and idle is as well. On hard acceleration and above 5000rpm is when it get slightly raspy (pleasantly so) and then pop pop pop once the gas pedal is released. With the windows up it’s not crazy; on the other hand, bring the windows down and unleash fury! Also noticed the engine breaking I was used to is gone lol- I guess the vacuum created prevents it??? this will likely improve once the engine has remapped after a few days of driving. Anyway 1hr into it I love it. Online videos are very descriptive of how to do it.

Attachments

3,448 Posts
Sweet Jesus that looks totally unsafe...Are you a religious person or something? Invest in a good jack and some jack stands please before you hurt yourself....They are cheap....Jason

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are all completely correct; safety first! Siberian habits die hard, makes sense they should die before I do!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have urutu installed aswell on my gts..

The reason u dont see a difference on startup and below a certain rpm is because the valves are closed

Get the valve control kit and keep valves open on startup and then u will hear the true music :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am so happy there is no difference on startup; I leave for work sometimes @ 5am and do not want to wake up my kids! Very happy with product so far

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m glad u like the xpipe. I leave for work sometimes at 3 am and with the sports cat and xpipe I know I could hear it in the kitchen during the cold start cycle. My neighbors are pretty cool but I know it woke them up, hence the xpipe had to go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just so you know, the x pipe and/or sport cats will trigger error codes every now and then after awhile, especially if you drive like hell (lots of high rpm and revs). Sometimes the codes go away on their own, sometimes the codes are just pending. I think some have experienced that too but others are ok...so don't panic. Of course, the guys who sell these products will always deny and say no codes ever. I have no problems with it cause it's just one of my toy cars and I want that awesome sound with a bit of inconvenience ...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am so happy there is no difference on startup; I leave for work sometimes @ 5am and do not want to wake up my kids! Very happy with product so far
formula dynamics valve control kit.. u can basically control the valves with a remote..

I too would not want to wake up the neighbors but i bought this car for the sound.. not for the cruising experience
So keep valves closed if starting the car at odd hours.. but going from 0-60 with valves open is pure joy!

·
Super Moderator
4,041 Posts
I have urutu installed aswell on my gts..

The reason u dont see a difference on startup and below a certain rpm is because the valves are closed
All the valves default to open when the engine is off and the vacuum dissipates. They will close after a few seconds and vacuum builds.

...unless you have an FD kit or similar (which I can totally recommend)

C

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Th
Just so you know, the x pipe and/or sport cats will trigger error codes every now and then after awhile, especially if you drive like hell (lots of high rpm and revs). Sometimes the codes go away on their own, sometimes the codes are just pending. I think some have experienced that too but others are ok...so don't panic. Of course, the guys who sell these products will always deny and say no codes ever. I have no problems with it cause it's just one of my toy cars and I want that awesome sound with a bit of inconvenience ...
Thanks MaseratiDoodle, I think the first few months of ownership it would spook me when codes come up; I would call the dealership in a slight panic. “Guys this is a new car what’s going on!” Now it’s a normal part of my life! Love the sound, the feeling and smell of leather, and cockpit! It’s timeless to me!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks MaseratiDoodle, I think the first few months of ownership it would spook me when codes come up; I would call the dealership in a slight panic. “Guys this is a new car what’s going on!” Now it’s a normal part of my life! Love the sound, the feeling and smell of leather, and cockpit! It’s timeless to me!
I am contemplating adding the x pipe as well to my 2014 GTS, do the codes go away or does it need to be taken to the dealer to be reset. I put a x pipe on my 2015 Corvette and it sounds amazing at throttle and no codes.

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agree with 2015GTS: no codes. Took 1 day of driving for the ECU to adjust the throttle / engine braking. It “feels” faster / breathes better, but that could just be the improved aural experience. It’s entertaining for the kids to hear me 1 mile away; their performance has improved. The toys are put away before I’m home now!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts