Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to upsize one tire width (i.e. going to Front 245/40/18 and Rear 275/35/18) on the stock 8"/ 8.5" rims on the coupe/ spyder? The rim widths can easily support this size and the speedo error is only 1.2% based on a 1/3 inch diameter increase.

The upside is about 1/2" or additional width (read more grip) and maybe an improvement in the front steering weight (which I find a little light and vague) - plus a bit of curb protection.

Comments/ opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Mike

·
Registered
513 Posts
many have done this including myself, no issues. my car is also lowered using Formula Dynamic Springs. I get no rubbing. I have only put on about 100 miles with the 275s. but initial impressions are they maybe a bit more sluggish, but feels more grounded....just passing, gut impressions.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm planning to do the same thing with my 19's, to get some rim protection and less of a rubber-band-stretched-on-spool-look. Looks like it should fit.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm planning to do the same thing with my 19's, to get some rim protection and less of a rubber-band-stretched-on-spool-look. Looks like it should fit.
you should probably go with 35 and 30, front and rear respectively, with 19 inches.

wider looks better too :) and more traction...

·
Registered
722 Posts
you should probably go with 35 and 30, front and rear respectively, with 19 inches. wider looks better too :) and more traction...
The stock tires on my 19's are 35/30, I was just going to make them 10mm wider, wheelwell fit looks like it will still be OK.

That calculator is handy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tire width upgrade

I just put new Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's on my Gransport yesterday. The tire in 19'' requires you go wider, as Bridgestone only makes 245/35-19 for the fronts and 275/30-19 for the rears. No install problems and the car seems to handle much much better.

i am heading the Sebring at the end of the month for a Track day, so we shall see if there are truly any issues, but I'm not expecting any. If you are looking for performance tires, look into these. They are stickier than the Pilot Sports, cheaper, and still handle well in the rain.

Unless you go Pilot Sport Cups and are willing to compromise your hydroplane resistance, these Bridgestone's seem to be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The calculator tells you what you need to know.

Incorrectly sized tires throw off the speedo and gear ratios.

Do it right and it will pay off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts