Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my QP came back from the dealers the cars steering feels too light or twitchy even at motorway/highway speeds. Is the steering on the car speed sensitive and is this adjustable? My other thought it that they messed with the tyre pressures and will buy a gauge tomorrow to check them out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've always thought the QP's steering was twitchy, right off center but you might want to check to make sure your tire pressure isn't set too high.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, just bought a digital meter today and they are all different. The manual suggests 2.2bar all round (32PSI), however the car is

31.5 | 31
-----------
30 | 30.5

A bit of a mess really, will change them tomorrow to 31 all round and give it a try.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, just bought a digital meter today and they are all different. The manual suggests 2.2bar all round (32PSI), however the car is

31.5 | 31
-----------
30 | 30.5

A bit of a mess really, will change them tomorrow to 31 all round and give it a try.
which wheel and tire combo are you running on your QP and are those tire PSI hot or cold?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those pressures are cold, the tyres are Pirelli P Zero Rosso Direzionale. The wheels are the 19inch , 9 spoke OEM alloys.

thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
Tip about tire presure

Just suggesting that you use nitrogen in your tires. Most Ferrari Maserati Dealers have the special machine which sucks the air out, and refills the tires properly. Car really feels better after, feels like there is a better smoother contact patch.

Heres why:

nitrogen is less heat sensitive so minimal increse in tire pressure when heating up.

Next, Nitrogen is a larger molecure, therefore it will leak out of the tires much slower than just air.

Its also lighter if that means anything to you or makes you feel better.

These cars are very delicate and sensitive, all parameters no matter how small will have an effect so maximise the experiance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Most QP's right of the showroom floor come with incorrect wheel alignments.
This is the culprit of unusually premature rear tire wear and weird handling characteristics. I suspect yours is also affected, unfortunatley the only remedy is to have a proper alignment done WITH a full tank of gas and ballast in the front seats. Does the rear end of the car jump around on bumpy corners?? If so this is a dead give away that the rear is out of spec.

Your tire pressures are not way out in left field or that far off from each other, so your handling gremlins are NOT a product of improper pressure.

The other added benefit to Nitrogen in your tires is with the minimal expansion and contraction it will not set off the TPMS (tire monitor) light on cars so equipped.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. The car is an 05, I noticed on the service records "wheel alignment" cost £1300 approx (about 2000USD). I don't have a hard copy of the service records so not sure when this was done. What causes the wheel alignment problem? Can it resurface? On a couple of occasions, in a long high speed corner on the motorway the back end seems to shiftsideways for a moment then settle when doing a reasonably high speed.

Is this problem covered by the warranty?

Just to add, the wheels on the car now are not the same as those when the car had the previous alignment although they are the same size/profile etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It sounds as if your rear end is out of align. How many miles since the worlds most expensive alignment was done??

New wheels, if the same size (tire size), should not affect anything. Were there any other repairs or mods done at that time or prior??

Was there ANY unusual wear evident on the tires removed from your car??

NO it is not covered under warranty ! It is deemed a "wear item" like tires, brakes, clutch etc.

If you do decide to get an alignment, let me know, I have the correct alignment specifications for your QP.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Kent,

I called the dealer yesterday and spoke with them. I may have read the service record wrong(read from computer screen, as yet don't have hard copy) as the service guy said the cost was around £490 (800US) for a wheel alignment. I've had the car two months so he said he would ask the sales side if they would be prepared to pay for the wheel alignment. When he got back to me he said that they would need to take it for a test drive (didn't say either way if they would pay for it) to see if there was a problem. I said that it only occurs under certain conditions (speed, long sweeping high speed corner,incline) and may be difficult to replicate. I asked why they couldn't simply put the car on a jig and check if the alignment was correct but he said the set up time was 1.6 hours for that.

I imagine if they test drive the car they'll find nothing wrong partly because its only at a certain speed the problem occurs ;-) . If that is so, I'd guess I'd take it to a 3rd party who would charge less. Do you have that data to hand in a pdf or similar?

thanks

Simon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts