Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone is selling a 3 month-used Tubi Muffler for the GranTurismo. He had to take it off because it was TOO loud. The stock muffler sound is a bit too quiet on regular mode, but is a bit louder on sport mode. I would like to upgrade the roar a bit more, but not too much to the point it gets obnoxious. For those with Tubi mufflers, how much of an increase in sound should I expect? Loud enough or REALLY loud?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Rember that it'd be "always on" as opposed to your current settings. TBH, the GranTurismo sounds great to me "outside" though inside is rather tame. I do believe the "outside" sound is what counts the most ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, it will be "just right".

I sugges waiting for the Larini systen :]
I personally like the low tone Tubi sound compared to the Larini's higher pitch. I have heard several Tubi's on QPs, but it's one thing to just hear cars go by and another to drive around with the Tubi and listen to it at high RPMS, low RPMs, idle sound, etc.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In korea, I think it goes for $4.5K new. Guy's asking for more than 50% of the price and my intermediary said that I can probably negotiate it down to 2K. Given that there are less than 10 GTs in this country... and given that most of them think the stock muffler is too loud, I think I am the ONLY person in Korea that would even consider buying this guy's Tubi muffler. I said, I will wait until he realizes that no one will buy it, then buy it for really cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GTKorea,

I should be able to assist in your query having experienced the tubi 1st hand in a GranTurismo in the past month. Not one but 2 cars. Was suppose to give a short write up but too swamped with work. I'm going to throw a question back at ya - are you concerned with the loudness on the inside or the outside? These have been my observations/experience so far:-

1. If I had a GT I would DEFINITELY be getting the tubi. Stock is way too tame even in sport mode. With the tubi the car sounds like it should be on the outside. Very nice low rumble on start up and beautiful growl as the revs increase. It is not obnoxious at all to pedestrians and still lower in volume than tubi on a ferrari. We did a drive with the Ferrari's and they drowned out the GT's tubi all the way. You dont get unwanted attention due to the exhaust from people on the outside. I still feel the car sound just right on the outside with the tubis.

2. Now we move to the inside and how the tubis sound. Let me be honest it is 'LOUD' on the inside and there is resonance between 2 - 3K rpm. I tried the previous 4200GT with tubis (the so called sport version which is louder than regular) which some people found too loud. I felt that was Ok compared to the tubis on the GranTurismo. If you have rear passengers in the GranTurismo with tubis they are the ones to suffer if they dont like the resonance at low revs. The other GT owner with the tubis said his children had a headache after a long drive due to the resonance. It is better for the driver but everyone has their own preference. Above the 3K rpm evrything is pretty normal in the cabin and you hear the 'humming' of the exhaust nothing too intrusive.

Personally, if I had a Turismo, I would go with the tubi but objectively speaking, the resonance doesnt quite go with the 'image' of the car as a luxury cruiser. Further, as Im not an owner of a GT and did not drive it on a daily basis, I really do not know the impact in the long run. If it was my ride and a daily driver, I may sing a different tune. My description is purely as a short term driver/passenger of the car with tubi. Hope this helps you and any other GT owners in making a decision on whether to get tubis. Lastly, I think the talk of removing centre resonators apply more to our trusty 4200/GS models rather than the Turismo. Nuff said!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the great feedback.
I am concerned with the loudness on the outside because I don't want to sound like an spoiled obnoxious punk like most of the exotic car owners in Korea. Exotic car owners here are either very rich older gentlemen that buy "toys" or spoiled 20's to early 30's brats whose mommas bought them the cars. I'm one of the few who actually earned my right to buy a Maserati. Inside, the growl of muffler is like music to my ears, but I'm concerned about how loud it gets on the outside. Passengers in the rear seat of my car just need to deal with it. And my kid chills in the back of a nice, quiet Lexus, so no problems there.
I drive my GranTurismo around 4 days a week for a total of around 50 miles a week (yes, I know it's laughable), and I'm usually alone in the GT going to and from work or out on the town to party on occasion. Judging from your message, I DEFINITELY should get the Tubi.

·
Vendor
4,738 Posts
We do have the X-pipe to replace the stock resonator for the Gran Tourismo in stock. The effect is the same as on the coupe. It's a good upgrade over stock to increase the volume without going as far as the Tubi Mufflers.

·
Vendor
4,738 Posts
X-pipe is $775, need to confirm the pricing on the GT Tubi, Retail price is different from the actual price here in the states. At least the last time I checked the distributor was marking them up more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts