Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the pun. Couldn't help myself.:rolleyes:

I'd like to upgrade my exhaust but I don't want it too loud. Just a more aggressive growl upon startup and launch, but bearable at highway speeds. If I just replace the cat-back boxes and don't put in an X-bend or anything else, are Tubi's beefy but not too much? I put a sport exhaust on my BMW and after about fifteen minutes the drone gave me a headache.

Comments/suggestions from those of you who've upgraded, please.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have a Tubi with no center resonator (GS), and it's pretty loud, with drone. It actually sounds louder inside than outside... But it sounds awesome!

I believe you're going to be fine if you keep the center resonator. Actually, Ron Avery kept the CR and put straight pipes on the back (no muffler) and it sounds very nice, not very loud. You may want to try that first since it's way cheaper than a Tubi.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tubi sounds GREAT!!

I have Tubi exhaust on my 2003 Coupe CC and it sounds FANTASTIC! I get compliments/stares with my car ALL the time. Many, many compliments on the "Awsome sound man". My car is OEM otherwise from the headers back. BTW, loud, but not too loud, from inside the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a Stebro for my 2005 Cambio, I can let you know what it's like. I loved that brand in my lamborghini, it had a deep sound with a roar wide open. It really made it sound the way it should. Doug Grant

·
Registered
181 Posts
A guy put a Tubi on his Granturismo and took it off after one day because it was too loud. He put it up for sale at a aftermarket parts shop and they let me "try it out" on my GT. Yes, it sounds great, and I love the low-pitch rumble, but it is definitely too loud. The inside the the car reverberates to the point you get a headache, and people gave me a lot of dirty looks. If this was my weekend car for purely fun purposes, I would get the Tubi, but since I use my GT as a daily drive, it's a bit extreme. I think something in between the stock exhaust and the Tubi would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I think something in between the stock exhaust and the Tubi would be perfect.
I agree with you. Better yet is the Kreissieg exhaust, where you can switch between loud and quiet, like the OEM but louder.

I've thought about going back to OEM a few times, but every time someone drives my car and I can hear it from outside I change my mind. It sounds AWESOME! But it is loud inside, borderline annoying as a DD.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I disagree with those who say it is too loud. I had an OEM exhaust with tubi mufflers on my 04 Spyder and found that it was not loud enough. The problem was the exhaust was drowned out by wind noise above 75MPH and the car never really sounded aggressive at any speed.

I then went "whole hog" and depacked the pre-cats, replaced the main cats with HPS hi flow units and replaced the centre resonator with a Larini X Pipe. The result was amazing power and response but the car literally sounded like an Indy race car and measured 105db in the cockpit at idle! Needless to say, I found it too loud.

I then went back to the OEM centre resonator and left everything else including the other mods as is. I now have the perfect exhaust. Gargly and deep (but not loud) at idle and low RPM, lots of pops and backfires on trailing throtttle, and a loud screaming bark at full throttle with about 30HP more than stock. I live to hear that car open up!!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You think it's not too loud because you put the center resonator back....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i think it is not loud because it is a spyder.
it reverberates a lot more in a fixed top than an open top.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You may be right, the drone is a lot worse when I have my windows closed. But the CR also makes a big difference.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You think it's not too loud because you put the center resonator back....
Yes. The X Pipe is way louder than the resonator but it gives an additional 10HP and is 20lbs lighter. I think that the X Pipe would work fine if the cats were left alone but the added loudness of going from 4 restrictive cats to 2 high flow cats plus teh X Pipe was too much for me.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
If you're looking for that Ferrari sound and a less boomy (resonating) sound than the Tubi, you definitely want to listen to the Larini Setup.

There are many combinations of products that will work well. We carry mufflers, x-pipe, hi flow cats, full race cats, de-cat pipes, etc... the trick is to intelligently pick a combination that will fit your wants. They are all good products when combined to create the sound you're after.

Feel free to give a call when you've got some free time and we'll help you pick a combination that will work well for you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tubi Install

I am considering getting Tubi muffler & tips for my 02 Spyder GT. Before I make my purchase decision, I wonder how big of an installation job it may be. Does anyone know how many hours it would take a typical shop to do it? Also, will my existing exhaust be retained in working condition (in case I want to put it back on), or will it require the old parts to be cut off?

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am considering getting Tubi muffler & tips for my 02 Spyder GT. Before I make my purchase decision, I wonder how big of an installation job it may be. Does anyone know how many hours it would take a typical shop to do it? Also, will my existing exhaust be retained in working condition (in case I want to put it back on), or will it require the old parts to be cut off?

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!
Should be a direct bolt-on and require no cutting at all...... shouldn't take very long either. I'm sure Jeff or someone else can confirm though.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The shop charged me for 2 hours, but it can be done in 1...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.