Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just had a Tubi exhaust fitted on my Coupe CC and have a couple of observations:

It sounds amasing from the outside
It sounds amasing inside at higher revs
It resonates and booms inside at lower revs - 2 to 3k

The probelm that it's a daily driver and I commute along slow and busy roads, as a result it spends a lot of time just being noisy and boomy. I wanted to check that other people suffered this and it wasn't just the quality of the fitting on mine. Or am I just getting old...?

Also the day after fitting the engine diagnostic light came on - is this coincidence or a general issue with aftermaket exhausts on the car?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Most Tubi's have that boominess at lower revs. Some people like it, some don't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too just had the TUBI exhaust put on my '05 Yellow Coupe GT. Funny...I was just wondering if there was a way to make it even louder!! I find myself shifting right around that 2K - 3K RPM range in town to maintain the boominess. Before TUBI, I would spin it out to 4K or 5K RPM's.

The engine diagnostic light has not come on in my car...

·
Registered
242 Posts
PPMaserati said:
I too just had the TUBI exhaust put on my '05 Yellow Coupe GT. Funny...I was just wondering if there was a way to make it even louder!! ...
Best way would be to remove the middle resonators and replace them with aluminum straight pipes. Shouldn't be more than $300-400 and will give you about a 15% increase in sound.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice, sounds like rev it more and fit straight through pipes... wonder if father christmas would bring me some...?

·
Registered
63 Posts
STARDOC said:
Best way would be to remove the middle resonators and replace them with aluminum straight pipes. Shouldn't be more than $300-400 and will give you about a 15% increase in sound.
Hi STARDOC,
Does this mod apply to QPs as well?
Who can I contact to make a straight center pipe for the QP? Will it trigger the CEL?
Any leads would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Sorry to be so ignorant, but I hear a lot of references on the boards to the tubi exhaust, and do not know what it is. I have an '06 GS. I gather from some of the posts that the tubi is similar to the exhause package on the GS. Is this correct?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Avantgarde said:
STARDOC said:
Hi STARDOC,
Does this mod apply to QPs as well?
Who can I contact to make a straight center pipe for the QP? Will it trigger the CEL?
Any leads would be appreciated.
Thanks
Should be no problem to fit a straight pipe. It is the peice that fits between the Catalytic converter and the beginning of the rear exhaust. For the coupe it ended up being a good 15 lb saving as the original mid pipe was a heavy peice, complete with 2 more resonators. You'll get your increase in sound as the middle resonators will be gone.
Sweater, Tubi brand actually makes the exhaust for the GS albeit it is a quiter version that the one most people buy aftermarket. Tubi has 3 levels, with the competition one being the loudest. Most people have the sport or mid level on their cars.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
stardoc-
thanks for the info. i was able to find the tubistile.com site and learn a bit more. i custom ordered my car, so i don't really feel the need to modify it yet. sound is pretty good for a car direct from fty. i am trying to see if there is any significant HP increase. some say yes, as much as 15 HP, and some say, not much.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Tubi Debate

I just had my Tubi removed from my 06 Gransport. I know... many posters must think I am nuts, but while i loved the sound and it certainly got some attention, the truth is that I have enough headaches that I can't control in life. A 3 mile drive with a Tubi is great. A 100 mile drive - exhausting. If this is a daily driver and you like to hear music or may actually want to speak to the hot chick that you hope to pick up in your car, the noise may get to you as well. I will post again after driving with stock exhaust for a few weeks.

·
Registered
835 Posts
...i am trying to see if there is any significant HP increase. some say yes, as much as 15 HP, and some say, not much...
some increase at flywheel about 10 though depends on the dyno...i had mine done in Garden Grove. Nothing noticeable at wheel. don't waste the time and $$$ if it is not the exhaust you are after.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just had my Tubi removed from my 06 Gransport. I know... many posters must think I am nuts, but while i loved the sound and it certainly got some attention, the truth is that I have enough headaches that I can't control in life. A 3 mile drive with a Tubi is great. A 100 mile drive - exhausting. If this is a daily driver and you like to hear music or may actually want to speak to the hot chick that you hope to pick up in your car, the noise may get to you as well. I will post again after driving with stock exhaust for a few weeks.
I must say...what are you thinking :(

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just get the valved version so you can quiet it if need be.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
On my gransport I tried it all, Larini valved, and tubi. Waaaaay too loud for me, sounds like a race car spitting angry flames, and is just awful to sit thru any length of time. You don't need that amount of sound to get noticed, it will make people spit on the floor when you drive by after they curse you out under their breath. Just my experience. The reason for this is because I have the original Larini de-cats. If you have or plan on getting this you won't need an exhaust. The Larini valved I couldn't notice a difference with the valves opened or closed it was like do you want loud or loud? Again, I'm stressing I have the Larini de-cats so this is like a free flowing system.

Now FD has the silenced de-cats, and sport cats. I've heard the Larini valved mufflers with Larini sport cats, better but not by much. It all depends on how you set up. To me, that squished second set of cats has to go at all costs, it's choking the car and robbing power. What's the point of the exhaust if your car ain't breathing right and choking at the front? Doesn't make sense but that's just me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
maseratisportgts
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing