Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
There are other vehicles to compare to if you just hate that Porsche mug and center console button hell. My top comparison would be a Range Rover Sport. Can't ride much harder than an RRS. I thought the ride quality of the Levante was a TRUE standout feature. Firm but compliant even in sport! Actually a Sport mode I'd use occasionally. Guess I haven't driven many of the marshmellow brands.

Reactions: StaceyJ

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Levante gets a larger V8 engine and various other updates for 2021: 2021 Maserati Levante Trofeo Coming With Larger Engine.
Are you sure in regards to the Trofeo? More displacement? How much?

I drove the Levante Trofeo last Saturday, a really exceptional car, very great to drive, agile, cool sound. I own a RR Sport Autobiography with V8 supercharger (525hp), but I wouldn't trade it for the Torfeo. The RR Sport feels more sublime, more comfortable, more balanced, more stately, IMO the better car for longer distances. If I want to buy an agile car then I take a sports car. That's why the RR Sport SVR doesn't make that much sense as well for me. But for people who want a sharp, fast and extremely powerful SUV, the Trofeo is the first choice. It definitely doesn't need more displacement... ;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to Carbuzz (which I linked in the first post), as well as various other sources, the engine has been increased to 4.0 liters - up from 3.8 liters - but keeps power at 590hp.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is also possible, as Motor1.com speculates that the GTS will get the 4.0 liter 590hp engine, and the Trofeo an even stronger one (Maserati Levante Trofeo Spied With 4.0-Liter V8, Covered Interior):

"The sticker seems to indicate the Ferrari-built 3.8-liter will be replaced by the larger 4.0-liter V8 making 590 hp; however, it’s not clear if that’s the new base output level, or if that amount of power is reserved for the high-performance Trofeo trim when the refreshed model arrives. However, it would be strange to put a bigger engine under the hood without increasing output, unless Maserati is swapping powertrains to meet ever-tightening emissions regulations. The other possibility is that this larger mill will power both the Levante GTS and Levante Trofeo, making 590 hp in the GTS and making even more in the Trofeo."

The car in the spy photos is not a Trofeo, which would back the conjecture.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My RRS 3.0SC HSE is tuned by ETG with a 3mm smaller pulley to 456Hp/412ft-lbs Tq. It weighs over 500 lbs less than a V8 model so , yup its quick but, I also drive up to Sugarloaf on frostheaved roads all winter and even with 19 in wheels shod with Bridgestone DM-V2 snows, it is the worst riding SUV I've had in 20 years. My 2 X5's absorbed much more impact harshness etc. I love 99% of my RRs, but if they don't exit the ride stone ages [always a weakness of Jag/RR (suspension is why they never won in F1)], a Levante will be on my short list as I'm also done with the German koolaid. There is a leftover 2019 Trofeo at my dealership. I lay in waiting for the firesale to occur.....:whistle:.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
According to Carbuzz (which I linked in the first post), as well as various other sources, the engine has been increased to 4.0 liters - up from 3.8 liters - but keeps power at 590hp.
Thank you merak1974, I am curious how the engines will develop. I guess with the F154 engine Maserati is driven by the developments of Ferrari. And they have to react to McLaren, they have been going from 3.8liter to 4.0liter for quite some time.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Might that slight increase allow Torque to develop at lower rpm?
Sorry about the hijack yesterday.
One thing that is very impressive is the total lack of recalls etc on the Levante thus far. Let's hope these upgrades prove to be as bulletproof.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you merak1974, I am curious how the engines will develop. I guess with the F154 engine Maserati is driven by the developments of Ferrari. And they have to react to McLaren, they have been going from 3.8liter to 4.0liter for quite some time.
This is the last year Maserati will have their engines assembled by Ferrari. From 2021,engines will either be produced by Maserati themselves or "externally" sourced, but most likely within the FCA-PSA conglomerate.The 4.0 liter engine in the spy photo car is possibly not assembled in Maranello.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
So far Maserati has bought the fully assembled engine from Ferrari, but yes, this will change in the future. Maserati will do part of the assembly itself, but the individual components will still be manufactured by Ferrari. Therefore, it seems wrong to me to say "the engines are no longer from Ferrari". They are just shifting part of the assembly from Ferrari to Maserati, and that's it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not bad for us. As ferrari has cranked out more volume, their workshops are now filled to capacity. Not a bad thing to utilize other idle spaces. It all helps the bottom line as long as the skill level of the techs continues to do the excellent job they have done in the recent past.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A huge selling point for me on Maserati was the Ferrari engine. I'll be bummed to see the current arrangement go. There are so many surfaces and electronics in the Maserati that feel cheap. Lots of flimsy plastic pieces and such that I hate, but when I slam the accelerator and I hear that Ferrari engine wake up, I forget all about it.

·
Read Only
83 Posts
That looks like mine. I like the white a lot on that car. It does not feel like driving an SUV, which was one of my requirements for getting an SUV. ;)
wow really! I love the color White on Maserati's, super classy! How cool! wow that is so awesome, so you like your SUV? :) what color? Do you have a pic? I currently have a Ghibli. I attached a pic

·
Read Only
83 Posts
My wife has 17 Levante S
she loves it coming from a......... mercedes ml63 (beast)
like the maser better
oooh thank you! I bet I am going to love a Levante, I am in love with my Ghibli but need something bigger for putting all my shopping bags lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
wow really! I love the color White on Maserati's, super classy! How cool! wow that is so awesome, so you like your SUV? :) what color? Do you have a pic? I currently have a Ghibli. I attached a pic View attachment 131223 View attachment 131224
Damn, that Ghibli is just gorgeous. Nice car.

I do believe that there is room in the Levante for plenty of shopping bags! The extra space is very handy.
Here are some photos of mine.

Wasn’t it nice of my iPhone to mess up the orientation? I have no idea how to fix that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Photos taken with TC on.

·
Read Only
83 Posts
Damn, that Ghibli is just gorgeous. Nice car.

I do believe that there is room in the Levante for plenty of shopping bags! The extra space is very handy.
Here are some photos of mine.
View attachment 131228
View attachment 131229
Lol, Thank you! Damn your Levante is absolutely gorgeous and it is white my favorite maserati color!!! Thank you for the share, im going to see if I can flip it to see the pics better lol
Wasn’t it nice of my iPhone to mess up the orientation? I have no idea how to fix that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts