Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We installed Tubi mufflers on a QP today.. I didn't have a chance to record a sound clip before I returned the car to its owner, however it sounds AMAZING. Not much louder in the cabin, especially with the radio on, but with the radio off and the windows down its a treat. Lots of burbles and blops on throttle lift and down shifting.

The mufflers themselves are about half the size of stock, and the tips stick out about an inch further.

I stood on the side of the road when my technician road-tested the car, and it sounded great under load as he drove by. I put about 20 miles on the car, mostly highway, while returning it to its owner, and it sounds great. Definately an upgrade worth looking at if anyone wants a more sporty sound from their QP.

- Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
We installed Tubi mufflers on a QP today.. I didn't have a chance to record a sound clip before I returned the car to its owner, however it sounds AMAZING. Not much louder in the cabin, especially with the radio on, but with the radio off and the windows down its a treat. Lots of burbles and blops on throttle lift and down shifting.

The mufflers themselves are about half the size of stock, and the tips stick out about an inch further.

I stood on the side of the road when my technician road-tested the car, and it sounded great under load as he drove by. I put about 20 miles on the car, mostly highway, while returning it to its owner, and it sounds great. Definately an upgrade worth looking at if anyone wants a more sporty sound from their QP.

- Mark
Hi Mark,

Great!
Does it sound almost like the GranSport or the Tubied 4200 Coupe?

Cheers!

·
Registered
312 Posts

- Mark
Thanks Mark - what was the cost?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cost was just shy of $5k installed.

The sound is definately lower pitched than a gransport, I think mainly due to the longer exhaust routing, and the QP just sounds different than the coupe\GS from the start. This might be due to different Cat\silencer designs between the models as well, but I'm not sure.

The new mufflers definately make the exhaust more raspy, but keep a nice deep throaty sound to it as well.

We heard from the owner this morning, she said its "Awesome"..

- mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
During your short drive, did you feel that the power shifts between gears were slightly improved? I understand that several owners who installed the tubis in the coupe felt the subtle 'improvements'.
Would definitely hope to hear a sound clip soon.
Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Cost was just shy of $5k installed.

The sound is definately lower pitched than a gransport, I think mainly due to the longer exhaust routing, and the QP just sounds different than the coupe\GS from the start. This might be due to different Cat\silencer designs between the models as well, but I'm not sure.

The new mufflers definately make the exhaust more raspy, but keep a nice deep throaty sound to it as well.

We heard from the owner this morning, she said its "Awesome"..

- mark
Thank you Mark, very useful info.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have an easy setup for doing sound clips right now, but I hope to add them to my car listings in the near future, so hopefully I'll have a nice setup for that the next time the car is here..

I noticed subtle differences in the car - starting the engine took slightly longer until it actually fired over, and shifts were slightly crisper, but I would say the shifting differences were subjective at best.

- mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't have the opportunity to test drive a QPsportGT just the regular model. I plan on ordering the QPGT soon. Is the sound distinctively more on a sportGT than the standard QP? I haven't found any sound clips on the internet. Should I still consider Tubi-ing it anyways or will it be too much noise. I do want it to "wail" like a 360 but still keep the refined image intact (if that's possible). Also, are there any upgrade programs yet for the QP to boost hp? Just in case I wanna run with the M5s, S600s or CLS 55AMGs. You never know here in SoCal, sometimes it's like 4door Formula1... Any comments would help. Thanks guys

·
Registered
63 Posts
Finally installed TUBI on my QP

Finally sent the QP to my local agent last week and got the tubi installed in less than half a day. When I heard the car first fired up, the engine explosively roared to its preset 4000rpm and thereafter settled down with an urgent grunty idle....I was mesmerised and awestruck!

I know sound wise, its all personal preference but to me, the tubi gave the QP a much bassy deep sound and at the same time provide little resonance. Comparing to original pipes, the stock on hindsight sounds tiny whereas the Tubi growls and howls. The variance in sound levels at idle and lower rpm seems to sound comparatively louder than at the higher rpms although the tubi wails even sweeter when the rpm is above 4000. IMHO, it sounds like a V12 car whenever you are at it. The tubi exhaust simply brings out the best in the race bred Ferrari-Maserati engine and it ozzzes so much PRESENCE when people can hear the car arrive in style at a posh hotel and fine dining restaurant....I have already received several compliments and thumbs up from hotel valets, pedestrains and other road users over the past three days....certainly a head turner and attention grabber.

The exhaust appears to sound twice as loud in the cabin and as Mark has mentioned earlier, you can distinctively hear all the burbles and blops during every throttle lift and down shifting....so much SOUL.

To keep in perspective, the QP still perceives, drives and feels like it should...a thorough bred purely refined SUPER LIMOUSINE for deserving CEOs.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
avantgarde, thanks for the detailed review.
i am going to get a sound level meter and perhaps a video of the QP, before and after the install.
i love the soul and possible a more characteristic note. i am also glad that there is no drowning. can you comment on whether the increase in sound into the cabin affects carrying out a conversation with the rear passenger, for example, on highway cruising speed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Avantgarde,

Great review Im sure it sounds awesome!! Did you feel any improvement in performance, throttle response? Please can you get a sound clip so we can hear the beast!:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tubi 'broken in'

M! said:
...can you comment on whether the increase in sound into the cabin affects carrying out a conversation with the rear passenger, for example, on highway cruising speed?
Hi, it has been >10 days now and having already covered ~800km and the mufflers would have 'broken in' by now so I hope to provide a better review.
The exhaust note does not seem as loud as now as compared to immediately just after the installation. The tone is appears smoother and less 'harsh' now which is good since the QP is meant to be an executive limo.

The idling and low rpm noise from 1000-1500rpm appears to be rather loud and relatively intrusive although the QP is very well insulated. Noise at all other rpms appears to be rather oblivion if one is having an intense conversation at legal cruising speeds. But flooring your throttle will unleash the growls and howls from 4000-redline rpms! I recently had the opportunity to hear a Gransport start up, idle and drove around, the external exhaust note appears to be very similar albeit at ~90% of the Gransport's loudness....don't we all already know that the Gransport has the best sounding exhaust note? WOW!!

I am unable to ascertain an increase in actual performance although throttle may seem a tad more responsive but being able to distinctively hear all the blips, burbles and blops during every throttle lift and down shifting...it has sent my heart fluttering already. I love every moment of this wonderful "PRESENSE' and fulfilling ownership.

Congrats to M! on your tubi purchase, hope to see your review and sound clips soon.
Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Avantgarde,

nice follow up review!! I am still waiting to hear a sound clip of your car!!!! Do post as soon as possible....:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, question...this Tubi exhaust, it won't make my maserati sound like those "street racing" honda's? I think that is annoying... Anyone have a sound clip?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
today my QP received the pair of Tubi transplants.
I am happy for her ;)

When i fired her up, i have this stupid smile and laugh on my face.

I agree with avantgarde's response. so i wont repeat much except with a few more observsations.

the tips are beautiful. slightly more bling than the more or less oval and contoured factory tips. it stands out and rumbles at idle. very sharp looking.

the sound is just Awesome. please check out my new thread on the sound / video clip.

So far i have about 30 km on it; besides the sound, there is a slight increase in vibration into the cabin, at idle, at all speed. there seems to be vibrations from the firewall and also on the gas pedal... i havent had too many passengers in the car to comment on this.

I can't comment much on performance increase. it does seem to rev happier especially in mid range.

The increase in sound does get into the cabin. no more lexus soundproofing. it's good cos you really want to hear it. on the other hand, if you choose to listen to your CD, you will have to dial the music up a couple of notches.

Overall, it opens up the car a bit. If yours is an "executive" gt, forget about installing one, you will be scared of it. If yours is an "sports" gt, you will find what's missing from the factory.

from outside, the sound of the QP is entirely different. it has so much more character, so much more aggressive, so beautiful.

·
Registered
63 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
Hippokrates
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing